RIP, Gerry Anderson - creator of supermarionation.

• News
  • Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rip
In summary, Gerry Anderson, the creator of the popular sci-fi TV show "Thunderbirds," has passed away at the age of 83. His son confirmed that he died peacefully in his sleep after being diagnosed with mixed dementia two years ago. Anderson's career in television began in the 1950s and his show "Thunderbirds" became a cultural phenomenon in the 1960s. He was also known for introducing the use of "supermarionation" and making sci-fi mainstream. Anderson's legacy will live on through his iconic creations.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
LONDON (AP) — Gerry Anderson, puppetry pioneer and British creator of the sci-fi hit "Thunderbirds" TV show, has died. He was 83.

Anderson's son Jamie said his father died peacefully in his sleep on Wednesday at a nursing home near Oxfordshire, England, after being diagnosed with mixed dementia two years ago.

His condition had worsened dramatically over the past six months, his son said.

Anderson's television career launched in the 1950s. Once "Thunderbirds" aired in the 1960s, "Thunderbirds are go!" became a catchphrase for generations. It also introduced the use of "supermarionation" — a puppetry technique using thin wires to control marionettes — and made sci-fi mainstream, according to Jamie Anderson.

. . . .
http://news.yahoo.com/gerry-anderson-thunderbirds-creator-dies-83-181021889.html

I watched the Thunderbirds back during the 60s, and some where I have (or had) a die-cast Thunderbird 2, my favorite vehicle.

I also have the entire TV series on DVD. :biggrin:

I also watched Fireball XL-5 and StingRay.

Thunderbirds are go!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K9rVRuehGU

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh my god I haven't watched that since I was a kid in the 90's, and I loved it then! RIP Gerry Anderson!

Related to RIP, Gerry Anderson - creator of supermarionation.

1. Who was Gerry Anderson?

Gerry Anderson was a British television and film producer, director, and writer. He is best known for creating and producing a unique form of puppetry called "supermarionation" in popular television series such as Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons, and Stingray.

2. When did Gerry Anderson pass away?

Gerry Anderson passed away on December 26, 2012 at the age of 83.

3. What is supermarionation?

Supermarionation is a form of puppetry pioneered by Gerry Anderson that used remote-controlled puppets with electronic moving parts to create realistic movements and expressions. This technique was used in many of his popular television series in the 1960s and 1970s.

4. What impact did Gerry Anderson have on the entertainment industry?

Gerry Anderson's innovative use of special effects and puppetry in his television series revolutionized the way science fiction and children's shows were produced. His work has inspired countless filmmakers and has left a lasting impact on the entertainment industry.

5. What other projects was Gerry Anderson involved in besides supermarionation?

Gerry Anderson also worked on live-action productions, including the television series UFO and Space: 1999, as well as feature films such as Thunderbirds Are Go and Journey to the Far Side of the Sun. He also wrote and produced several other television series and films throughout his career.

Back