All-atom simulation and coarse-grained simulations

In summary, the paper by Noid et. al. discusses a linear mapping between atomistic and coarse-grained simulations by defining a Hamiltonian for both frames of reference. The authors then evaluate forces on the coarse-grained model using equations 22-26, which includes the use of integration by parts. The paper also presents equation 23, which explains the relationship between partial derivatives in terms of the delta function. However, this equation is purely mathematical and may not be relevant to molecular dynamics.
Sat D
TL;DR Summary
I have been studying molecular dynamics and simulation, and I want to learn and perform coarse-grained simulations. I have been reading about these, and I have a question about the math.
I am currently reading this [paper by Noid et. al.](https://doi.org/10.1063/1.2938860) on the rigorous bridge between atomistic and coarse-grained simulations.

In the paper, he defined a linear map from the atomistic coordinates and momenta $$\mathbf{r}^n, \mathbf{p}^n$$ to the coarse-grained coordinates $$\mathbf{R}^N, \mathbf{P}^N$$ He then defined the Hamiltonian for both frames of reference, $$h\, (\text{all-atom}),H \,(\text{CG})$$

The part of the paper I don't understand is when they evaluate the forces on the CG model (equations 22-26).
They write,
$$ \mathbf{F}_I(\mathbf{R}^N) = -\frac{\partial U (\mathbf{R}^N)}{\partial \mathbf{R}_I} = \frac{k_BT}{z(\mathbf{R}^N)}\frac{\partial z(\mathbf{R}^n)}{\partial \mathbf{R}_I} = \frac{k_BT}{z(\mathbf{R}^N)} \int d\mathbf{r}^n \exp(-u(\mathbf{r}^n)/k_BT)\prod_{J\neq I} \delta (M_{RJ}(r^n)-\mathbf{R}_J)\frac{\partial}{\partial \mathbf{R}_I}\delta \left( \sum _{i\in \mathcal{I}_I } c_{Ii}\mathbf{r}_i-\mathbf{R}_I\right)$$

This is the part that confuses me. I know $$\mathbf{R}_I = \sum _{i\in \mathcal{I}_I} c_{Ii}\mathbf{r}_i$$
So shouldn't $$\frac{\partial X}{\partial \mathbf{R}_I} = \sum _{i\in \mathcal{I}_I} \frac{\partial X}{\partial \mathbf{r}_i} \frac{\partial \mathbf{r}_i}{\mathbf{R}_I} = \sum _{i\in \mathcal{I}_I}\frac{\partial X}{\partial \mathbf{r}_i}\frac{1}{c_{Ii}}$$
be the case?
However, equation 23 simply states that
$$\frac{\partial}{\partial \mathbf{R}_I} \delta \left( \sum _{i\in \mathcal{I}_I} c_{Ii}\mathbf{r}_i - \mathbf{R}_I \right) = -\frac{1}{c_{Ik}} \frac{\partial }{\partial \mathbf{r}_k} \delta \left(\sum _{i\in \mathcal{I}_I} c_{Ii}\mathbf{r}_i - \mathbf{R}_I\right)$$

How does this equation work?

Furthermore, I don't understand how they perform integration by parts on the higher-dimensional integral they have here, and arrive at the equation that they do. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me reach equation 26 from equation 22 in the paper.

I appreciate any advice that you may have!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sat D said:
However, equation 23 simply states that
$$\frac{\partial}{\partial \mathbf{R}_I} \delta \left( \sum _{i\in \mathcal{I}_I} c_{Ii}\mathbf{r}_i - \mathbf{R}_I \right) = -\frac{1}{c_{Ik}} \frac{\partial }{\partial \mathbf{r}_k} \delta \left(\sum _{i\in \mathcal{I}_I} c_{Ii}\mathbf{r}_i - \mathbf{R}_I\right)$$

How does this equation work?

I'm unfamiliar with molecular dynamics, but that equation is saying something purely mathematical. It's just saying that
$$\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \delta \left( x-y \right) = -\frac{\partial}{\partial y} \delta \left( x-y \right)$$
to re-write it in a suggestive form, let ##z = -y##, then
$$\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \delta \left( x+z \right) = \frac{\partial}{\partial z} \delta \left( x+z \right)$$
which should be easy to see because the delta function is symmetric in x and z

Related to All-atom simulation and coarse-grained simulations

1. What is the difference between all-atom simulation and coarse-grained simulations?

All-atom simulation is a type of molecular dynamics simulation that models every atom in a system, taking into account their interactions and movements. On the other hand, coarse-grained simulations use simplified representations of molecules, such as beads or groups of atoms, to reduce the computational complexity of the simulation.

2. What are the advantages of using coarse-grained simulations?

Coarse-grained simulations can simulate larger systems and longer time scales compared to all-atom simulations, making them more efficient. They also provide a simplified view of the system, allowing for easier interpretation of results and identification of important interactions.

3. What are the limitations of all-atom simulations?

All-atom simulations require a large amount of computational power and time to accurately model complex systems. They also struggle to capture rare events and long time scales, making them less suitable for studying certain processes.

4. How are all-atom and coarse-grained simulations used in research?

All-atom simulations are often used to study small systems, such as individual molecules, and to understand detailed interactions and dynamics. Coarse-grained simulations are useful for studying larger systems, such as biological membranes, and to investigate longer time scales and collective behavior.

5. Can all-atom and coarse-grained simulations be combined?

Yes, all-atom and coarse-grained simulations can be used together in multiscale simulations. This approach combines the advantages of both methods, allowing for the study of complex systems at different levels of detail and time scales.