Charge ultracapacitors with a PC power supply?

In summary: Unless, of course, you know where the 50% does get lost, ultimately.?It's not really critical,.The lamp should have a voltage rating of about same and current rating less than power supply.I'll be damned. That's very unintuitive to me, but seems right. My apologies.
botnet
Hi,

I am trying to charge some maxwell ultracapacitors (2600F @ 2.5V) with a 1000 watt PC power supply. however when fully discharged, the supply thinks the cap is a dead short and the safety mechanism kicks in and no charge happens.

Is there a simple circuit I can use to prevent this? ideally I'd like to use as much of the 1000 watts as possible to get the caps charged fast.

i am using 6 wired in series for 15V max.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Put a resistor in series w/ the cap so that it doesn't look like a short circuit on startup

An incandescent lamp is handy there , its resistance decreases as the capacitors charge.

botnet said:
Is there a simple circuit I can use to prevent this? ideally I'd like to use as much of the 1000 watts as possible to get the caps charged fast.
i am using 6 wired in series for 15V max.
phinds said:
Put a resistor in series w/ the cap so that it doesn't look like a short circuit on startup
Unfortunately, if he discharges caps completely during duty cycle he loses 50% of the energy per charging cycle as the heat in the resistor.
Therefore, only 500 W will be available for the caps.
jim hardy said:
An incandescent lamp is handy there , its resistance decreases as the capacitors charge.
And what rating of an incadescence lamp?

Bad circuit. Half of the power goes to vaste. 50% and 500 W of heat isn't a small thing.

zoki85 said:
Bad circuit. Half of the power goes to vaste. 50% and 500 W of heat isn't a small thing.

What ARE you talking about? A resistor in series w/ a cap doesn't waste 50% of the power.

zoki85 said:
And what rating of an incadescence lamp?

It's not really critical,. the lamp should have a voltage rating of about same and current rating less than power supply.

Incandescents have cold resistance about 1/10th of their hot resistance.
So it'll allow a brief overload of the power supply as the filament heats up, then the filament will dim again as the capacitors charge to supply voltage.
Since the resistance is only high when it needs to be - what does that do for the 'wasted energy' concern ?

Is this a 15 volt supply ? I'd look for a 12 volt lamp in the 100 to 200 watt range. Aircraft landing comes to mind (GE4522), but the home stores have little 12 volt high watt halogens for track lighting...
Trial and error should take one to a reasonable solution for just a few bucks.

jim hardy said:
Since the resistance is only high when it needs to be - what does that do for the 'wasted energy' concern ?
How resistance changes in RC circuit doesn't matter. If the cap is empty half of the energy supplied by DC source is wasted as heat.

How resistance changes in RC circuit doesn't matter. If the cap is empty half of the energy supplied by DC source is wasted as heat.
Oh ?
Perhaps in practical "real world",

Thought experiment time ---

What if a cap were charged from an adjustable DC source having zero internal resistance, initially set for zero volts and increased slowly?

phinds said:
What ARE you talking about? A resistor in series w/ a cap doesn't waste 50% of the power.
Yah! It wastes 100% of the power!

Unless, of course, you know where the 50% does get lost, ultimately.

jim hardy said:
Thought experiment time ---

What if a cap were charged from an adjustable DC source having zero internal resistance, initially set for zero volts and increased slowly?
That may change things . But he doesn't have such DC source anyway. Some simple DC/DC converter topology with inductive charging better option. But it costs some money of course.

Related to Charge ultracapacitors with a PC power supply?

1. Can I charge ultracapacitors with a PC power supply?

Yes, you can charge ultracapacitors with a PC power supply. However, it is important to ensure that the power supply can provide enough current and voltage to properly charge the ultracapacitors.

2. How do I connect the PC power supply to the ultracapacitors?

You can connect the PC power supply to the ultracapacitors by using the 12V and ground wires from the power supply. The positive terminal of the ultracapacitor should be connected to the 12V wire and the negative terminal to the ground wire.

3. What is the maximum voltage I can charge ultracapacitors with a PC power supply?

The maximum voltage that you can charge ultracapacitors with a PC power supply depends on the voltage rating of the ultracapacitors and the voltage output of the power supply. It is important to not exceed the voltage rating of the ultracapacitors to avoid damaging them.

4. How long does it take to fully charge ultracapacitors with a PC power supply?

The charging time for ultracapacitors with a PC power supply will vary depending on the capacity of the ultracapacitors and the current output of the power supply. It is recommended to refer to the manufacturer's specifications for charging time guidelines.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when charging ultracapacitors with a PC power supply?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when charging ultracapacitors with a PC power supply. Make sure to wear appropriate protective gear and follow proper procedures to prevent electric shock. It is also important to monitor the charging process and disconnect the power supply if any issues or abnormalities occur.