Right hand Rule - Check if i did this right

In summary, the conversation discusses three different situations involving particles and fields, and the use of the right hand rule to determine the direction of the force acting on the particle. In situation one, the force is determined to be out of the page. In situation two, the initial calculation is found to be incorrect and the correct answer is determined to be either into or out of the page. In situation three, the force is calculated to be at 120 degrees. The conversation also mentions the use of the "right hand screw" rule for calculating the cross product of vectors.
Jacob87411
Im having a really hard time with these...I have three different problems so here they are..

Situation one: Particle moving up, field moving to the right. Thus the force has to be either into or out of the page so to speak because it has to be perpendicular. Through the right hand rule I got that the force would be out of the page, not sure if its right.

Situation two: Field goes right, particle is going off at an angel A which appears to be about 210 degrees. Thus to be perpendicular the force is either going to be at 120 or 300 degrees. I used the right hand rule and got that it would be the 300 degrees.

Situation Three: Field goes into the page (not down) and the angle this time goes up what seems 30 degrees. So to be perpendicular it either has to be 120 degrees or -60 (or 300) degrees. I got the 300 again.

Really appreciate any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is what I get, but remember I'm pretty rusty at this:
1 into page.
2 is wrong. The vectors are coplanar with the page so the answer must be into or out of the page. (the force must always be perpendicular to the plane containing the other two vectors.)
3. 120 .

We are talking positive charges right? Negative will reverse the force.

yes they are positive. Yeah I see what you mean on number 2, don't know why I thought that. Like I said I'm pretty bad at this so I'd trust yours over mine

Don't know if this will help or just confuse you further, but I was taught the "right hand screw" rule. This works for the cross product of any two vectors. (Which is what we're doing here.)

A x B (in e/m it is q(VxB) q is a scaler mulplier)

The resultant vector is perpendicular to the plane containing A and B, it's direction given by the direction of advance of a right hand threaded screw turned the same way as when turning A into B through the _smaller_ angle between them.

A x B = - B x A the direction reverses when you change the order, so remember thumb for V (or current i for a wire), index for B and second figure force.

Related to Right hand Rule - Check if i did this right

What is the right hand rule?

The right hand rule is a commonly used mnemonic device in physics and engineering to determine the direction of magnetic fields and/or the direction of current flow in a wire. It is based on the principle that when the thumb points in the direction of current flow, the curled fingers indicate the direction of the magnetic field.

How do you use the right hand rule?

To use the right hand rule, hold your right hand with your fingers pointing in the direction of the current flow. Then, curl your fingers towards your palm. Your thumb will now point in the direction of the magnetic field.

Can the right hand rule be used for both electric and magnetic fields?

Yes, the right hand rule can be used to determine the direction of both electric and magnetic fields. However, the rule is slightly different for each field. For electric fields, the thumb points in the direction of the electric field, while for magnetic fields, the thumb points in the direction of current flow.

What are some real-world applications of the right hand rule?

The right hand rule is used in a wide range of applications, including designing motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in particle accelerators to determine the direction of charged particles and in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to create images of the human body.

Are there any other versions of the right hand rule?

Yes, there are a few variations of the right hand rule, such as the left hand rule and the screw rule. These rules follow similar principles but are used for different purposes, such as determining the direction of force in a magnetic field or the direction of rotation in a screw.