Return to school for graduate degree?

In summary, the person is considering going back to school for their masters and doctorate degrees but is unable to do so due to their current job as a high school teacher and financial constraints. They are unsure if there are any alternative options for pursuing their education while still working.
ultramadscientist
I want to go back and get my masters and doctorate, but at the moment I teach High School. Going back would be impossible due to the times of classes, and I can't afford to quit my job. Is it possible to work around this?

Physics news on Phys.org
ultramadscientist said:
Going back would be impossible due to the times of classes, and I can't afford to quit my job. Is it possible to work around this?

It seems as if you've answered your own question. If you can't quit your job and don't have the time to go to school because of your job, then I'm not sure what you can do. Get a different job perhaps?

ultramadscientist said:
I want to go back and get my masters and doctorate, but at the moment I teach High School. Going back would be impossible due to the times of classes, and I can't afford to quit my job. Is it possible to work around this?

To the OP:

It's worth keeping in mind that when you enter a PhD program, more often than not you will be provided funding or a stipend to cover living costs as a part of your acceptance package (if you do not, that is essentially the equivalent of being rejected). The situation for a Masters program tends to be different, where self-funding tends to be more common.

You say you can't afford to quit your job. Do you have any type of savings involved that can help you as you prepare to return for graduate studies?

At some stage, you will have to make a decision -- whether to continue your current career path as a high school teacher or to pursue graduate studies, because in all likelihood, you cannot do both due to the time commitments for either endeavour.

ultramadscientist said:
Degree in what? If you give us more information, we can help you better (obviously)...

Related to Return to school for graduate degree?

1. How long does it take to complete a graduate degree?

The length of time it takes to complete a graduate degree can vary depending on the program and the student's pace. On average, a full-time student can expect to complete a master's degree in 1-2 years and a doctoral degree in 4-7 years.

2. What is the difference between a master's and a doctoral degree?

A master's degree is typically a shorter, more focused program that allows students to develop specialized knowledge in a particular field. A doctoral degree, on the other hand, is a longer and more research-intensive program that prepares students for advanced careers in academia or research.

3. Can I work while pursuing a graduate degree?

It is possible to work while pursuing a graduate degree, but it can be challenging to balance both commitments. Many graduate programs are designed for full-time students, so it is important to consider your workload and schedule before deciding to work while in school.

4. How much does a graduate degree cost?

The cost of a graduate degree can vary depending on the program, location, and student status. Public universities tend to be more affordable than private universities, and in-state tuition may be cheaper for residents. It is important to research and budget for tuition, fees, and living expenses when considering a graduate degree.

5. What are the benefits of pursuing a graduate degree?

A graduate degree can provide advanced knowledge and skills in a specific field, which can lead to better job opportunities and higher salaries. It also allows for networking and connections with professionals in your field, as well as the opportunity to contribute to research and scholarship in your area of interest.