Rocket Propulsion: Understanding the Equation Behind It

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation v = vex * ln(m0/m(t)) and its implications on acceleration and conservation of momentum. It is noted that the equation does not directly mention acceleration, but differentiation shows that it does increase as mass decreases. The equation also highlights the small effect of adding fuel on final velocity and the non-linear relationship between fuel added and final velocity.
aaaa202
Look at the attached picture, which is taken from my textbook. I don't understand the equation:

v = vex * ln(m0/m(t))
If the rocket looses mass at a constant rate, wouldn't that equation then say, that the acceleration decreases as time goes. Since the curve of ln(>1) flattens out. That doesn't match my intution behind conservation of momentum which says that the lighter you are pushing something away from you, the greather acceleration you will attain.

Attachments

• rocket propulsion.png
    rocket propulsion.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 483
Physics news on Phys.org
aaaa202 said:
Look at the attached picture, which is taken from my textbook. I don't understand the equation:

v = vex * ln(m0/m(t))
If the rocket looses mass at a constant rate, wouldn't that equation then say, that the acceleration decreases as time goes. Since the curve of ln(>1) flattens out. That doesn't match my intution behind conservation of momentum which says that the lighter you are pushing something away from you, the greather acceleration you will attain.

Did you mean to say acceleration increases as time goes?

aaaa202 said:
I don't understand the equation:

v = vex * ln(m0/m(t))
If the rocket looses mass at a constant rate, wouldn't that equation then say, that the acceleration decreases as time goes.
That equation says nothing about acceleration, at least not directly. Differentiating it does say something about acceleration:
[tex]\frac{dv}{dt} =
v_e\left(\frac 1{m_0/m(t)}\right)\left(\frac {-m_0}{m(t)^2}\frac{dm(t)}{dt}\right)
= -v_e\frac{\dot m}{m(t)}
[/tex]
So assuming a constant burn rate, acceleration does increase as mass decreases. This is the reason that the Shuttle had to be throttled down near the end of the launch lest the astronauts and equipment be exposed to excessive acceleration.

What the ideal rocket equation (that's the name for this equation) says directly is that adding fuel has a small effect on final velocity. If you want to have a slightly faster final velocity when the fuel is depleted you need to add a considerable amount of fuel at launch. The relationship is not linear.

Related to Rocket Propulsion: Understanding the Equation Behind It

1. What is the equation behind rocket propulsion?

The equation behind rocket propulsion is known as the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation, named after Russian scientist Konstantin Tsiolkovsky. It is used to calculate the change in velocity (delta-v) of a rocket based on its initial mass, final mass, and the specific impulse of its propellant.

2. How does rocket propulsion work?

Rocket propulsion works by utilizing Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In a rocket, hot gases are expelled out of the back of the rocket at high speeds, creating a force in the opposite direction and propelling the rocket forward.

3. What factors affect rocket propulsion?

There are several factors that affect rocket propulsion, including the type of propellant used, the specific impulse of the propellant, the mass of the rocket, and the efficiency of the rocket engine. Additionally, external factors such as air resistance and gravity can also impact the performance of a rocket.

4. How does the specific impulse of a propellant affect rocket propulsion?

The specific impulse of a propellant is a measure of its efficiency in producing thrust. The higher the specific impulse, the more efficient the propellant is at producing thrust, and the greater the change in velocity (delta-v) of the rocket. This makes it a crucial factor in determining the performance of a rocket.

5. What are some real-world applications of rocket propulsion?

Rocket propulsion has a wide range of applications in the real world, including space travel, satellite launches, and interplanetary exploration. It is also used in military missiles, commercial transportation systems such as airplanes, and even in recreational activities such as model rocketry. Additionally, the principles of rocket propulsion have also been applied in other fields, such as medicine and firefighting.