RKKY Interaction: Defining $\hat{H}$

• Thread starter LagrangeEuler
  • Start date
In summary, the Hamiltonian of interaction between a fixed ion and conducting electron is defined as \hat{H}=-J\sum_{i=1}^2\{\hat{s}_i^z\hat{S}_i^z+\frac{1}{2}(\hat{s}_i^+\hat{S}_i^{-}+\hat{s}_i^-\hat{S}_i^{+})\}, where the index i represents the number of particles involved, specifically two fixed ions and a polarized electron. The electron and ion are considered to be on the same lattice site for the purpose of approximation. The details of calculating the matrix element for this problem can be found in the provided link.
LagrangeEuler
Hamiltonian of interaction between fixed ion and conducting electron
##\hat{H}=-J\sum_{i=1}^2\{\hat{s}_i^z\hat{S}_i^z+\frac{1}{2}(\hat{s}_i^+\hat{S}_i^{-}+\hat{s}_i^-\hat{S}_i^{+})\}##
Why both electron and ion are defined with subscript ##i##?

Physics news on Phys.org
...and why does i run from 1 to 2?

Looks like a bug to me.

One would think that you need separate indices i and j to label the atoms and the (conduction) electrons, and that these would run over the number of particles in question.

There is two fixed ions. One ion polarised electron and that electron interract with secound ion. So between ions is indirect interraction.

OK, that makes sense. However, I would still expect the electron index to be independent of the ion. Remember that RKKY occurs in the conduction electrons of metals.

Well I think that if electron is near ion you could approximate that it is on the same lattice site ion lattice site. I asked question about calculating matrix element in this problem.
Here is that question.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=646675

I would be grateful if you could look and maybe answer this question.

Related to RKKY Interaction: Defining $\hat{H}$

1. What is the RKKY interaction?

The RKKY interaction is a type of exchange interaction between localized magnetic moments in a material. It is named after Rudolf Peierls, Marc Kikoin, and Tōru Kōsaku Yosida, who first described it in the 1950s.

2. How is the RKKY interaction defined?

The RKKY interaction is defined by a Hamiltonian, denoted as $\hat{H}$, which describes the energy associated with the interaction between localized magnetic moments in a material.

3. What factors affect the strength of the RKKY interaction?

The strength of the RKKY interaction is influenced by several factors, including the distance between the localized magnetic moments, the relative orientations of the moments, and the density of electrons in the material.

4. What is the significance of the RKKY interaction in materials research?

The RKKY interaction plays a crucial role in understanding the magnetic properties of materials, particularly in systems with competing magnetic interactions. It also has implications in spintronics and quantum computing.

5. How is the RKKY interaction experimentally measured?

The RKKY interaction can be indirectly measured through techniques such as neutron scattering and nuclear magnetic resonance. It can also be probed directly using spin-polarized scanning tunneling microscopy.