Right Hand Rule #2 Homework: Answers and Explanations

In summary, the homework statement is that you need to use the right hand rule to find the direction of the force on an electron in a magnetic field.
dinhjeffrey

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=34850&stc=1&d=1303697171.jpg

Homework Equations

right hand rule #2

The Attempt at a Solution

when i did it, i pointed my thumb to the right, because the current is going to the right. and when i wrapped my hands around the wire until i reach the electron, i go the magnetic force going into the page. but since the charge is negative, i got out of the page. however the answer is E) to the right, but i don't know why.

Attachments

• 26-31 001.jpg
    26-31 001.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 602
Physics news on Phys.org
The direction that you are talking about is the direction of the magnetic field the wire is producing, not the force on the electron.
You have the direction of the magnetic field correct, now try to use the right hand rule again to find the direction of the force (hint: the sign of the charge comes into play here).

okay so i applied the right hand rule:
thumbs pointing to the right because current is to the right
fingertips pointing into the page
and my palm(force) is pointing up
but since its negative force would be going down?

Nope, not correct.

I think we have to review the right hand rule a bit.

There are two ways to use the right hand rule, like with the current in the wire, you did that correctly, let the thumb go in the way of the current, bent your fingers around the wire and found the direction of the magnetic field that way (they follow the direction of the fingers).
But when finding the force on a moving charge in a magnetic field it is a bit different, then we are using the equation F = q v x B (here x is the cross product). In finding the direction of the vector from the cross product you only use the first three finger, put the first vector (in our case velocity) along the index finger, the second vector (the magnetic field) along the middle finger and the resultant (the force) is in the direction of the thumb. But when the charge is negative the direction changes 180°.

ohh okay i got it. i was confused because i used the direction of current for the first vector instead of velocity.thanks, i like how you answer all my questions ;DD

Related to Right Hand Rule #2 Homework: Answers and Explanations

1. What is the "Right Hand Rule #2" in science?

The Right Hand Rule #2 is a principle used in electromagnetism to determine the direction of the magnetic field created by a current-carrying wire. It states that if the right hand is pointed in the direction of the current, then the curled fingers will point in the direction of the magnetic field.

2. How is the "Right Hand Rule #2" applied in physics problems?

The Right Hand Rule #2 is applied by first identifying the direction of the current in a wire. Then, using the right hand, the fingers are curled in the direction of the current and the thumb will point in the direction of the magnetic field. This can be used to determine the direction of the magnetic force on a moving charge or the direction of the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire.

3. Can the "Right Hand Rule #2" be used for any type of current?

Yes, the Right Hand Rule #2 can be used for any type of current, whether it is a direct current (DC) or alternating current (AC). It can also be applied to different types of currents such as parallel, series, or circular currents.

4. How does the "Right Hand Rule #2" relate to the "Right Hand Rule #1" in physics?

The Right Hand Rule #2 is a variation of the Right Hand Rule #1, which is used to determine the direction of the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire. The main difference is that the Right Hand Rule #2 is specifically used for determining the direction of the magnetic field, while the Right Hand Rule #1 is used for determining the direction of the force on a charged particle in a magnetic field.

5. Can the "Right Hand Rule #2" be used for non-linear currents?

Yes, the Right Hand Rule #2 can be used for non-linear currents, as long as the direction of the current is known at each point. The rule can be applied to each segment of the current and the resulting magnetic fields can be added together to determine the overall direction of the magnetic field.