Riemann integral of characteristic function.

In summary: The values a_n can be any real numbers, as are b_n. So the sum of these characteristic functions will be a new function which is zero everywhere except at (up to) N points.
stripes

Homework Statement

The characteristic function of a set E is given by χe = 1 if x is in E, and χe = 0 if x is not in E. Let N be a natural number, and {an, bn} from n=1 to N, be any real numbers. Use the definition of the integral (Riemann) to show that [itex]\int \sum b_{n} X_{ \left\{ a_{n} \right\} } (x) dx = 0[/itex]. The limits on the integral are from x=a to b, the limits on the summation is from n=1 to N.

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried writing out the integral and simplifying it and I came to the conclusion that the integral is (b1 + b2 + ... + bn)x whenever x is equal to an and is zero otherwise. It's probably wrong but that's what I got.

Then I started by using the definition. I have a hard enough time proving the Riemann integral of regular functions using the definition. This seems impossible. Using the definition, I wouldn't even know where to start. Any help to get me started would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
[

Homework Equations

Physics news on Phys.org
stripes said:

Homework Statement

The characteristic function of a set E is given by χe = 1 if x is in E, and χe = 0 if x is not in E. Let N be a natural number, and {an, bn} from n=1 to N, be any real numbers. Use the definition of the integral (Riemann) to show that [itex]\int \sum b_{n} X_{ \left\{ a_{n} \right\} } (x) dx = 0[/itex]. The limits on the integral are from x=a to b, the limits on the summation is from n=1 to N.

Homework Equations

--

I've tried writing out the integral and simplifying it and I came to the conclusion that the integral is (b1 + b2 + ... + bn)x whenever x is equal to an and is zero otherwise. It's probably wrong but that's what I got.

Then I started by using the definition. I have a hard enough time proving the Riemann integral of regular functions using the definition. This seems impossible. Using the definition, I wouldn't even know where to start. Any help to get me started would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
[

Homework Equations

It looks to me like you are summing n functions each of which are nonzero at a single point. Can't you think of a way of defining a series of partitions so both the upper sums and lower sums converge to zero?

Okay so I see that we're just summing a bunch of points from 1 to N. But I don't understand how the Riemann integral could be zero of the sum of a set of points that are nonzero, and I also don't quite understand the limits of integration. a and b are in no way related to the sequence of numbers, are they? That being said, if a and b can be any real numbers, does this mean we need to show the area under the curve is always zero no matter which interval I choose? The only function I can think of is the constant zero. But the sequence {an, bn} can be any real numbers, which means that the sum will be nonzero. This means that the integral will be nonzero, doesn't it? Unless we're talking about the Cauchy principle value of a sinusoidal function...but that's not what we're doing here.

Basically I don't see how the sum of these functions that are nonzero at only one point can end up having an area underneath it of zero. The sum will just be a constant for any natural number N, and the integral of a nonzero function will be nonzero.

Define a series of partitions whose upper and lower sums converge to zero. Since the series is finite, we could choose an alternating series like (-1)^n if n = 2k for some natural number k.

stripes said:
Okay so I see that we're just summing a bunch of points from 1 to N. But I don't understand how the Riemann integral could be zero of the sum of a set of points that are nonzero,
You're not just summing points. You are summing characteristic functions, each of which is zero everywhere except at one point. So the sum of these characteristic functions will be a new function which is zero everywhere except at (up to) N points.
and I also don't quite understand the limits of integration. a and b are in no way related to the sequence of numbers, are they?
Probably the values [itex]a_n[/itex] are assumed to satisfy [itex]a \leq a_n \leq b[/itex], so that the function's discontinuities all lie within the interval of integration. But even if this is not the case, the integral will still be zero.
That being said, if a and b can be any real numbers, does this mean we need to show the area under the curve is always zero no matter which interval I choose?
Yes, unless the problem statement stipulates that [itex]a \leq a_n \leq b[/itex] for each [itex]n[/itex].
The only function I can think of is the constant zero.
Surely that is not the only possibility. What if you have
$$f(x) = \begin{cases}
1 & \textrm{if }x = 0 \\
0 & \textrm{if }x \neq 0\end{cases}$$
What are the following integrals in this case?
$$\int_{-1}^{1}f(x) dx$$
$$\int_{0}^{1}f(x) dx$$
$$\int_{1}^{2}f(x)dx$$
$$\int_{a}^{b}f(x) dx$$
I claim that they will all be zero. Your function is similar to this one, except it has up to N "spikes" instead of just one.

I wasn't thinking. I kept thinking of intervals centered at these spikes, but I didn't think that, like the Dirac delta function, the integral is just zero at a spike. Anyways, am I right when I say

[itex]f(x) = \sum ^{N}_{n=1} b_{n} X_{ \left \{a_{n} \right\}} (x) = \begin{cases}
\sum ^{N}_{n=1} b_{n} & \textrm{if }x = a_{n} \\
0 & \textrm{if } x \neq a_{n} \end{cases}
[/itex]?

I don't think this is right, but it looks like I'm going in the right direction? Or maybe not.

Edit: nope this is definitely wrong.

Last edited:
Wait, my function would be:

[itex]f(x) = \sum ^{N}_{n=1} b_{n} X_{ \left \{a_{n} \right\}} (x) = \begin{cases}
b_{1} & \textrm{if }x = a_{1} \\
b_{2} & \textrm{if }x = a_{2} \\
... \\
b_{n} & \textrm{if }x = a_{n} \\
[/itex]?

Or no...

stripes said:

... \\
[/itex]?

Or no...

Yes. That's it. Now think of finite width boxes of height bi around each ai. Can you integrate that? Then let the boxes get narrower and narrower.

stripes said:

... \\
[/itex]?

Or no...
Yes, that's right, except the last line should read "for all other [itex]x[/itex]" instead of "if [itex]x \neq a_n[/itex]".

[itex]

\int ^{b}_{a} f(x) dx = \int^{b}_{a} \begin{cases}
... \\
0 & \textrm{if } x \neq a_{n} \end{cases} dx = lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \sum^{N}_{i=1} f(a_{i}) \frac{ a_{i} - a_{i-1} }{n} = lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \sum^{N}_{i=1} b_{i} \frac{ a_{i} - a_{i-1} }{n}

[/itex]

Well it's not correct because I made the assumption that the integral is zero, and then found a series that converges to zero to "make it work". If I go by the definition of the Riemann integral, how do I introduce that n in the denominator, if that's even right at all?

It might be helpful to write the definition you are using for the Riemann integral. Another suggestion: try proving that the integral is zero for the simpler case I mentioned earlier:
$$f(x) = \begin{cases}
1 & \textrm{if }x = 0 \\
0 & \textrm{if }x \neq 0\end{cases}$$
Then you can use linearity to extend this result to the case where there are N spikes instead of 1.

Here is the definition we are using. I will consider your other suggestion but I should be able to prove the integral without using linearity, so if you could possibly help me with that, I would really appreciate it.

Attachments

• Riemann_integral.jpg
    Riemann_integral.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 569
stripes said:
Here is the definition we are using. I will consider your other suggestion but I should be able to prove the integral without using linearity, so if you could possibly help me with that, I would really appreciate it.

Try proving it for the simple f(x) that jbunniii gave you first. Hint, pick A=0. And you really only have to worry about the segment of the partition that contains x=0.

Related to Riemann integral of characteristic function.

1. What is the Riemann integral of a characteristic function?

The Riemann integral of a characteristic function is a mathematical concept that assigns a numerical value to a specific set. It is used to calculate the area under a curve, where the curve represents a characteristic function.

2. How is the Riemann integral of a characteristic function calculated?

The Riemann integral of a characteristic function is calculated by dividing the function into small intervals, approximating the area under the curve with rectangles, and then taking the limit as the number of intervals approaches infinity.

3. What is the purpose of the Riemann integral of a characteristic function?

The Riemann integral of a characteristic function is commonly used in calculus to calculate the area under a curve, which has a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Can the Riemann integral of a characteristic function always be calculated?

No, the Riemann integral of a characteristic function can only be calculated for functions that are continuous and have a finite number of discontinuities. If a function has an infinite number of discontinuities, the Riemann integral cannot be calculated.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Riemann integral of a characteristic function?

Yes, the Riemann integral of a characteristic function can only be used for functions that are integrable, meaning they have a finite value for their integral. If a function is not integrable, another method, such as the Lebesgue integral, must be used.