REU vs. Research at my school & taking classes

In summary, the conversation involves a student who is currently doing research in plasma physics and is considering options for the following summer. They have the choice between applying for an REU or staying at their current university to do research and take classes. The student is also considering adding a double major in physics and math, but is unsure if a minor in math would be more advantageous. They are seeking advice on which option would be more beneficial for graduate school applications.
gilmerica5000
Currently I am doing research with a professor in plasma physics, which I am enjoying, though it isn't what I would like to do in the long run. This summer I am going abroad, but next summer it looks like I will have the choice between applying for an REU (which, of course, I may not get anyway) or staying here, doing research, and taking classes. If I stay here over the summer and take classes, there is a chance that I may be able to complete a double major in physics and math (in addition to my other degree in philosophy), but if I don't stay, I will walk away with a two degrees, one in philosophy and one in physics with a minor in math. So, my question is, for grad school, which looks better and would be more beneficial to me - an REU, or summer research with the potential for getting a double major in physics and math? I feel like at an REU there is at least the potential for doing something different from what I am currently that may interest me more. The other issue to take into consideration is that the math classes I feel would be most beneficial for me as a physicist are math electives, and so do not contribute much to that degree. It seems like if I were to major in math, I would have to cut back on some of the classes I want to take (Elementary Partial Diff Eq or Vector Calculus or Compex Variables) for some classes I don't really want to take (Intro. to Advanced Math or Prob & Stats). So maybe the minor would actually be more advantageous? Although, if I stayed over the summer, even if I didn't go for the major in math, it would give me a chance to take a class like Numerical Analysis, which might be helpful... I'm rambling now, so I'll just stop here. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion I think Research would look much better on a application. After all research is a big part of graduate school, not so much undergraduate mathematics.

Paragraphs!

Anyway, I think you should consider that the research you do with the plasma's professor will be somewhat sustained, and you may get more out of a project that you've worked on for longer (say a poster, or even a paper). You're the best judge of that. Also, not sure if you can do this, but if you can work with him through the year (while you're not abroad of course) then that would certainly produce good enough work to get you at a conference at the very least.

Also, why do you want a math degree? You could easily learn it on your own, or if you feel that you do need classes you could simply sit in on them as necessary (without having to jump through the requirements hoops, or worry about grades). Certainly certainly certainly research experience is seen as much more indicative of your potential to complete a Ph.D, and is therefore more beneficial to your graduate application.

Related to REU vs. Research at my school & taking classes

1. What is the difference between an REU and conducting research at my school?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) is a competitive program funded by the National Science Foundation that allows undergraduate students to participate in research at a different institution during the summer. On the other hand, conducting research at your own school allows you to work with faculty members and utilize resources on your campus.

2. Which option is better for me, an REU or conducting research at my school?

Both options have their own advantages and it ultimately depends on your personal goals and interests. An REU can provide a unique research experience at a different institution and allow you to network with other researchers. However, conducting research at your school allows for a longer and more in-depth research experience, as well as the opportunity to develop strong relationships with faculty members.

3. Can I receive academic credit for participating in an REU?

Most REU programs do not offer academic credit, as they are typically only a few weeks long. However, you may be able to receive academic credit through your school for participating in an REU, depending on your institution's policies.

4. Can I take classes while participating in an REU or conducting research at my school?

It is possible to take classes while participating in an REU or conducting research at your school, but it may be challenging to balance both commitments. It is important to discuss your schedule and workload with your advisor and professors to ensure that you can successfully manage both responsibilities.

5. Will participating in an REU or conducting research at my school improve my graduate school application?

Both options can greatly enhance your graduate school application by demonstrating your research experience and skills. However, it is important to choose the option that aligns with your research interests and provides the best learning experience for you.