RIP Diego Maradona (30 October 1960 – 25 November 2020)

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rip
In summary, Argentine football (fútbol, soccer) legend and star Maradona passed away at age 60 from a heart attack at his home in Tigre, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina. He had a number of health issues, some of which were caused by his addiction to cocaine. His doctor is now being investigated. Despite being despised by some for his infamous "hand of god" goal, Maradona was a one-of-a-kind player and gained respect from many in his later years. He will be remembered as a genius on the field. The corruption in football was evident in his actions and is still prevalent today. Maradona's impressive "goal of the century" against England in 1986 will always
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Argentine football (fútbol, soccer) star and legend passed away at age 60 from a heart attack at his home in Tigre, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina.

Apparently he had a number of health issues, some of which were apparently complications related to an addiction to cocaine. :frown:
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44627510

And in a recent development, his doctor is being investigated!
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-55123188

Physics news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
Argentine football (fútbol, soccer) star and legend passed away at age 60 from a heart attack at his home in Tigre, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina.

Apparently he had a number of health issues, some of which were apparently complications related to an addiction to cocaine. :frown:
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44627510

And in a recent development, his doctor is being investigated!
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-55123188

I despised him for years after the hand of god goal, after a few years he became kind of comical to me then a new found respect for him and now I am saddened he has died relatively young.

Flaws aside he was a one off, a genius on the park.

Here's a picture of the referee who awarded the "hand of god" goal.

Football is so corrupt, then don't even bother trying to hide it!

1606743448583.png

PeroK said:
Football is so corrupt, then don't even bother trying to hide it!
What shall I say? I have a mug from Forest and a mug from QPR in the cupboard :cry:

Here's the impressive "goal of the century" by Maradona during the quarter final against England in 1986:

A funny thing is that Lionel Messi did a very similar goal later when he was only 19 years old.
At least as impressive, in my opinion.

Bonus for soccer fans: See also the legendary breathtaking free kick by Roberto Carlos of Brazil (he was a master at free kicks).

Edit:

pinball1970 said:
I despised him for years after the hand of god goal
Same here. I like fair play, not cheating like that. Still, he was a great player.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970

Related to RIP Diego Maradona (30 October 1960 – 25 November 2020)

1. How did Diego Maradona die?

Diego Maradona passed away on November 25th, 2020 due to a heart attack at the age of 60.

2. What was Diego Maradona's greatest achievement in his career?

Many consider Diego Maradona's greatest achievement to be leading Argentina to win the 1986 FIFA World Cup, where he scored two iconic goals in the quarter-finals against England.

3. How did Diego Maradona become such a legendary player?

Diego Maradona was known for his exceptional ball control, dribbling skills, and creativity on the field. He also had a fierce determination and a strong passion for the game, which helped him become one of the greatest football players of all time.

4. What was Diego Maradona's impact on the world of football?

Diego Maradona's impact on the world of football is immeasurable. He inspired generations of players with his unique style of play and left a lasting legacy in Argentina, Italy, and worldwide. He also used his platform to advocate for social justice and was a beloved figure in the football community.

5. How will Diego Maradona be remembered?

Diego Maradona will be remembered as one of the greatest football players in history, who brought joy and excitement to millions of fans around the world. He will also be remembered for his charisma, passion, and humanitarian efforts off the field.

Back