RIP George McGovern (July 19, 1922 – October 21, 2012)

• News
  • Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rip
In summary, McGovern was an anti-war Democrat who was influential in the anti-war movement in the early 1970s.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
George McGovern died this morning in hospice surrounded by family.

McGovern was born in the tiny farm community of Avon, S.D., the son of a Wesleyan Methodist church pastor. He grew up poor, witnessing the Depression and the Dust Bowl first-hand.
http://www.npr.org/2012/10/21/163342166/mcgoverns-life-leaves-more-than-a-lost-presidency

McGovern was a B-24 bomber pilot in World War II. With two engines out — one of them on fire — and with damaged landing gear, he managed to wrestle the plane safely to the ground in one of the last bombing missions of the war. The feat won him the Distinguished Flying Cross.

After the war, McGovern and his wife, Eleanor, moved back to the Midwest. He completed a doctorate in history on the GI Bill and in 1956 landed a seat in Congress as South Dakota's U.S. representative. In 1962, McGovern moved to the Senate. He was an unabashed liberal who won over voters in his conservative state.

But McGovern was not your run-of-the-mill Democrat. He strongly opposed the Vietnam War and advocated amnesty for draft dodgers and a living wage for the poor. During the early 1970s, McGovern became the mainstream voice of the anti-establishment, embraced by many of those protesting in the streets. Among them was Peter Yarrow of the folk group Peter, Paul & Mary.
. . .
"There are few and far between that measure up to the dignity, honesty and fantastic commitment of George McGovern that kept this country strong and conscious for all these years," Yarrow said.
. . .
http://www.npr.org/2012/10/21/143117378/mcgoverns-candidacy-inspired-new-wave-of-voters

Physics news on Phys.org
George McGovern dies

He was the Democratic presidential candidate 40 years ago, losing to Richard Nixon in a landslide. This was the campaign during which the Watergate break-in took place, which led to Nixon's downfall a couple of years later.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/21/us/george-mcgovern-dead/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

That was the first year that I voted for President, via absentee ballot from Germany, where I was spending a semester under my college's study-abroad program.

The family that I was living with was very impressed by the ballot package that I received by mail from my hometown board of elections. Not only did I vote for President, I also voted for governor, U.S. senator, U.S. representative, state legislator, county commissioner, county board of education, sheriff, etc. etc.

I had to take a trip into town (Hamburg), to the U.S. Consulate, in order to have my ballot notarized before I could mail it back.

The German ballot for the parliamentary election which took place at about the same time was very simple, in contrast. They basically simply voted for the party that they wanted to represent them, which determined their local representative and the Chancellor (head of the party). Willy Brandt's Social Democrats won that one, by the way. Local and state elections were held on other dates.

He should be remembered fondly for his anti-war stance in the face of the jingoism that surrounded the VietNam war movement. Most politicians are not so principled, much to our detriment.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/269840_427673123963123_1737706919_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I am saddened by the passing of George McGovern. His personal experiences during the Great Depression and World War II undoubtedly shaped his views and actions as a politician. His bravery and determination as a B-24 bomber pilot exemplify his character and dedication to his country.

McGovern's strong opposition to the Vietnam War and his advocacy for social justice and equality demonstrate his progressive thinking and unwavering principles. He was a true leader who wasn't afraid to stand up for what he believed in, even if it went against popular opinion.

His legacy as a politician and advocate for change will continue to inspire future generations. I believe that his contributions to our society, particularly in the areas of civil rights and social justice, will be remembered and honored for years to come.

My condolences go out to his family and loved ones during this difficult time. May his memory live on and continue to inspire others to fight for a better world.

Related to RIP George McGovern (July 19, 1922 – October 21, 2012)

What were George McGovern's major accomplishments during his life?

George McGovern was a United States Senator from South Dakota and a presidential candidate in the 1972 election. He is also known for his work in promoting world hunger relief and advocating for progressive policies.

What political party did George McGovern belong to?

George McGovern was a member of the Democratic Party.

How did George McGovern pass away?

George McGovern passed away on October 21, 2012 at the age of 90 due to natural causes.

What impact did George McGovern have on American politics?

George McGovern was known for his progressive ideals and his opposition to the Vietnam War. He also helped to shape the modern Democratic Party and was a strong advocate for civil rights and social justice.

What is George McGovern's legacy?

George McGovern's legacy includes his contributions to American politics, his humanitarian work, and his impact on progressive movements. He is also remembered for his integrity, compassion, and unwavering commitment to his beliefs.

Back