Rocket Angle Change Rate Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the rate of change of the angle that a bystander makes with a rocket that is 1/2 miles in the air and traveling at 40 mi/h. The solution involves setting up a triangle and using the Pythagorean Theorem and trigonometric functions to find the desired rate of change. The conversation also addresses the use of variables and units in the solution.
physstudent1

Homework Statement

A rocket is 1/2 miles in the air going 40mi/h a bystander is standing 1 mile away from where the rocket took off straight up. What is the rate of change of the angle that the bystander makes with the rocket.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up a triangle and got tan(theta)=y. Then I took the derivative and got dtheta/dt * sec^2(theta) = dy/dt. from here I'm kinda lost it seems like i won't be able to do it now because I have to do this without a calculator so how would I calculate the theta at the time where y=1/2 its not a common angle...?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right that it's not a common angle, but do you really need the angle [itex]\theta[/itex]? You're looking for [itex]\sec(\theta)[/itex] so why don't you use the Pythagorean Theorem, figure out what your hypotenuse is, and then you can find [itex]\sec(\theta)[/itex] without having to know [tex]\theta[/tex]

Well, one of your problems is that you do not have enough variables. Try defining the 1/2 miles part x and set up a tan theta= x/1 equation to differentiate.

How do you figure there aren't enough variables? With the derived equation one can very easily solve for [tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex] which is what we desire. Furthermore, you'll notice that what you suggested, is EXACTLY what physstudent1 did.

physstudent1 said:
I set up a triangle and got tan(theta)=y. Then I took the derivative and got dtheta/dt * sec^2(theta) = dy/dt.

Ok,
define the 1/2 mile part to be x. Now set up the equation tan(theta)=x/1. Differentiate and get sec^2(theta)*dtheta/dt=dx/dt. Solve the triangle at the time when x = 1/2, and you find that the hypotenuse is sqrt(5)/2. Solve for sec(theta)^2. Plug in your 40 mph for dx/dt and rearrange the varibles.

Does that make sense, Kerizhn? I don't know that I did it right, but I get an answer for the problem.

Oh,
Remember to divide your dtheta/dt by 60 to get radians per second change.

Younglearner, I'm not sure if you're trying to show us a different way of doing things here, but you emulated precisely what physstudent 1 did in the original post, only with a different variable name.

Furthermore, you just proved that physstudent1 did indeed have enough variables. I'm not exactly sure what the point of just repeating everything we've already done is...

Related to Rocket Angle Change Rate Calculation

1. What are related rates in the context of a rocket?

Related rates in the context of a rocket refer to the change in various quantities, such as position, velocity, and acceleration, that are related to each other as the rocket moves through space. These rates are often analyzed using calculus to understand the behavior of the rocket.

2. How do you determine the related rates of a rocket?

Determining the related rates of a rocket involves using mathematical calculations and equations, such as the chain rule, to find the relationship between different variables and their rates of change. This can help predict the future behavior of the rocket.

3. What are some factors that can affect the related rates of a rocket?

The related rates of a rocket can be affected by various factors, such as the rocket's thrust, mass, air resistance, and gravitational pull. These factors can impact the rocket's acceleration and velocity, which in turn affect the related rates.

4. How can related rates be used to improve rocket design?

By analyzing the related rates of a rocket, scientists and engineers can identify areas where the rocket's design can be improved. For example, by understanding how air resistance affects the rocket's velocity, they can make modifications to reduce drag and improve its performance.

5. What are some real-world applications of related rates in rocket science?

Related rates are crucial in rocket science for predicting the trajectory and behavior of rockets. They are also used in designing rocket engines, understanding the effects of varying forces on a rocket, and calculating optimal launch conditions. Additionally, related rates play a role in space exploration and satellite missions.