RIP Mario Cuomo, former Gov. of NY State

• News
  • Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rip State
In summary, Mario Cuomo, former New York governor, passed away at the age of 82 due to heart failure at his Manhattan home. His son, Andrew Cuomo, was sworn into the same office for his second term on the same day. Cuomo served three terms in office before retiring from politics after being defeated by George Pataki. At his second inauguration, Governor Cuomo mentioned his father's poor health and how they spent the New Year together with him. While some may have liked Cuomo, he was generally respected by many opponents and liked in New York. However, some may not have agreed with his decision to close the Shoreham Nuclear Power Plant.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Mario Cuomo died of heart failure at his home surrounded by family members.
http://news.yahoo.com/mario-cuomo--...or--dies-at-age-of-82--reports-010630131.html

Cuomo, whose son Andrew was sworn into the same office for his second term Thursday, served three terms in office, from 1983 to 1994. The elder Cuomo retired from politics after being defeated by George Pataki in a bid for a fourth term.

Cuomo died from heart failure at his Manhattan home with his family by his side, according to a statement http://news.yahoo.com/ex-ny-gov-mario-cuomo-famed-oratory-dies-021513297.html .

At his second inauguration Thursday, Gov. Andrew Cuomo hinted at his father's poor health.

"We're missing one family member. My father is not with us today. ... He is at home and he is not well enough to come. We spent last night with him ... We stayed at my father's house to ring in the New Year with him," Andrew Cuomo said during his address.
My condolences to his family, friends and colleagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
I don't now him very well. Was he liked?
Probably by some or many. I think he was respected by many opponents. I think he was generally liked in NY.

I didn't particularly care for his closing of the Shoreham NPP.

Related to RIP Mario Cuomo, former Gov. of NY State

1. Who was Mario Cuomo?

Mario Cuomo was an American politician who served as the 52nd Governor of New York from 1983 to 1994. He was known for his progressive policies and captivating speeches.

2. When did Mario Cuomo pass away?

Mario Cuomo passed away on January 1, 2015 at the age of 82.

3. What were some of Mario Cuomo's accomplishments as Governor of New York?

Mario Cuomo implemented various progressive policies during his tenure as Governor, including increasing funding for education, expanding access to healthcare, and promoting environmental conservation. He also helped to revitalize the state's economy and reduce crime rates.

4. How did Mario Cuomo's political career begin?

Mario Cuomo began his political career as a lawyer and served as the Secretary of State of New York from 1975 to 1978. He then went on to serve as Lieutenant Governor of New York from 1979 to 1982 before being elected as Governor.

5. What was Mario Cuomo's legacy?

Mario Cuomo is remembered as a passionate and eloquent leader who fought for the rights of all people, regardless of race, gender, or socioeconomic status. He left a lasting impact on New York state and the political landscape of the United States as a whole.