Restriction enzyme reads a DNA strand containing nucleotide base pairs

• Thread starter BassMaster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Base Dna
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a restriction enzyme in biology and its ability to read and cut a DNA strand after identifying a specific sequence of 6 nucleotide base pairs. The question at hand is what the average length of a cut strand would be, with some discussion about the probability of the enzyme correctly identifying the sequence and the possibility of it working from both ends of the DNA. However, there is not enough information provided to accurately answer the question and further clarification is needed.
BassMaster

Homework Statement

I know this is a biology question but this is the most busy forum so I decided to put it here:

I'll make this simple. A restriction enzyme reads a DNA strand containing nucleotide base pairs. It cuts the strand after it reads a sequence of 6 base pairs - AAGCCT. Of course the probablity of the enzyme reading the correct base is 1/4. And it needs 6 of them.

So what is the average length of a cut strand? I'm thinking you do (1/4)^6 and this will give you something.. but what?

Thanks for your help in advance...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Please put the questions on the correct forum. Our mods will just have to move it and theyre over worked as it is.:smile:
Sorry can't help you with Biology. Thats also a problem, the biology people don't come here to answer bio questions.

Last edited:
I'm more of a physics and math person than a bio person, but two questions: Is this DNA that's competely random? (from the math point of view), and the bigger question: Does it matter which end you're coming from? i.e. if you had a strand that was CCAAGGTCCGAATAGC, although AAGCCT doesn't appear from left to right, it does appear when going from right to left. (My bit of knowledge makes me believe it can work from both ends)

Okay, forget making it "simple." Can you give your problem exactly as it was given to you? What is the context? The length of a cut strand is the distance between the restriction sites, so there isn't enough information provided about what it is you're cutting to know that.

Or, are you trying to find the probability of that exact 6 nucleotide sequence occurring more than once in a random sequence? Without being given any information about the length of the DNA strand, you have to assume they're talking about the distance between two restriction sites and not from a restriction site to the end of the DNA.

So, please come back with some clarification of what the problem is, or we can't do much to help.

Related to Restriction enzyme reads a DNA strand containing nucleotide base pairs

1. What is a restriction enzyme?

A restriction enzyme is a type of protein found in bacteria that has the ability to cut DNA at specific sequences of nucleotide base pairs.

2. How does a restriction enzyme recognize its target sequence?

Restriction enzymes have a specific binding site that matches a specific sequence of nucleotide base pairs on the DNA. This allows the enzyme to identify and bind to its target sequence.

3. What happens when a restriction enzyme cuts a DNA strand?

When a restriction enzyme cuts a DNA strand, it creates two fragments of DNA with complementary ends. These fragments can then be used for various purposes, such as gene cloning or DNA sequencing.

4. Can restriction enzymes cut DNA at any sequence?

No, restriction enzymes can only cut DNA at specific sequences that match their binding site. Different enzymes have different target sequences, making them useful for cutting DNA at specific locations.

5. Why are restriction enzymes important in genetic engineering?

Restriction enzymes play a crucial role in genetic engineering by allowing scientists to cut and manipulate DNA in a controlled and precise manner. This is essential for techniques like gene cloning and DNA sequencing.