Review Forces Homework: 3 Boxes, F=ma, Drawings & Equations

In summary, the problem involves three boxes (A, B, and C) connected by vertical ropes and a constant upward force applied to box A. The boxes have a downward acceleration and gravity acts downwards. The equations derived from the free body diagrams for each box are F-Ft_1-F_g=m_a*a for box A, Ft_1-Ft_2-F_g=m_b*a for box B, and Ft_2-F_g=m_c*a for box C. The acceleration is the same for all boxes and there is no normal force to consider. The mass for box C is only the mass of box C, regardless of any normal forces.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Three Boxes, A, B, and C, are connected to each other using light vertical ropes, with box B hanging below box A, and C hanging below B. Call the tension in the rope connecting A and B "T_1" and that between B and C "T_2". A constant upward force F is applied to box A. Together, the boxes have a downward acceleration a. Gravity, as usual, pulls downwards, and take the positive direction as upwards. a) Make a labeled drawing. B) draw correct and complete free-body diagrams. c) give the equation(s) that come from the free body diagrams. You do not need to solve for anything.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I am most concerned with C.

For box a: F-Ft_1-F_g=m_a*a
For box b: Ft_1-Ft_2-F_g=m_b*a
For box c: Ft_2-F_g=m_c*a

1) my acceleration, a, is the same for all boxes
2) There is no normal force as the problem does not state that the boxes are on the ground or anything(?)
3) Should the mass for box c include the mass's of A+B?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:
1) my acceleration, a, is the same for all boxes
Right

RJLiberator said:
2) There is no normal force as the problem does not state that the boxes are on the ground or anything(?)
Right

RJLiberator said:
3) Should the mass for box c include the mass's of A+B?
Why?

Likes RJLiberator
Hm. Since there is no normal force, and these boxes are accelerating upwards, it does not make sense to include all mass's for box c.

When it says something like "make a free body diagram for box C" or "evaluate all the forces on box C" then you are taking box C as it's own system. That means the mass of the system is the mass of box C, regardless of any normal forces.
Normal forces would just mean that different forces are acting on box C, but it wouldn't change the mass of box C.

Likes RJLiberator
I see.

Thank you for the clarification. That makes sense.

Related to Review Forces Homework: 3 Boxes, F=ma, Drawings & Equations

What is the equation for calculating force?

The equation for calculating force is F=ma, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared.

How do I draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, start by identifying the object and all the forces acting on it. Then, draw a dot to represent the object and arrows to represent the forces. Label each arrow with the type of force and its magnitude.

What is the relationship between mass and acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the less it will accelerate for a given force.

Why is it important to review forces homework?

Reviewing forces homework is important because it helps reinforce understanding of key concepts and equations related to forces. It also allows for identifying any areas that need further clarification or practice.

Can I use the F=ma equation to calculate the force of an object on an inclined plane?

Yes, the F=ma equation can be used to calculate the force of an object on an inclined plane. The only difference is that the acceleration will be the component of the object's acceleration that is parallel to the plane.