Rigorous definition of continuity on an open vs closed interval

In summary, "f is continuous on I" means that for any point c in the open interval I, the limit of f(x) as x approaches c exists and is equal to f(c). This definition changes slightly for a closed interval, where the limit must exist from both the right and the left, but the concept remains the same. Additionally, differentiability does not necessarily imply continuity, as demonstrated by functions such as the absolute value of x.
kahwawashay1
Let I be an open interval and f : I → ℝ is a function. How do you define "f is continuous on I" ?

would the following be sufficient? :

f is continuous on the open interval I=(a,b) if [itex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow}c[/itex] [itex]\frac{f(x)-f(c)}{x-c}[/itex] exists [itex]\forall[/itex] c[itex]\in[/itex] (a, b)

is this correct?

Also, what about the case of a closed interval I? In that case, can you just add to the above statement that:

[itex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow}a^{+}[/itex] f(x) = f(a)
and
[itex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow}b^{-}[/itex] f(x) = f(b)

?

Physics news on Phys.org
The definition you gave is for differentiability on an open interval. The definition for continuity is with delta and epsilon. The [ itex ] for lim looks like [itex] \displaystyle{\lim_{x\rightarrow a}} [/itex].

dextercioby said:
The definition you gave is for differentiability on an open interval. The definition for continuity is with delta and epsilon. The [ itex ] for lim looks like [itex] \displaystyle{\lim_{x\rightarrow a}} [/itex].

But differentiability implies continuity?
Anyway, then would this be right:

f is continuous on the open interval I=(a,b) if |[itex]\frac{f(x)-f(c)}{x-c}[/itex] - f'(c)|< ε when |x-c|<δ [itex]\forall[/itex] c[itex]\in[/itex] (a, b) and what about my use of the right and left hand limits for the case of a closed interval [a,b]? would that be correct?

kahwawashay1 said:
[...]
f is continuous on the open interval I=(a,b) if |[itex]\frac{f(x)-f(c)}{x-c}[/itex] - f'(c)|< ε when |x-c|<δ [itex]\forall[/itex] c[itex]\in[/itex] (a, b) [...]

I was referring to the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_function Weierstrass epsilon-delta definition for continuity.

dextercioby said:
No, f is differentiable on the open interval I=(a,b) if |[itex]\frac{f(x)-f(c)}{x-c}[/itex] - f'(c)|< ε when |x-c|<δ [itex]\forall[/itex] c[itex]\in[/itex] (a, b) [...]

ohhhh nvm. it can be continuous on (a,b) but not differentiable, like the abs value of x.
Ok then it would just be:
f is continuous on (a,b) if [itex] \displaystyle{\lim_{x\rightarrow c}} [/itex] f(x) = f(c) [itex]\forall[/itex] c[itex]\in[/itex] (a, b)

right?

Yes, but for that limit to make sense, you have to use the topology, that is compare values of f(x_1) and f(x_2) when x_1 and x_2 get arbitrarily close to each other. That's what the epsilon-delta definition does.

dextercioby said:
Yes, but for that limit to make sense, you have to use the topology, that is compare values of f(x_1) and f(x_2) when x_1 and x_2 get arbitrarily close to each other. That's what the epsilon-delta definition does.

we didnt learn about topology yet so idk what is f(x_1) and the like...

Related to Rigorous definition of continuity on an open vs closed interval

1. What is the definition of continuity on an open interval?

The rigorous definition of continuity on an open interval is that a function f(x) is continuous at a point a if and only if the limit of f(x) as x approaches a exists and is equal to the value of f(a).

2. How is continuity on a closed interval defined?

Continuity on a closed interval is defined similarly to an open interval, except that the limit as x approaches a is taken from both the left and right sides. This means that the limit of f(x) as x approaches a from the left must equal the limit of f(x) as x approaches a from the right.

3. What is the significance of continuity on an interval?

Continuity on an interval ensures that there are no sudden jumps or breaks in the function. It guarantees that the function is well-behaved and allows for the use of calculus techniques such as differentiation and integration.

4. Can a function be continuous on an open interval but not on a closed interval?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be continuous on an open interval but not on a closed interval. This can happen if the limit as x approaches the endpoints of the closed interval does not exist or is not equal to the value of the function at that endpoint.

5. How can we prove that a function is continuous on an open or closed interval?

To prove that a function is continuous on an open or closed interval, we must show that the limit of the function at a given point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point. This can be done using the epsilon-delta definition of a limit or by using the properties of continuity, such as the sum, difference, and product rules.