Rich-Kids Loophole Means More Time on SAT

In summary, Ali Hellberg says several of her classmates faked learning disabilities in order to get extra time to take the Scholastic Aptitude Test, or SAT. Jay Brody, the tutor, said that extra time is as good as adding a couple hundred points to a student's score. Rich kids? They had psychos... i mean psychologists at my school and we were pretty friggen poor. I think there should be a "blame rich people" syndrome that should be studied. Sounds to me like some kids haven't gotten spanked enough. I think the parents need to be spanked on this one.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
This is so wrong. :devil:

"March 30, 2006 — When Ali Hellberg, 19, was in prep school, she said several of her classmates obtained notes from psychologists diagnosing them with learning disabilities, even though they didn't have any learning problems.

They faked learning disabilities to get extra time to take the Scholastic Aptitude Test, or SAT, in the hopes of getting a higher score, she said."

"Jay Brody, the tutor, said that extra time is as good as adding a couple hundred points to a student's score."

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/story?id=1787712&page=1

Physics news on Phys.org
Rich kids? They had psychos... i mean psychologists at my school and we were pretty friggen poor. I think there should be a "blame rich people" syndrome that should be studied. Sounds to me like some kids haven't gotten spanked enough.

Pengwuino said:
Rich kids? They had psychos... i mean psychologists at my school and we were pretty friggen poor. I think there should be a "blame rich people" syndrome that should be studied. Sounds to me like some kids haven't gotten spanked enough.
I think the parents need to be spanked on this one.

So, how much extra time did you get? :biggrin: <joking>

Evo said:
I think the parents need to be spanked on this one.

So, how much extra time did you get? :biggrin: <joking>

I have a serious health disorder! Pengwutitis is a serious mental condition jerk!

What happened to the good ole days where the rich kids just got into good schools via their parents connections?

Pengwuino said:
I have a serious health disorder! Pengwutitis is a serious mental condition jerk!
runs into thread <sprays lysol> runs out

cyrusabdollahi said:
What happened to the good ole days where the rich kids just got into good schools via their parents connections?

What is this society coming to :cry:

Let's not get into how its spread...

cyrusabdollahi said:
Now that's the right way to do it. At least everyone knows how you got in. How do you think my ex got into an Ivy League school so he could play bleets and party for 4 years?

cyrusabdollahi said:
Let's not get into how its spread...
It's moldy bread (ergot) I think someone hasn't been washing his flippers...

The good thing about physics is that i don't think you can parent your way through grad school...

i wonder if you can get some bs cheating crap or with parents to get into grad schools actually...

Let me guess that "rich" student in princeton is now failing.

Whatever happened to being true unto yourself?

Despite everything, including other individuals and what they do and not do, I knew that being true to me and my intent to do right and be right would not be hindered by anything.

The fact that thousands of individuals lied or cheated or got "connected" into a higher branch of learning or into a 'well-paid' position had nothing to do with me thoroughly learning and mastering the said subject.

The difference is that now I can teach those that were my peers, and some of those that were my peers still need to be taught the said subject and or, what it is to be right.

Oh my god, I thought I was the only one who thought of that.

scott1 said:
Au contraire -- his parents pay for lots of tutors.

Jenga said:

Thankfully, there is no tutors for GRE's and such... if there is a God...

Jenga said:
Wait a tutor for a "rich" person:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
Everone knows that tutors for "rich" kids are just people who pretend to know the stuff so they can get money.

tutors for "rich" kids are just people who pretend to know the stuff so they can get money.
What? I thought I was the only one who figured that out and does it.

dont blame the kid for taking advantage of the system, blame the system for being faulty

i_wish_i_was_smart said:
dont blame the kid for taking advantage of the system, blame the system for being faulty

As with all things in life, it's all the psychologists fault

scott1 said:
I have no idea, but the "rich" student that partied through Yale is President of the US. But maybe that has more to do with the "poor" kid that dropped out of college, but became a successful campaign manager.

That's really something... so one must skip class in order to learn more and better?

I've always felt formal educational institutions are worthless and pathetic. Now I know.

Related to Rich-Kids Loophole Means More Time on SAT

1. What is the "Rich-Kids Loophole" that allows more time on SAT?

The "Rich-Kids Loophole" refers to a practice where wealthy families hire a psychologist or psychiatrist to diagnose their child with a learning disability in order to receive extended time on the SAT exam. This allows their child to have an unfair advantage over other students who do not have access to this loophole.

2. Is the "Rich-Kids Loophole" legal?

The use of extended time on standardized tests, including the SAT, is protected by federal law under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). However, the abuse of this loophole, where students are falsely diagnosed with learning disabilities, is considered fraud and can be prosecuted.

3. How does the "Rich-Kids Loophole" affect other students?

The use of this loophole creates an uneven playing field for students who do not have the resources to obtain a false learning disability diagnosis. It gives wealthy students an unfair advantage and can lead to higher scores and admission into more prestigious universities, taking away opportunities from other hardworking students.

4. Are there any steps being taken to address the "Rich-Kids Loophole"?

The College Board, which administers the SAT, has implemented stricter guidelines and verification processes to prevent the abuse of this loophole. They also work closely with schools and testing centers to identify any suspicious patterns or behavior. Additionally, there have been calls for legislation to close this loophole and make the process more transparent.

5. What can be done to create a more fair and equal testing environment for all students?

In addition to stricter guidelines and legislation, there are other steps that can be taken to level the playing field for all students. This includes providing more resources and support for students with learning disabilities, offering accommodations to all students who genuinely need them, and creating alternative forms of assessment that do not rely solely on standardized tests.