Robotics Kit for Beginners: $1,000 Budget

In summary, the conversation is about finding a good entry level robotics kit within a budget of $1,000. The person is looking for a kit with essential components, computer interface, and customizable programming. They want to start from scratch and put it together themselves. Some suggestions mentioned include LEGO® MINDSTORMS® NXT 2.0, Arduino, and Makerbot Thing-o-Matic. Another suggestion is to look into BEAM robotics, which involves using used parts to build robots.
apc3161
Hello all,

I was wondering if any of you knew of a really good entry level robotics kit and where I could get one. My budget is probably around $1,000.

I'm looking for a kit that has all the essential components, a computer interface, customizable programming etc.

I don't know much about robotics (I just have a bachelors in mech. eng), so I want to start from scratch, put it together myself, program it etc.

Obviously though, since this is my first attempt, it shouldn't be too complicated. If anyone knows of a good place to start I would appreciate it. Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
see for starters

LEGO® MINDSTORMS® NXT 2.0
Price USD 279.99
Item #: 8547

(open source)

http://www.arduino.cc/

http://store.makerbot.com/makerbot-thing-o-matic.html

all these I have used or am using.

Last edited by a moderator:
An entry level kit for $1000?

Related to Robotics Kit for Beginners: $1,000 Budget

1. What is included in the robotics kit for beginners?

The robotics kit for beginners typically includes a microcontroller, motors, sensors, software, and other necessary components to build and program a basic robot. It may also include step-by-step instructions and tutorials for beginners.

2. Can the robotics kit be used by children?

Yes, most robotics kits for beginners are designed to be easy to use and suitable for children as young as 8 years old. However, adult supervision may be required for younger children.

3. Is the budget of $1,000 enough to purchase a quality robotics kit?

With a budget of $1,000, you can definitely find a high-quality robotics kit that includes all the necessary components and software. However, the price may vary depending on the brand and features of the kit.

4. What skills are required to use a robotics kit for beginners?

No prior knowledge or skills are required to use a robotics kit for beginners. However, having a basic understanding of coding and electronics can be helpful in building and programming the robot.

5. Can the robotics kit be used for advanced projects?

Most robotics kits for beginners are designed for basic projects, but with some modifications and additional components, you can use it for more advanced projects. However, for advanced projects, it is recommended to invest in a more advanced robotics kit with more features and capabilities.