River Velocity Calculation with Kinematics Equations

In summary, the boat takes 2.6 hours to travel 28.43 km down the river and 5.5 hours to return. Using the linear uniform motion equation, the speed of the boat is calculated to be 8.05 km/hr or 2.236 m/s. The velocity of the river is then determined to be 1.6 m/s by subtracting the downstream and upstream velocities of the boat. If this answer is incorrect, vector algebra equations may need to be applied to solve the problem accurately.
dougr81
A boat takes 2.6 hours to travel 28.43 km down a river, then 5.5 hours to return. How fast is the river flowing?

So we want to find the velocity the river has.

I'm not sure I even started this right.
First I converted 2.6 hours to seconds = 9360 s
Then 5.5 hours to seconds = 19800 s
And 28.43 km to meters = 28430 m

I then used the linear uniform motion equation (xf = xi + vi*t). Am I right in doing this, there is no gravity, correct?

28430 = vi*9360s ---> vi = 3.037 m/s
28430 = vi*19800 ---> vi = 1.436 m/s

This doesn't seem right at all, I don't think I'm understanding the question completely.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the answer 0.80 m/s @2.88 km/h?

Tried it already, incorrect.

How about 0.157 m/s?

let x be the speed of boat and let y be the speed of river...

28.43/x+y=2.6 >>x+y=10.93 [downstream]

28.43/x-y=5.5>>x-y=5.18 [upstream]

>>2x=16.11

>>x=8.05 km/hr=2.236 m/s

>>y=2.88 km/hr=.8 m/s

verify and tell if the answer is correct or not..

explanation shall be done later...

physixguru, I've tried 0.8 m/s as the answer to the velocity of the river and it is incorrect.

Hi, I am new here but i think I've got the answer to this, this is assuming the boat is traveling at a constant velocity.

So far the two values youve worked out are the same as mine(im not familiar with the equation (xf = xi + vi*t) i just used v=s/t )

What we've worked out is the velocity of the boat up and downstream, not the river itself.

v1 = 3.03 m/s
v2 = 1.43 m/s

So would the Resultant velocity of the River not just be this

vr = v1 - v2

vr = 3.03 - 1.46

vr= 1.6 m/s

Try looking at it like this perhaps

3.03 m/s
------------------------->
<---------
1.43m/s

(Could someone else verify this though? :P)

if the answer above is incorrect then...u shall have to apply vector algebra equations to solve the problem...directions... i mean...

Related to River Velocity Calculation with Kinematics Equations

1. How does the velocity of a boat change when traveling upstream versus downstream?

The velocity of a boat will be higher when traveling downstream compared to upstream. This is because the current of the river will add to the boat's velocity when traveling downstream, while it will subtract from the boat's velocity when traveling upstream.

2. Can you calculate the speed of a boat relative to the river's current?

Yes, the speed of a boat relative to the river's current can be calculated using the formula: speed of boat = speed of current + speed of boat relative to the current. This will give the total velocity of the boat in the river.

3. How do you calculate the time it takes for a boat to cross a river?

The time it takes for a boat to cross a river can be calculated using the formula: time = distance / velocity. The distance in this case would be the width of the river and the velocity would be the speed of the boat relative to the river's current.

4. What factors affect the motion of a boat on a river?

The motion of a boat on a river is affected by several factors, including the speed of the current, the speed of the boat, the direction of the current, and any obstacles in the river such as rocks or debris. The angle at which the boat is traveling relative to the current also plays a role in its motion.

5. How can you determine the direction of a boat's motion on a river?

The direction of a boat's motion on a river can be determined by looking at the angle at which the boat is traveling relative to the current. If the boat is traveling at an angle perpendicular to the current, it will move directly across the river. If it is traveling at an angle parallel to the current, it will move downstream. The direction can also be affected by the boat's velocity and the strength of the current.