Rewriting a wave function superposition

In summary, the conversation discusses a wave function involving eigenfunctions for the ground state and first excited level in a 1-D square well. The wave function is rewritten with an additional phase factor for one of the eigenfunctions, which mathematically does not change the state but makes the expectation value calculation simpler.
T-7
Hi,

I'm looking at this wave function:

[tex]\psi(x,t) = \frac{4}{5}{\psi}_{1} + \frac{3}{5}{\psi}_{2}[/tex]

The functions involved here are the typical eigenfunctions for the ground state and first excited level in an infinitely-deep 1-D square well.

Defining
[tex]A = 4/5.\sqrt{2/a}[/tex]
[tex]B = 3/5.\sqrt{2/a}[/tex]
[tex]K = \pi/a[/tex]

I might have rewritten this as

[tex]\psi(x,t) = Asin(Kx).exp(-\frac{iE_1.t}{\hbar}) + Bsin(2Kx).exp(-\frac{iE_2.t}{\hbar})[/tex]

However, the text restates this as

[tex]\psi(x,t) = Asin(Kx) + Bsin(2Kx).exp(-\frac{i\Delta.t}{\hbar})[/tex]

where
[tex]\Delta = E_{2} - E_{1}[/tex]

Can someone tell me how the time element has been attached to only one of the eigenfunctions like that? I expect it's obvious, but I'm just not seeing it at the moment! (It's evidently been done this way to make the expectation value calculation that follows simpler).

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can always multiply a wave function with an arbitrary phase factor without changing the state physically. So there the author changes the wave function with

[tex]
\psi(t,x)\mapsto e^{iE_1 t/\hbar}\psi(t,x)
[/tex]

and it remains physically same. It could have been clearer to use a different symbol for the wave function with an additional phase factor. For example

[tex]
\tilde{\psi}(t,x) = e^{iE_1 t/\hbar}\psi(t,x)
[/tex]

jostpuur said:
You can always multiply a wave function with an arbitrary phase factor without changing the state physically. So there the author changes the wave function with...

Good. Thank you. Mathematically, that was the only way I could think of doing it, but the author didn't bother to use a different symbol for the shifted function, or to explain what he was doing physically.

Cheers!

Related to Rewriting a wave function superposition

1. What is a wave function superposition?

A wave function superposition is a mathematical representation of the quantum state of a physical system. It describes the probability of finding a particle in a certain state at a given time.

2. Why is it necessary to rewrite a wave function superposition?

Rewriting a wave function superposition allows us to manipulate and analyze the quantum state of a system in order to make predictions about its behavior. It also helps us to better understand the underlying principles of quantum mechanics.

3. What methods are used to rewrite a wave function superposition?

The most common methods used to rewrite a wave function superposition are unitary transforms and measurement processes. Unitary transforms involve applying mathematical operators to the superposition, while measurement processes involve observing the system and collapsing the superposition into a single state.

4. Can a wave function superposition be rewritten into any state?

In theory, a wave function superposition can be rewritten into any quantum state. However, the likelihood of successfully manipulating a superposition into a specific state depends on the complexity of the system and the precision of the methods used.

5. What are the practical applications of rewriting a wave function superposition?

Rewriting a wave function superposition has many practical applications in fields such as quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum simulation. It also allows us to make accurate predictions about the behavior of quantum systems, which can have implications for technological advancements in the future.