Rocket Fuel Ejection: Intuitive & Math Explained

In summary: Tsiolkovsky equation applies to exhausts instantaneously. The derivation of the Tsiolkovsky equation works as follows: You assume an arbitrary exhaust ##\mu(t)## (exhausted mass of fuel per unit time). Then assuming the relative velocity ##v_f## of the fuel to the rocket being constant yields the momentum balance$$\mathrm{d}_t (m v)=-\mu(v_f-v)=\dot{m} (v-v_g),$$i.e.,$$m \dot{v}=-\dot{m} v_g$$or$$m \frac{\mathrm{d} v}{\mathrm
bob012345 said:
I thought we were discussing throwing all the reaction mass off at once vs. continuous with a number of discreet steps as a bridge. For the case of the ratio ##\frac{m_f}{m_r} = 1##, it all depends on whether there is one reaction mass ##n = 1## or ##n > 1##. What you say is only true for equal reaction mass and dry mass and only one reaction.

In my equation, every reaction occurs in its own inertial reference frame different from the previous reaction reference frame by the additional delta##v## kick of the last reaction. The total accumulated ##v_f## is in relation then to the initial reference frame taken as at rest.
If you throw the mass off continuously there is not much controversy to be found. No one in their right mind would throw out the reaction mass at more than a single relative velocity. You use up the energy in an incremental bit of fuel and you use 100% of that incremental energy to expel 100% of the incremental expended fuel at the maximum velocity that energy can allow.

You would not, for instance, use your liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen to power a fuel cell, use the energy from the fuel cell to power an ion rocket and then dribble the waste water out the back at zero relative velocity. That would be an example of throwing your reaction mass out at two different exhaust velocities. It would be a daft thing to do. You get much better performance by expelling the waste water out the back. So nobody does the daft thing.

If you are handling the fuel in discrete chunks, you would ideally want to do much the same thing. You would want to use up all of the energy in a chunk of fuel and expel all of the expended fuel in that chunk at a single velocity so that all of the expended fuel in that chunk moves off as a blob rather than as an expanding cloud. You could save energy that way (at what would probably be an intolerable expense of practicality).

The Tsiolkovsky rocket equation does not contemplate such an approach. Nor does merely stating "I am going to burn all my fuel at once" necessarily entail such an approach. But if you do burn your fuel all at once, you should pay attention to the freedom you have to choose how to distribute the exhaust velocity of the material you are expending in the impulsive burn.

Physics news on Phys.org
bob012345 said:
I thought we were discussing throwing all the reaction mass off at once vs. continuous with a number of discreet steps as a bridge. For the case of the ratio ##\frac{m_f}{m_r} = 1##, it all depends on whether there is one reaction mass ##n = 1## or ##n > 1##. What you say is only true for equal reaction mass and dry mass and only one reaction.

In my equation, every reaction occurs in its own inertial reference frame different from the previous reaction reference frame by the additional delta##v## kick of the last reaction. The total accumulated ##v_f## is in relation then to the initial reference frame taken as at rest.
It would help if I explained my formula and how I got it.

My rocket is a system of masses consisting of $$M_{total} = M_r + M_f$$ where ##M_f = n m_f##, and n is the number of units we divide the reaction mass into thus for the first reaction mass, $$ v_{f1} = \frac {v_e m_f}{(M_{total} - m_f}$$ Likewise, $$ v_{f2} = \frac {v_e m_f}{(M_{total} - 2m_f} and , v_{f3} = \frac {v_e m_f}{(M_{total} - 3m_f}$$ and
$$v_f = v_f1 + v_f2 + v_f3 + ...v_fn$$ so $$v_f = \sum\limits_{k=1}^n \frac{v_e m_f}{M_{t} - k m_f}$$ which is $$v_f = \sum\limits_{k=1}^n \frac{v_e m_f}{M_r + M_f- k m_f}$$$$v_f = \sum\limits_{k=1}^n \frac{v_e }{\frac{nM_r}{M_f}+ n - k }$$

using ##M_f = n m_f## this can be written as

$$v_f = \sum\limits_{k=1}^n \frac{v_e }{\frac{nM_r}{M_f}+ n - k }$$

$$\large\frac{v_f}{v_e} = \sum\limits_{k=1}^n \frac{1 }{n(1 + \frac{M_r}{M_f}) - k }$$

Last edited:
  • Skeptical
Likes Leo Liu
bob012345 said:

I think we are trying to model the same thing, but what I try to point out is that the relative speed between the ejected mass and the remaining mass at each ejection needs to be ##v_e## if it has to model a discrete version of the rocket equation.

Apparently I am good at botching up my calculations when I try to squeeze them in between morning coffee and leaving for work, but I hope we can agree than if a rocket at rest of initial mass ##m## ejects the mass ##pm## (i.e. ##p(m_r + m_f) = m_f##) in one chunk then conservation of momentum gives ##(1-p)m v_1 = pm v_p## where the speed ##v_1## of the remaining mass and ##v_p## of the ejected fuel are opposite (and relative to the inital rest frame). If we then require ##v_e = v_1 + v_p## in order to let this process "simulate" a rocket with ejection speed ##v_e## it follows that ##v_1 = p v_e = \frac{m_f} {m_r + m_f} v_e##. Compare this with your equation and my first attempt (based on ##v_p = v_e##) which for one ejected chunk (i.e. ##n = 1##) gives ##v_f = v_1 = \frac{m_f}{m_r} v_e##.

My argument for requiring ##v_e = v_1 + v_p## is that the original question asks if (and if so why) it is better to eject in smaller chunks (i.e. continuously in the limit) instead of in one go. For a comparison between the two situations to make sense it is sensible to require the relative speed of any ejected mass at the time of ejection to be fixed at ##v_e##. This is also equivalent to requiring the total amount of work in the two situations to be the same.

Likes bob012345
I just lost all my edits for some unknown reason and have to recompose post #72 above.

• Sad
Likes Delta2 and Filip Larsen
bob012345 said:
I just lost all my edits for some unknown reason and have to recompose post #72 above.
Ok, so my final equation is;

$$\large\frac{v_f}{v_e} = \sum\limits_{k=1}^n \frac{1 }{n(1 + \frac{M_r}{M_f}) - k }$$

I think this is very general. It only uses the total fuel and dry masses and the number of chunks ##n## the fuel is broken into. The ejection velocity is ##v_e## in every instance in the inertial frame where the rocket is at rest. It works for any ##n## from 1 to ∞ where it gives the same results as the rocket equation.

##\frac{M_r}{M_f}## ##n####\frac{v_f}{v_e}##Rocket eq.
1##10^3##0.6933970.693147
1##10^4##0.6931720.693147
1##10^5##0.6931490.693147
1##10^6##0.6931470.693147
0.1##10^3##2.4024492.397895
0.1##10^4##2.3983502.397895
0.1##10^5##2.3979402.397895
0.1##10^6##2.3978992.397895
0.1##10^8##2.3978952.397895

Last edited:
bob012345 said:
It works for any from 1 to ∞ where it gives the same results as the rocket equation.
We both agree on the limit as ##n## goes to infinity, namely the rocket equation, but we also have to decide, as the original question asks, if the final speed of the the rocket when ejecting all fuel at once is higher, lower or equal, compared to ejecting it continuously, and herein lies the difference between the models.

With a simple model (yours, and my first one) where after each ejection the rocket gets a speed change opposite the fuel such that the fuel always has speed ##v_e## relative to the instantaneous rest frame, then you always get ##v_f > v_e## for ##n = 1## (and ##m_f > 0##) which means the equation goes towards the rocket equation from above and this also means this model supports that you get higher final speed if you eject all mass at once, rather than continuously, which is contrary to what is asked to show. As a numeric example, if we take your table entry for ##n = 1## and ##m_r/m_f = 0.1## we get ##v_f = 10 v_e##, which is to say the relative speed between the rocket and the fuel is ##11 v_e##. My question now is, if we end up with ##11 v_e## does this process really model the same rocket as in the continuous case?

In order to get closer to model the same process I then tried to put in the constrain that after each fuel ejection, the relative speed between the rocket and the ejected fuel chunk has to be ##v_e##. This results in a similar equation but now the rocket equation limit is approached from below. This also means that this model affirms the original question. So which one is correct?

I am now not so sure that either of the two above models are a particularly good fit for a discrete model of a continuous rocket. Going further, one could perhaps try to require that the total work in the single-chunk, multi-chunk and continuous case is all the same and proportional to the fuel mass. My immediate problem with this approach is that it quickly becomes fairly messy, and its also not clear to me what the total work in the continuous case should be.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Delta2
bob012345 said:
It would help if I explained my formula and how I got it.

My rocket is a system of masses consisting of $$M_{total} = M_r + M_f$$ where ##M_f = n m_f##, and n is the number of units we divide the reaction mass into thus for the first reaction mass, $$ v_{f1} = \frac {v_e m_f}{(M_{total} - m_f}$$ Likewise, $$ v_{f2} = \frac {v_e m_f}{(M_{total} - 2m_f} and , v_{f3} = \frac {v_e m_f}{(M_{total} - 3m_f}$$ and
$$v_f = v_f1 + v_f2 + v_f3 + ...v_fn$$ so $$v_f = \sum\limits_{k=1}^n \frac{v_e m_f}{M_{t} - k m_f}$$ which is $$v_f = \sum\limits_{k=1}^n \frac{v_e m_f}{M_r + M_f- k m_f}$$$$v_f = \sum\limits_{k=1}^n \frac{v_e }{\frac{nM_r}{M_f}+ n - k }$$

using ##M_f = n m_f## this can be written as

$$v_f = \sum\limits_{k=1}^n \frac{v_e }{\frac{nM_r}{M_f}+ n - k }$$

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/people-jumping-from-a-flatcar.993490/#post-6391280
This is actually similar to a homework question I asked a year ago. As #5 by etotheipi (ergospherical) pointed out, the continuous ejection of masses results in a different terminal velocity than the discrete rejection does.

Filip Larsen said:
...is the equation goes towards the rocket equation from above ... now the rocket equation limit is approached from below...So which one is correct?
If they both approach the rocket equation in the continuous limit, they are both valid.

Which approach is more appropriate in the non-continuous case depends on additional information about the scenario that is not explicitly provided in the question. It can only be deduced from the premise, that the approach from below is to be assumed here.

Filip Larsen said:
We both agree on the limit as ##n## goes to infinity, namely the rocket equation, but we also have to decide, as the original question asks, if the final speed of the the rocket when ejecting all fuel at once is higher, lower or equal, compared to ejecting it continuously, and herein lies the difference between the models.

With a simple model (yours, and my first one) where after each ejection the rocket gets a speed change opposite the fuel such that the fuel always has speed ##v_e## relative to the instantaneous rest frame, then you always get ##v_f > v_e## for ##n = 1## (and ##m_f > 0##) which means the equation goes towards the rocket equation from above and this also means this model supports that you get higher final speed if you eject all mass at once, rather than continuously, which is contrary to what is asked to show. As a numeric example, if we take your table entry for ##n = 1## and ##m_r/m_f = 0.1## we get ##v_f = 10 v_e##, which is to say the relative speed between the rocket and the fuel is ##11 v_e##. My question now is, if we end up with ##11 v_e## does this process really model the same rocket as in the continuous case?

In order to get closer to model the same process I then tried to put in the constrain that after each fuel ejection, the relative speed between the rocket and the ejected fuel chunk has to be ##v_e##. This results in a similar equation but now the rocket equation limit is approached from below. This also means that this model affirms the original question. So which one is correct?

I am now not so sure that either of the two above models are a particularly good fit for a discrete model of a continuous rocket. Going further, one could perhaps try to require that the total work in the single-chunk, multi-chunk and continuous case is all the same and proportional to the fuel mass. My immediate problem with this approach is that it quickly becomes fairly messy, and its also not clear to me what the total work in the continuous case should be.
Ahh, Now I see the difference! My equation sets ##v_e## as the exhaust velocity in the CM frame taken as the instantaneous rest frame and your equation forces ##v_e## to be the relative velocity compared to the rocket. My gut tells me your interpretation is correct. Even for ##n = 1## my formula give a relative separation of ##2v_e## instead of ##v_e##. I need to rethink my derivation and see if I get the same result as you did. Thanks!

Likes Filip Larsen
Also, in an effort to either confuse or enlighten things, consider firing a gun in space. The muzzle velocity is fixed by the chemistry of the reaction. But there is a reaction velocity of the gun too as a result of the impulse. We would need to consider the energy conservation as well as momentum conservation to get the velocities. So far, I have only been considering momentum.

bob012345 said:
We would need to consider the energy conservation as well as momentum conservation to get the velocities.
Yes, I also think that by including "proper" energy conservation one should be able to model a discrete rocket that is more "similar" to the physical limits involved in a continuous rocket. However, exactly how to do this in an easy and elegant way is still a bit elusive ...

Trying to formulate the "sudden ejection model" leads to a mathematical indefiniteness, though. Just assuming
$$m(t)=m_f \Theta(t)+m_i \Theta(-t)$$
leads to
$$\dot{m}(t)=(m_f-m_i) \delta(t).$$
Now plug this into the standard rocket equation of motion (with ##t## as the indpendent variable) leads to
$$m \dot{v}=-(m_f-m_i) V \delta(t),$$
where ##V## is the relative velocity of the ejected fuel wrt. the rocket.

It seems clear that the solution must be something like
$$v(t)=v_f \Theta(t) + v_i \Theta(-t),$$
but it's impossible to uniquely determine ##v_f##, because it's not clear, how to define ##\Theta(t)## at ##t=0## for this problem.

As soon as you regularize the ##\delta## distribution, making ##m(t)## smooth, you inevitably end up with the rocket equation, for which the change of velocity is uniquely given by the Tsiolkovsky equation. So I'd say it's pretty safe to say that this "sudden ejection model" is simply ill defined.

Likes weirdoguy
The most energy-efficient space-to-space journey leaves ejecta with 0 KE : it all goes into the ship. Irrelevant for Tsiolkovsky's equation with fixed thrust... except for the point where the speeds of ship and thrust are equal.

vanhees71 said:
Trying to formulate the "sudden ejection model" leads to a mathematical indefiniteness, though. Just assuming
$$m(t)=m_f \Theta(t)+m_i \Theta(-t)$$
leads to
$$\dot{m}(t)=(m_f-m_i) \delta(t).$$
Now plug this into the standard rocket equation of motion (with ##t## as the indpendent variable) leads to
$$m \dot{v}=-(m_f-m_i) V \delta(t),$$
where ##V## is the relative velocity of the ejected fuel wrt. the rocket.

It seems clear that the solution must be something like
$$v(t)=v_f \Theta(t) + v_i \Theta(-t),$$
but it's impossible to uniquely determine ##v_f##, because it's not clear, how to define ##\Theta(t)## at ##t=0## for this problem.

As soon as you regularize the ##\delta## distribution, making ##m(t)## smooth, you inevitably end up with the rocket equation, for which the change of velocity is uniquely given by the Tsiolkovsky equation. So I'd say it's pretty safe to say that this "sudden ejection model" is simply ill defined.
I did not take the all at once statement on the OP to literally mean a process happening at infinitesimal time but rather all the reaction mass leaving together as opposed to a continuous process.

hmmm27 said:
The most energy-efficient space-to-space journey leaves ejecta with 0 KE : it all goes into the ship. Irrelevant for Tsiolkovsky's equation with fixed thrust... except for the point where the speeds of ship and thrust are equal.
You may have to formulate this optimization problem better. By my reckoning, there is no optimum and no restriction on exhaust velocity.

For any stationary point to stationary point journey you devise, I can devise one that takes less energy and uses a higher exhaust velocity. It'll just take longer.

Let me try again, now with energy conservation.

Using as before ##m_f = p m = p (m_r + m_f)##, conservation of momentum gives $$(1-p) m v_1 = p m v_p , $$ and conservation of energy can be set as $$\frac{1}{2}(1-p)m v_1^2+\frac{1}{2}pm v_p^2 = \frac{1}{2}pm v_e^2 ,$$ where I have used ##\frac{1}{2}v_e## as a measure of the fuels specific (chemical) potential to do mechanical work.

Solving for for the two speeds I get $$v_1 = v_e \frac{p}{\sqrt{1-p}} , $$ and $$v_p = v_e\sqrt{1-p} .$$

Repeating the above but now with the total fuel mass ##pm## ejected in ##n## chunks of mass ##pm/n## each, I get $$s_n = \frac{v_f}{v_e} = \sum_{i=1}^n \frac{p}{\sqrt{(n-pi)p + (n-pi)^2}} .$$

Putting in some numbers (as shown below), it seems that this again converges on the continuous rocket in the limit, but again from above in all cases. So, if we compare the continuous rocket with a burning the same amount of fuel and use that energy to send the exhaust out as one single chunk it looks like it does pay off a little bit, especially for higher ##p##. For example, for ##p = 0.9## we should get around 24% more speed by collecting all the exhaust and sending it out as one chunk. I am not sure I really can make sense of that statement.

##p####s_1####s_2####s_3####s_4####s_5####s_\infty = -ln(1-p)##
0.1​
0.105409​
0.105373​
0.105366​
0.105364​
0.105362​
0.105361​
0.2​
0.223607​
0.223260​
0.223196​
0.223173​
0.223162​
0.223144​
0.3​
0.358569​
0.357159​
0.356891​
0.356797​
0.356753​
0.356675​
0.4​
0.516398​
0.512282​
0.511479​
0.511194​
0.511062​
0.510826​
0.5​
0.707107​
0.696923​
0.694856​
0.694115​
0.693769​
0.693147​
0.6​
0.948683​
0.925515​
0.920530​
0.918707​
0.917847​
0.916291​
0.7​
1.278019​
1.226715​
1.214719​
1.210176​
1.207995​
1.203973​
0.8​
1.788854​
1.671098​
1.640113​
1.627637​
1.621431​
1.609438​
0.9​
2.846050​
2.525586​
2.425515​
2.380467​
2.356248​
2.302585​

jbriggs444 said:
You may have to formulate this optimization problem better. By my reckoning, there is no optimum and no restriction on exhaust velocity.

For any stationary point to stationary point journey you devise, I can devise one that takes less energy and uses a higher exhaust velocity. It'll just take longer.
True, "journey" does imply a deceleration at some point ; I misspoke - the thread is about whether a greater velocity can be achieved through a big boom, or an extended burn. The former wastes (at least) half the expended energy, not counting thermal.

Filip Larsen said:
Let me try again, now with energy conservation.

Using as before ##m_f = p m = p (m_r + m_f)##, conservation of momentum gives $$(1-p) m v_1 = p m v_p , $$ and conservation of energy can be set as $$\frac{1}{2}(1-p)m v_1^2+\frac{1}{2}pm v_p^2 = \frac{1}{2}pm v_e^2 ,$$ where I have used ##\frac{1}{2}v_e## as a measure of the fuels specific (chemical) potential to do mechanical work.

Please check your energy conservation equation; $$\frac{1}{2}(1-p)m v_1^2+\frac{1}{2}pm v_p^2 = \frac{1}{2}pm v_e^2 ,$$ What does ## \frac{1}{2}pm v_e^2## mean? I think ##s_1## for ##p = 0.5## where mass of the rocket and fuel are equal, should be exactly 0.5 shouldn't it?

Meanwhile, I re-derived my formula keeping ##v_e## fixed as the relative velocity;

$$\Large \frac{v_f}{v_e} = \sum\limits_{k=1}^n \Large\frac{1}{n(1 + \frac{m_r}{m_f}) -k +1}$$

Where ##v_f## means final velocity of the rocket after the ejection and ##m_f## means a mass of fuel It's almost identical except for the additional 1 in the denominator. For a mass ratio of 1 and one chunk I get $$\large\frac{v_f }{v_e} = \large\frac{1}{2}$$

##\frac{m_r}{m_f}####n####\frac{v_f}{v_e}##Rocket equation
1##10^3##0.6928970.693147
1##10^4##0.6931220.693147
1##10^5##0.6931450.693147
1##10^6##0.6931470.693147
Before I was assuming ##v_e## was with respect to an instantaneous Center of Mass frame;
$$ v_{f1} = \frac {v_e m_f}{(M_{total} - m_f)}$$
Now, forcing ##v_e## to be the relative velocity I get
$$ v_{f1} = \frac {v_e m_f}{M_{total} }$$
If we let ##m_f## approach a differential, it is easy to see how both would give the Tsiolkovsky/Goddard rocket equation;

$$\large dv = \large\frac{v_e dm }{m}$$

$$\large v_f = -v_e \large\int_{m_i}^{m_f} \frac{1}{m} \,dm = v_e \ln(\frac{m_i}{m_f})$$

So I conclude the OP was correct that the continuous burn is better. I believe that is related to the Oberth effect;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberth_effect

Last edited:
hmmm27 said:
True, "journey" does imply a deceleration at some point ; I misspoke - the thread is about whether a greater velocity can be achieved through a big boom, or an extended burn. The former wastes (at least) half the expended energy, not counting thermal.
Hmmm. Does it? If I shoot a bullet from a gun, almost all of the energy in the propellant winds up in the bullet, not in the gun. (Idealizing away the waste energy in the muzzle gasses).

Last edited:
bob012345 said:
What does ## \frac{1}{2}pm v_e^2## mean?
The ejected fuel mass ##pm = m_f ## has a effective chemical potential for work that is released and converted into kinetic energy of the fuel and the remaining mass. For ##m_f \approx 0## (i.e. in the limit when ##m_f \ll m_r##) we know the fuel is ejected with speed ##v_e##, hence I choose to model the available energy when ##m_f## is ejected as ##\frac{1}{2}m_f v_e^2##. When ## m_f \not\ll m_r ## this energy is then distributed between the ejected chunk and the remaining mass.

bob012345 said:
I think ##s_1## for ##p = 0.5## where mass of the rocket and fuel are equal, should be exactly 0.5 shouldn't it?
No. For ##p = 0.5## and ## n = 1## the speed of ejected fuel and the remaining rocket (relative to the center of mass) should be equal, and they are as both are equal to ##v_e / \sqrt{2}##. As you can also see in the table, ##s_1## is relatively much closer to the rocket equation speed at ##s_\infty## than ##0.5 v_e## is.

Filip Larsen said:
No. For ##p = 0.5## and ## n = 1## the speed of ejected fuel and the remaining rocket (relative to the center of mass) should be equal, and they are as both are equal to ##v_e / \sqrt{2}##. As you can also see in the table, ##s_1## is relatively much closer to the rocket equation speed at ##s_\infty## than ##0.5 v_e## is.
OK. I saw no assertion about p=0.5 in #87.

Filip Larsen said:
The ejected fuel mass ##pm = m_f ## has a effective chemical potential for work that is released and converted into kinetic energy of the fuel and the remaining mass. For ##m_f \approx 0## (i.e. in the limit when ##m_f \ll m_r##) we know the fuel is ejected with speed ##v_e##, hence I choose to model the available energy when ##m_f## is ejected as ##\frac{1}{2}m_f v_e^2##. When ## m_f \not\ll m_r ## this energy is then distributed between the ejected chunk and the remaining mass.No. For ##p = 0.5## and ## n = 1## the speed of ejected fuel and the remaining rocket (relative to the center of mass) should be equal, and they are as both are equal to ##v_e / \sqrt{2}##. As you can also see in the table, ##s_1## is relatively much closer to the rocket equation speed at ##s_\infty## than ##0.5 v_e## is.
Assuming the CM stays fixed for the ##p = 0.5, n = 1## case, if both velocities are equal and opposite, would not the relative velocity then be twice ##v_e / \sqrt{2}## or ## \sqrt{2} v_e##which violates the assumption that ##v_e## is the relative velocity?

There are two historical scenarios this thread brings to mind.

First, The Baltimore Gun Club in Jules Verne's From the Earth to the Moon where the "rocket" was launched by a rather large cannon. This has obvious problems with massive acceleration. It is interesting that Verne did not think of rockets since they existed. The second is project Orion where the proposed interstellar spaceship was powered by a series of discreet nuclear explosions. This has obvious problems with politics and international agreements.

https://www.ans.org/news/article-1294/nuclear-pulse-propulsion-gateway-to-the-stars/

Last edited:
bob012345 said:
The second is project Daedalus
You are missing, of course, the best exemplar: Project Orion with the likes of Theodore Taylor and Freeman Dyson working apace. Great films.

Likes bob012345
hutchphd said:
You are missing, of course, the best exemplar: Project Orion with the likes of Theodore Taylor and Freeman Dyson working apace. Great films.
That's what I meant, Orion with pulsed nuclear bombs. The link discussed both Orion and Daedalus.

Last edited:
Likes hutchphd
jbriggs444 said:
Hmmm. Does it? If I shoot a bullet from a gun, almost all of the energy in the propellant winds up in the bullet, not in the gun. (Idealizing away the waste energy in the muzzle gasses).
True, but compare the same bullet fired from a pistol and a rifle. I would expect the rifle fired bullet to end up with a higher velocity. In effect, it has a longer "burn".

bob012345 said:
Assuming the CM stays fixed for the ##p = 0.5, n = 1## case, if both velocities are equal and opposite, would not the relative velocity then be twice ##v_e / \sqrt{2}## or ## \sqrt{2} v_e##which violates the assumption that ##v_e## is the relative velocity?
You and I have now discussed three different models on top of conservation of momentum that leads to different expressions for single-chunk speeds. The last one you are quoting from uses energy conservation such that at across each ejection the total kinetic energy after is equal to the available chemical potential for work in the fuel to be ejected. This means after each ejections the speed does not necessarily sum up to anything special, but the corresponding kinetic energy does sum up to what it should.

In the quoted case with ##p = 0.5## and ##n = 1## both speeds are ##v_e / \sqrt{2} ## so both the ejected fuel and the remaining rocket, each of mass ## \frac{1}{2} m ##, has the kinetic energy ## \frac{1}{2} m (v_e / \sqrt{2})^2 = \frac{1}{4} m v_e^2 ## which means the total kinetic energy is ## \frac{1}{2} m v_e^2## as required.

jbriggs444 said:
OK. I saw no assertion about p=0.5 in #87.
You lost me with the reference to post #87 so I am not sure what you are trying to point out. Can you clarify?

bob012345 said:
True, but compare the same bullet fired from a pistol and a rifle. I would expect the rifle fired bullet to end up with a higher velocity. In effect, it has a longer "burn".
Not if one idealizes away the energy in the muzzle gasses. The point of the rifle is to capture more of that.

Likes bob012345
jbriggs444 said:
Not if one idealizes away the energy in the muzzle gasses. The point of the rifle is to capture more of that.
In that case yes so its probably not the best example in this debate. This problem could equally use idealized springs.

Last edited:
Likes jbriggs444
Filip Larsen said:
You and I have now discussed three different models on top of conservation of momentum that leads to different expressions for single-chunk speeds. The last one you are quoting from uses energy conservation such that at across each ejection the total kinetic energy after is equal to the available chemical potential for work in the fuel to be ejected. This means after each ejections the speed does not necessarily sum up to anything special, but the corresponding kinetic energy does sum up to what it should.

In the quoted case with ##p = 0.5## and ##n = 1## both speeds are ##v_e / \sqrt{2} ## so both the ejected fuel and the remaining rocket, each of mass ## \frac{1}{2} m ##, has the kinetic energy ## \frac{1}{2} m (v_e / \sqrt{2})^2 = \frac{1}{4} m v_e^2 ## which means the total kinetic energy is ## \frac{1}{2} m v_e^2## as required.
OK, that's fine but I just wasn't clear you were changing the assumption of fixed ##v_e## for that case. For this problem I am not convinced we need to concern ourselves with the energy. It is assumed to be whatever is necessary to eject a quantity of mass ##m_f## at the velocity ##v_e## relative to the rocket and is assumed the rocket engine is ideally efficient in converting chemical energy to kinetic energy. In my model it was assumed conserved at each ejection too. It should be linear in mass ejected relative to the rocket engine.

Last edited:
bob012345 said:
In my model it was assumed conserved at each ejection too. It should be linear in mass ejected relative to the rocket engine.
The kinetic energy should be linear in the amount of mass expelled, yes. But that does not entail that the exhaust velocity of a non-infinitesimal exhaust packet will be constant independent of packet size. The exhaust velocity relative to the CM frame will vary with the mass ratio of the exhaust packet to the remaining gross vehicle weight. [Apologies if I am preaching to the choir]

jbriggs444 said:
The kinetic energy should be linear in the amount of mass expelled, yes. But that does not entail that the exhaust velocity of a non-infinitesimal exhaust packet will be constant independent of packet size. The exhaust velocity relative to the CM frame will vary with the mass ratio of the exhaust packet to the remaining gross vehicle weight. [Apologies if I am preaching to the choir]
Of course but ##v_e## is not relative to the CM frame but to the rocket. For a massive rocket and small mass of ejected fuel they are almost equal. That's what took me a while to get but I did thanks to @Filip Larsen.

bob012345 said:
Of course but ##v_e## is not relative to the CM frame but to the rocket. That's what took me a while to get.
OK. For a finite exhaust pellet, this ##v_e## is still not completely determined by the fuel energy density, but by the fuel energy density in conjunction with the mass ratio of the packet to the payload.