Right Hand Rule doesn't work for this problem?

In summary, the right hand rule is used to determine the direction of the force on a moving charge in a magnetic field. The index finger should point in the direction of the magnetic field, the middle finger in the direction of the velocity, and the thumb will point in the direction of the force on a positive charge. This may differ depending on the conventions used, so it is important to check with your textbook or instructor for specific instructions.
riseofphoenix
Right Hand Rule doesn't work for this problem?

Consider an electron near the Earth's equator. In which direction does it tend to deflect if its velocity is directed in each of the following directions?

PHYSICSELECTRONS_zps4c2eb880.png

I DON'T get this!

I know they're basically saying this:

Velocity of electron (v) x Directuib if Earth's magnetic field (B) = direction ------> electron goes OPPOSITE this direction.

But my question is, HOW do I go about determining what South x North equal? or West x North equal? It makes NO sense!

I've tried using Fleming's Right Hand rule but I can only move my middle finger (which represents velocity v) in just a few directions -__-

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider question (a). You are given that the electron is moving vertically downward toward the ground.

Can you explain a little more why you are having trouble using the right hand rule? There are different conventions as to which finger should go with which vector, so it will help if you describe which finger you use for the B field and which you use for the force.

[Note that the "x" in v x B represents a "cross-product" of vectors and not just ordinary multiplication. So, "west x north" indicates a cross-product of a vector pointing west and a vector pointing north].

Last edited:
riseofphoenix said:
Consider an electron near the Earth's equator. In which direction does it tend to deflect if its velocity is directed in each of the following directions?

PHYSICSELECTRONS_zps4c2eb880.png

I DON'T get this!

I know they're basically saying this:

Velocity of electron (v) x Directuib if Earth's magnetic field (B) = direction ------> electron goes OPPOSITE this direction.

But my question is, HOW do I go about determining what South x North equal? or West x North equal? It makes NO sense!

I've tried using Fleming's Right Hand rule but I can only move my middle finger (which represents velocity v) in just a few directions -__-
Is Earth's geographic north pole a magnetic north pole, or is it a magnetic south pole ?

TSny said:
Consider question (a). You are given that the electron is moving vertically downward toward the ground.

Can you explain a little more why you are having trouble using the right hand rule? There are different conventions as to which finger should go with which vector, so it will help if you describe which finger you use for the B field and which you use for the force.

[Note that the "x" in v x B represents a "cross-product" of vectors and not just ordinary multiplication. So, "west x north" indicates a cross-product of a vector pointing west and a vector pointing north].

OHHHHHHHH
OMG, i swear I am so stupid sometimes -.-

Ok ok so I DO using Fleming's right hand rule where the index finger is ALWAYS pointing NORTH (horizontally), and the directions they give me for the velocity of the electron is where the middle finger should be pointing. And the thumb basically indirections the direction of the force that deflects it.

riseofphoenix said:
Ok ok so I DO using Fleming's right hand rule where the index finger is ALWAYS pointing NORTH (horizontally), and the directions they give me for the velocity of the electron is where the middle finger should be pointing. And the thumb basically indirections the direction of the force that deflects it.

If the index finger points in the direction of the field and the middle finger in the direction of the velocity, then the thumb will point in the direction of the force on a negative charge (electron). So, you will not take the opposite direction of the thumb (unless you wanted the force on a positive charge!)

You should probably double check the rule as explained in your text or in class. Usually the rule is designed to give the force on a positive charge rather than a negative charge.

Related to Right Hand Rule doesn't work for this problem?

What is the "Right Hand Rule" and when is it used?

The Right Hand Rule is a method used in physics and engineering to determine the direction of a vector or current based on the orientation of the right hand. It is typically used in problems involving electromagnetism and rotations.

Why might the Right Hand Rule not work for a given problem?

The Right Hand Rule may not work for a particular problem if the orientation of the vectors or currents involved is not aligned with the orientation of the hand. This can happen in certain three-dimensional problems or when dealing with non-standard orientations.

What are some alternative methods that can be used instead of the Right Hand Rule?

Some alternative methods that can be used instead of the Right Hand Rule include the Left Hand Rule, the Corkscrew Rule, and the Right Hand Thumb Rule. These methods use different hand orientations or rules to determine vector or current direction.

How can I determine if the Right Hand Rule will work for a problem?

In most cases, the Right Hand Rule will work for problems involving electromagnetism and rotations. However, if the problem involves non-standard orientations or three-dimensional vectors, it may be necessary to use an alternative method or to modify the problem to align with the Right Hand Rule.

Can the Right Hand Rule be used for problems in other fields of science?

The Right Hand Rule is primarily used in physics and engineering, but it can also be applied in other fields, such as biology and chemistry, for problems involving rotation or directional movement. However, it may not always be the most appropriate method, and other rules or techniques may be more suitable for specific problems.