Revolutionizing Fireworks Photography: The Power of the Focus Ring

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photos
In summary, these effects create a stunning new look at fireworks. Davey Johnson used a 50mm lens with a ND filter to create the effect, and it can be achieved with a moderate telelens, just like in the pictures he posted on his website.
Physics news on Phys.org
Fake.

I don't think so, I think I understand how it's done. Just refocus manually during exposure with a large aperture lens. Would need a keen reaction. Nicely done.

I think it has to be time-lapse, and I'm not sure it would need refocus

EDIT: had to laugh after I posted that. An artistic type would just go ... WOW, how beautiful, but we all have to figure out how it WORKS. Buncha damn technical types, that's us.

Except for Evo. Thanks for posting Evo.

That's what this site is all about' isn't it? Figuring out how it works and marvel at the guy who thought of it first. Now we can reproduce it, but we're not the first.

Put your camera on a tripod. Have a moderate telelens, like maybe 100mm, at F2.8. Prefocus manually as close as possible. Open the shutter with bulb exposure (B) when the skyrocked is launched and turn the focus ring towards infinity quickly, when it bursts. That's how I would have tried it.

Hey Guys!

David Johnson, the photographer here.

The effect is quite simple:
I was using a 5D mark II with a 50mm lens. I had a neutral density filter, the light was too bright otherwise. Hold bulb mode when the fireworks was on it's way up, and when the explosion begins you quickly refocus. You can try starting out of focus and pulling inwards, or visa versa... both create bizarre effects!

There are some more photos like so on my website, www.daveyjphoto.com.

Thanks for the interest in the pics!

Hey Davey, welcome to our forum, we have a lot of camera enthusiasts here and a forum dedicated to photography.

Absolutely loved your pictures!

Last edited:
Nicely done, Davey! Very creative.

My first idea was not about refocusing, but about zooming in/out (which - depending on the lens - sometimes also means refocusing).

But the effect is incredible :smile:

Very nice effect. At first I thought focus-and-pan.

The ND filter is a nice idea. When I try to photograph fireworks I often get loads of smoke illuminated by the real fireworks in my pics.

Wow. Look out PF Photo Contests. :)

As soon as I saw the first image I thought "Oh, turning the focus ring while the shutter's open, neat idea." Being close and using a 50mm lens helps the effect a lot.

Last time I had the opportunity to shoot fireworks, I was miles away and using a 180mm lens. It didn't occur to me to twist the focus ring during the exposure, but the effect wouldn't have been so dramatic, I think.

Related to Revolutionizing Fireworks Photography: The Power of the Focus Ring

1. How do you capture such amazing fireworks photos?

To capture incredible fireworks photos, it is important to have the right equipment and settings. A DSLR camera with manual mode and a tripod are essential. Set your ISO to a low number (between 100-200), aperture to a high number (around f/11), and shutter speed to a slow speed (1-4 seconds). Use a remote or the camera's timer to avoid camera shake. Experiment with different settings and angles to find the best shot.

2. What is the best time to take fireworks photos?

The best time to take fireworks photos is at night, when it is dark enough for the fireworks to stand out against the sky. It is also important to arrive early and secure a good spot with an unobstructed view of the fireworks display.

3. How do you prevent overexposure in fireworks photos?

Overexposure can be a common issue in fireworks photography due to the bright and sudden bursts of light. To prevent overexposure, try using a neutral density filter or adjust your camera's exposure compensation to a lower number. You can also try underexposing the photo and adjusting the brightness and contrast in post-processing.

4. What is the best composition for fireworks photos?

The best composition for fireworks photos is subjective and can vary depending on personal preference. However, a common technique is to include a landmark or recognizable object in the foreground to give the photo a sense of scale and place. You can also experiment with different angles, such as shooting from a low or high vantage point, to add interest to your composition.

5. Can you edit fireworks photos in post-processing?

Yes, you can edit fireworks photos in post-processing to enhance the colors and contrast, adjust the exposure, and crop the photo for a better composition. However, it is important to take a well-exposed and properly composed photo in camera to minimize the need for extensive editing.