Restriction enzyme math question

• Thread starter BassMaster
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the average length of a cut DNA strand by a restriction enzyme. The enzyme reads a sequence of 6 base pairs (AAGCCT) and the probability of it reading the correct base is 1/4. The person asking the question suggests using the formula (1/4)^6 to determine the average length, with the given string as the only sequence.
BassMaster

Homework Statement

Homework Statement

I know this is a biology question but this is the most busy forum so I decided to put it here:

I'll make this simple. A restriction enzyme reads a DNA strand containing nucleotide base pairs. It cuts the strand after it reads a sequence of 6 base pairs - AAGCCT. Of course the probablity of the enzyme reading the correct base is 1/4. And it needs 6 of them.

So what is the average length of a cut strand? I'm thinking you do (1/4)^6 and this will give you something.. but what?

Thanks for your help in advance...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
(1/4)^6 gives you the probability that your enzyme will read the string(tag) correctly and you know the length of your string so combine these number will give you an average length of a cut given that it consists of only this sequence - this is how I understand you.

I am happy to help with this question. To find the average length of a cut strand, we need to first consider the probability of the enzyme reading the correct sequence of 6 base pairs (AAGCCT). As mentioned, the probability of each base pair being read correctly is 1/4, so the probability of the entire sequence being read correctly is (1/4)^6.

Next, we need to consider the length of the DNA strand being cut. Assuming the DNA strand is infinitely long, the average length of a cut strand would be equal to the length of the sequence being read (6 base pairs) divided by the probability of the enzyme reading the correct sequence. This can be represented by the equation:

Average length = (length of sequence)/(probability of correct reading)

= 6/(1/4)^6

= 6/0.000244

= 24587 base pairs

Therefore, the average length of a cut strand would be 24587 base pairs. However, it is important to note that this is based on the assumption of an infinitely long DNA strand. In reality, the length of a cut strand may vary depending on the length of the DNA being cut and the specific location of the restriction enzyme site. I hope this helps!

Related to Restriction enzyme math question

1. How do restriction enzymes work?

Restriction enzymes are proteins that can recognize specific sequences of DNA and cut them at specific points. This process is called restriction digestion and it is used in genetic engineering to manipulate DNA.

2. What is the purpose of using restriction enzymes in experiments?

The main purpose of using restriction enzymes in experiments is to cut DNA at specific points and create smaller fragments. This allows scientists to study and manipulate specific genes or sequences of DNA.

3. How do you calculate the number of fragments produced by a restriction enzyme?

To calculate the number of fragments produced by a restriction enzyme, you need to know the number of recognition sites for that enzyme on the DNA sequence. The number of fragments will be equal to the number of cuts made by the enzyme, which is equal to the number of recognition sites plus one.

4. Can restriction enzymes be used to join DNA fragments together?

Yes, restriction enzymes can be used to join DNA fragments together through a process called DNA ligation. This involves using an enzyme called DNA ligase to join the ends of the DNA fragments together, creating a new, larger DNA molecule.

5. Can restriction enzymes be used on RNA molecules?

No, restriction enzymes only recognize and cut DNA molecules. They cannot be used on RNA molecules because they do not have the same sequence of nucleotides as DNA. However, there are enzymes called ribonucleases that can cut and manipulate RNA molecules.