Review my REU statement purpose

In summary, the individual is seeking help from the PF writing center as the school's writing center is closed during break. They need to submit an application for a Mathematics REU for a small college and are wondering if it is too much to ask their professor to send letters to seven different places. The individual also shares their interest in mathematics research and future career goals of pursuing graduate school in pure or applied mathematics. They mention their specific interest in a Supersymmetry research project and their knowledge in computer programming, and ask for feedback on their essay for the application.
Tuya
School writing center is closed during the break, so I need a help from PF. I have to submit my application ASAP, so my references can get the email with instructions to submit their letters.
This is for Mathematics REU for small college. I am physics and math double major and I have not previous research experience in any field. By the way, is it too much to ask my professor to send letters to seven different places? Should I cut down the places I am applying for?
Here we go, the statement is below.

I was first introduced to mathematics through its applications in natural sciences, especially the high applicability of calculus in many different subjects. In the first couple of years of my undergraduate study, I tried many different branches of science, from biology to chemistry to physics and it is mathematics behind any scientific theories that I happen to encounter that drew my attention more than the reality it is related to in the world.

Only last fall semester while taking my first course in linear algebra with Professor ______, I really felt the liberation that follows the proof of mathematical theorem. Although I had not done any significant work in mathematics by myself, beyond the scope of my linear algebra or multivariable calculus homework, I realize that mathematics is the genuine subject that I would like to study and contribute to. Small proofs such as diagonalizibility of symmetric matrix or eigenvalues of triangular matrix in linear algebra and the immense application that grow out of them, really showed to me the power (and beauty) of mathematics and I would very much like to explore further what mathematical research is like and try myself in the challenge of accomplishing something on my own.

My future career goal includes graduate school in either pure or applied mathematics. It does not seem to me that undergraduate education is enough to fulfill my curiosity and graduate school is the place to do the original mathematical research and teaching, after which I would be free to work and teach my favorite subject – mathematics.

If I were asked, I am especially interested in Supersymmetry research of Professor ____________ in ____ College summer REU and hoping I would be offered the chance to be there. Although I will not have any of the upper-level math prerequisites in that research, my experience in computer programming—familiariy with C++ and Mathematica, I am hoping, would qualify me for this research.

English is my second language; therefore if there is any a grammatical mistake or poor word-choice, please point it out to me. Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not know a lot about these things, but I think it would be a very good idea to expand on the research you are interested in, particularly if it aligns with research a professor associated with the REU is doing. Remember that these things are competitive, so anything you can write that shows that YOU are a GREAT fit for THIS program will take you a long way (I think). Since you have a professor you are interested in, maybe be more specific about what you like about their string theory work.

Best of luck

Related to Review my REU statement purpose

1. What is the purpose of a REU statement of purpose?

The purpose of a REU statement of purpose is to provide a clear and concise description of your research interests, goals, and qualifications for participating in a Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program.

2. What should be included in a REU statement of purpose?

A REU statement of purpose should include your research interests, relevant academic background, previous research experience, and how the REU program aligns with your academic and career goals.

3. How long should a REU statement of purpose be?

Typically, a REU statement of purpose should be one to two pages in length. It should be long enough to provide sufficient information, but concise enough to keep the reader's attention.

4. What is the difference between a REU statement of purpose and a personal statement?

A REU statement of purpose specifically focuses on your research interests and qualifications for the program, while a personal statement may include more personal anecdotes and experiences. The REU statement of purpose should also be tailored to the specific program, while a personal statement may be more general.

5. Can I get help with writing my REU statement of purpose?

Yes, it is recommended to seek advice and feedback from mentors, advisors, and peers when writing your REU statement of purpose. They can provide valuable insights and help you to present your ideas clearly and effectively.