Reversing transformations of displacements

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties the speaker encountered while studying Neuenschwander's Tensor Calculus for Physics. They have provided a summary of page 23 and attempted to reverse the original transformation using different coordinates, but have encountered a problem with the resulting expression. The expert suggests that the issue lies in the assumptions made about the partial derivatives.
beowulf.geata

Homework Statement

I've just started (self-studying) Neuenschwander's Tensor Calculus for Physics and I got stuck at page 23, where he deals with transformations of displacements. I've made a summary of page 23 in the first part of the attached file.

Homework Equations

I want to use the coordinates x(x', y', z'), y(x', y', z'), z(x', y', z') and x'(x,y,z), y'(x,y,z), z'(x,y,z) and try to reverse the original transformation from unprimed to primed, see attached file.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I get a result which seems to say that dx'= 3dx', see attached file. So I don't understand where I'm going wrong. I'd be very grateful if anyone could help.

Attachments

• Neuenschwander_p23.pdf
    305.5 KB · Views: 165
Physics news on Phys.org
beowulf.geata said:

Homework Statement

I've just started (self-studying) Neuenschwander's Tensor Calculus for Physics and I got stuck at page 23, where he deals with transformations of displacements. I've made a summary of page 23 in the first part of the attached file.

Homework Equations

I want to use the coordinates x(x', y', z'), y(x', y', z'), z(x', y', z') and x'(x,y,z), y'(x,y,z), z'(x,y,z) and try to reverse the original transformation from unprimed to primed, see attached file.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I get a result which seems to say that dx'= 3dx', see attached file. So I don't understand where I'm going wrong. I'd be very grateful if anyone could help.
Look carefully at the expression multiplying dx', and compare it with the fourth equation in your text, the one with the Kronecker delta.
You seem to assume that ##\frac{\partial x'}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial x'}=1## and similarly for the other two terms. That is not necessarily the case.

You can test it with a simple transformation (for two dimensions):
##x'=x+y##
##y'=x-y##

Thanks very much! I now see the error of my ways :-)

Related to Reversing transformations of displacements

1. What are the different types of transformations that can be reversed in displacements?

There are three main types of transformations that can be reversed in displacements: translations, rotations, and reflections. Translations involve moving an object in a straight line, rotations involve rotating an object around a fixed point, and reflections involve flipping an object across a line.

2. How can I reverse a translation transformation in displacements?

To reverse a translation transformation in displacements, you can simply move the object in the opposite direction by the same distance. For example, if the object was moved 5 units to the right, you would move it 5 units to the left to reverse the transformation.

3. Can all types of transformations in displacements be easily reversed?

No, not all types of transformations in displacements can be easily reversed. Rotations and reflections require more complex calculations and techniques to be reversed, while translations can be easily reversed by moving the object in the opposite direction.

4. Is it possible to combine multiple transformations in displacements and reverse them all at once?

Yes, it is possible to combine multiple transformations in displacements and reverse them all at once. This is known as the inverse transformation and involves applying the reverse of each individual transformation in the opposite order.

5. Are there any real-life applications of reversing transformations in displacements?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of reversing transformations in displacements. Some examples include navigation systems that use rotations to determine the direction of travel, video game graphics that use translations to move objects on the screen, and architectural designs that use reflections to create symmetrical structures.