Rigorous delta-epsilon limit proof?

In summary, we can prove the limit as x approaches 3 of sqrt(3x-5)=2. If we choose delta to be ((E+2)^2-4)/3, then abs(sqrt(3x-5)-2)<E.
quincyboy7
I'm trying to prove the limit as x approaches 3 of sqrt(3x-5)=2.

Call delta D and epsilon E

So we have 0<abs(x-3)<D and must prove abs(sqrt(3x-5)-2)<E.
abs(sqrt(3x-5)-2)=abs(sqrt (3(x-3)+4)-2)<E if we choose delta to be ((E+2)^2-4)/3, which simplifies to (E^2+4E)/3

My questions arise because I am not sure if this is a valid form in which to express delta, even though it seems to me that any positive number can be squared and added to 4 times itself and divided by 3 to produce a positive number. Also, why DOESN'T the expression work for, let's say, proving the limit actually equals 3? And shouldn't my delta be in a min(1, form of epsilon) form like in other proofs? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

EDIT: I think I have found an error and messed up the placement of absolute values inside/outside the radical expression...now I'm totally lost. Any idea at all how to solve this limit?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Regarding the limit equaling 3. The three here is being approached, so I'm guessing you mean that. When discussing limit, you are not allowed to look AT the limit point, only near the limit point. This is because some functions may not be defined at the limit point. To compare what happens near 3 versus what happens at 3 is to start talking about continuity at 3.

Technically, when you say the "limit equals 3", then you are talking about the function values and the L would change, and the abs(f(x)-L) will change form, and typically so will your delta (unless you have a uniformly continuous function). I don't think you mean that?

For delta, typically, if your delta is that complicated, there is a way to simplify it. You need to be able to work from left to right, starting with the abs(f(x)-L).

You won't need the delta=min(1,-) here because you are dealing with a different function here than the other problems.

For this problem, you'll want to mulitiply top and bottom by the conjugate and then bound it above to throw away some term(s) in the denom. The form for delta in this problem, at least without writing down the details, I think will look fairly nice.

Last edited:
Alright, trying again...

Let D= (blank)

If 0<abs(x-3)<D, then abs(sqrt (3x-5)-2)=abs(3x-9)/abs(sqrt(3x-5)+2)=3abs(x-3)/abs(sqrt(3x-5)+2)<3delta/abs(sqrt(3x-5)+2)...I'm still left with a nasty expression on the bottom. Any tips?

EDIT: Continuing, We can get 3delta/abs(sqrt(3x-5)+2)<=3delta/2=E when delta=2epsilon/3??!

I think that's right, a confirmatory check would be great

You need to find a way to get rid of that square root term in the denom, since it has a remaining x.

Can you make that entire fractional expression larger somehow?

Maxter said:
You need to find a way to get rid of that square root term in the denom, since it has a remaining x.

Can you make that entire fractional expression larger somehow?

Well, the bottom can, at the least, be equal to 2 (when the square root filth is equal to 0), so the expression has to be less than or equal to just 3D/2, correct?

Looks good to me, that's what I got for delta also :)

Related to Rigorous delta-epsilon limit proof?

1. What is the "Rigorous delta-epsilon limit proof"?

The "Rigorous delta-epsilon limit proof" is a mathematical method used to prove the limit of a function. It is commonly used in calculus and analysis to show that a function approaches a specific value as its input approaches a certain value.

2. How does the "Rigorous delta-epsilon limit proof" work?

The proof involves choosing a specific value, epsilon, and showing that for any value of delta (within a certain range), the distance between the output of the function and the limit is less than epsilon. This proves that the function gets arbitrarily close to the limit as the input gets closer to the chosen value.

3. What is the importance of the "Rigorous delta-epsilon limit proof"?

This proof is important because it provides a rigorous and formal way to prove the limit of a function. It is essential in calculus and analysis, where limits are used to define important concepts such as continuity and differentiability.

4. What are the common challenges in understanding the "Rigorous delta-epsilon limit proof"?

Many students struggle with understanding the intuition behind the proof and the logical reasoning behind each step. It can also be challenging to understand how to choose the right values for delta and epsilon, and how to manipulate the inequalities involved in the proof.

5. How can one improve their understanding of the "Rigorous delta-epsilon limit proof"?

Practicing with different examples and breaking down the proof into smaller steps can help improve understanding. It is also helpful to seek clarification from a teacher or tutor and to review the fundamental concepts of limits and inequalities. Additionally, working through proofs with a study group or discussing them with peers can also aid in understanding.