Rings- units, nilpotents, idempotents

In summary, the problem is to find the units, nilpotents, and idempotents for the ring R, which is a set of matrices with entries from the set of real numbers, where the 1-1, 1-2, and 2-2 positions have real numbers and the 2-1 position has 0. The units are all matrices of the form [[a,b],[0,c]], where a, b, and c are real numbers. To find the nilpotents and idempotents, the concept of invertibility and its relation to the determinant is important to consider.
missavvy

Homework Statement

Find the units, nilpotents and idempotents for the ring R =
[[tex]\Re[/tex] [tex]\Re[/tex]]
[0 [tex]\Re[/tex]]

(Those fancy R's are suppose to be the set of Reals by the way.. not good with this typing math stuff)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not actually sure I understand the ring itself. So it is a matrix with entries [tex]\Re[/tex] in the 1-1, 1-2, 2-2 positions and 0 in the 2-1 position..
So is it the entire set of the real numbers?? :S

Anyways for the units, I said all elements are units except for when [tex]\Re[/tex]=0.

But then again I wasn't sure if I'm suppose to use the entire set as those positions, or is it just random numbers from the reals? like a,b,c. OR is it just any number from the reals, but each position has the same #, say x belonging to the reals?

Eughh.. just clarification on the actual question I guess is what I need some help with.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's got to be just all matrices [[a,b],[0,c]] where a, b, and c are real numbers. It's your 'random numbers from the reals' theory. Where can you go from there?

ok well for the units I'm attempting to solve some systems of equations..
[[a,b],[0,c]]*[[a',b'],[d',c']] = [[1,0],[0,1]]
and
[[a',b'],[d',c']]*[[a,b],[0,c]] = [[1,0],[0,1]]

but for matrices, isn't everything invertible whose det is not 0?

missavvy said:
ok well for the units I'm attempting to solve some systems of equations..
[[a,b],[0,c]]*[[a',b'],[d',c']] = [[1,0],[0,1]]
and
[[a',b'],[d',c']]*[[a,b],[0,c]] = [[1,0],[0,1]]

but for matrices, isn't everything invertible whose det is not 0?

Sure, if det is nonzero then the matrix is invertible. All you have to show is that the inverse is also in the ring.

Related to Rings- units, nilpotents, idempotents

Question 1: What are units in a ring?

Units in a ring are elements that have a multiplicative inverse, meaning that when multiplied by another element in the ring, the result is the multiplicative identity element. In other words, units are elements that have a reciprocal within the ring.

Question 2: What are nilpotents in a ring?

Nilpotents in a ring are elements that, when raised to a certain power, become the additive identity element. This means that the element and all its powers after the specified power are equal to zero.

Question 3: How are idempotents defined in a ring?

Idempotents in a ring are elements that, when multiplied by themselves, produce the same element. In other words, the element is its own idempotent.

Question 4: Can a ring have more than one unity element?

No, a ring can only have one unity element, also known as the multiplicative identity element. This element is unique and must satisfy the property of being a unit in the ring.

Question 5: Are all nilpotents idempotents and vice versa?

No, not all nilpotents are idempotents and vice versa. There can be elements in a ring that are either nilpotent or idempotent, but not both. However, there are certain rings where all nilpotents are also idempotents, such as the ring of matrices over a finite field.