Riemann Integrability of Composition

In summary, the conversation discusses the Riemann integrability of a function f composed with ψ, with ψ defined as x sin 1/x for 0 < x ≤ 1 and ψ(0) = 0. The conversation also mentions a similar function ψ* defined as √x sin 1/x. The problem is to prove that f \circ ψ and f \circ ψ* are both Riemann integrable. The conversation explores the use of the theorem that a function is Riemann integrable if the set of discontinuities has measure 0, but the problem lies in showing that the set of discontinuities for f \circ ψ is of measure 0.
Shoelace Thm.

Homework Statement

Let ψ(x) = x sin 1/x for 0 < x ≤ 1 and ψ(0) = 0.
(a) If f : [-1,1] → ℝ is Riemann integrable, prove that f [itex]\circ[/itex] ψ is Riemann integrable.
(b) What happens for ψ*(x) = √x sin 1/x?

Homework Equations

I've proven that if ψ : [c,d] → [a,b] is continuous and for every set of measure zero Z [itex] \subset [/itex] [a,b], [itex] ψ^{\text{pre}}(Z) [/itex] is a set of measure zero in [c,d], then if f is Riemann integrable, f [itex]\circ[/itex] ψ is Riemann integrable. However, this doesn't apply well in this situation. What can I do? I have a hunch that both f [itex] \circ [/itex] ψ and f [itex] \circ [/itex] ψ* are Riemann integrable.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Any suggestions?

What do you know about Riemann integration?? What theorems could come in handy?
For example, do you know that a function is Riemann integrable iff the set of discontinuities has measure 0?

SammyS: My apologies, it was not twenty-four hours.

Micromass: I am aware of that theorem, and in fact used it to prove the theorem in the original post. The problem is that I do not know how to show that the set of discontinuities of [itex] f \circ \psi [/itex] are of measure 0. Clearly it is discontinuous at a point u iff f is discontinuous at [itex] \psi(u) [/itex], but I don't know where to go from here.

Related to Riemann Integrability of Composition

What is the definition of Riemann Integrability of Composition?

The Riemann Integrability of Composition is a mathematical concept that involves the integration of a composite function, which is a function that is composed of two or more functions. It is defined as the ability to integrate a composite function using Riemann sums.

What are the requirements for a function to be Riemann Integrable?

In order for a function to be Riemann Integrable, it must be bounded on a closed interval, meaning that it cannot have extremely large or small values. Additionally, the function must have a finite number of discontinuities on the interval.

How is the Riemann Integrability of Composition related to the Riemann Integral?

The Riemann Integrability of Composition is a generalization of the Riemann Integral, which involves integrating a single function. In the case of Riemann Integrability of Composition, the function being integrated is a composite function, meaning it is composed of two or more functions.

What are some common techniques used to prove Riemann Integrability of Composition?

Some common techniques used to prove Riemann Integrability of Composition include the use of the squeeze theorem, the intermediate value theorem, and the Darboux sums. These techniques involve breaking down the composite function into simpler functions and using properties of these simpler functions to prove integrability.

What are some applications of Riemann Integrability of Composition?

Riemann Integrability of Composition has many applications in various fields of science and mathematics, including physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to calculate areas under curves, volumes of solids, and work done in physical systems. It is also used in optimization problems and in the study of differential equations.