Reusing Old PC Power Supply: Making Voltage Source & Safety Tips

In summary, the conversation discusses reusing an old PC power supply as a simple voltage source. The individual is seeking advice on how to safely obtain the voltage from the hanging cables and if short circuiting the output would cause any issues. It is suggested to Google "PSU" to determine the corresponding colors for each voltage and to unplug and plug back in if there are any issues with the supply.
Bassalisk
Hello,

I just stumbled upon an old PC power supply. I thought it would be a good idea to reuse it. I am thinking making out of it a simple voltage source, as it is already voltage source.

Can somebody explain me how can I safely get that voltage from those hanging cables that go into HDDs, CD roms etc. And would anything special happen if I accidentally short circuit that output(12 V DC or so).

Voltage source is pretty old, it has 175 W and a bunch of other technical stuff written on it. Peak amperage, voltage etc. If you are interested I can write that down too.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You should just Google "PSU" and find out which colors (the leads are color-coded) correspond to which voltages. That will let you know which wires to isolate for your use(s). Have fun.

turbo said:
You should just Google "PSU" and find out which colors (the leads are color-coded) correspond to which voltages. That will let you know which wires to isolate for your use(s). Have fun.

Thank you (:

I have seen some supplies that have a crow bar type of breaker in them that does not reset until you unplug and plug back in.

so if you short something out and it doesn't work, try unplugging it for a few seconds and plugging back in.

Related to Reusing Old PC Power Supply: Making Voltage Source & Safety Tips

1. What is the purpose of reusing an old PC power supply as a voltage source?

Reusing an old PC power supply as a voltage source allows you to repurpose an old and potentially unused component for a new project. This can be a cost-effective alternative to buying a new power supply and can also reduce electronic waste.

2. Are there any safety concerns when reusing an old PC power supply?

Yes, there are some safety concerns that should be taken into consideration. It is important to make sure that the power supply is unplugged and discharged before working with it. Additionally, proper insulation and grounding techniques should be used to prevent electric shocks.

3. Can any type of old PC power supply be used as a voltage source?

No, not all old PC power supplies are suitable for use as a voltage source. The power supply should have sufficient wattage and output voltage to meet the requirements of your project. It is also important to check for any damage or wear on the power supply before use.

4. How do I convert the old PC power supply into a voltage source?

The process of converting an old PC power supply into a voltage source involves modifying the wiring and connections. This typically requires some soldering and electrical knowledge. It is important to follow a guide or tutorial to ensure the proper steps are taken.

5. What are some additional safety tips to keep in mind when reusing an old PC power supply?

Aside from proper insulation and grounding techniques, it is also important to make sure the power supply is not overloaded. This can cause overheating and potentially lead to a fire hazard. It is also recommended to use a protective cover or enclosure to prevent accidental contact with exposed wires.