Resources for self teaching ( book recs)

In summary, the speaker wants to learn physics and calculus before college, but does not have the necessary prerequisites. They plan to teach themselves over the summer and are looking for affordable books to help with SAT subject tests. They also mention a subforum for discussing science books.
johnvicious
Hey guys, I entered high school not interested in math or science, which ended up really biting me.

I really want to learn some university-level physics and calc before I go off to college, but I don't have the perquisite courses. ( the physics and pre-calc classes I am taking next year, will most likely not be challenging.)

So I would like to teach myself Pre-calculus and high-school physics over the summer, and then learn calc and physics on my own time.

I would like to learn a curriculum that would help me in the SAT subject tests for Math(II) and Physics.

Does anyone know of any good books(sub $50) for these subjects?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a whole subforum of this one called "Science Book Discussion" (look at the top of the list of threads) where you can find threads about books on most any physics or math topic, at various levels (high school, college, graduate school). Browse through there for a while, and if you don't find something, ask there.

Related to Resources for self teaching ( book recs)

What are some good book recommendations for self teaching?

Some good book recommendations for self teaching are "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle, "Atomic Habits" by James Clear, "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" by Stephen Covey, "The 4-Hour Work Week" by Timothy Ferriss, and "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill.

Where can I find these books for self learning?

These books can be found at most major bookstores, such as Barnes & Noble or on online retailers like Amazon. They may also be available at your local library.

Are there any free resources for self teaching?

Yes, there are many free resources available for self teaching. Some options include online courses on platforms like Coursera or edX, free ebooks or audiobooks from your local library, and educational YouTube channels.

What are some tips for effectively using books for self teaching?

Some tips for effectively using books for self teaching include setting a schedule and sticking to it, taking breaks to process and reflect on the material, actively engaging with the material by taking notes or summarizing key points, and seeking out additional resources or support if needed.

Can I use books for self teaching in any subject or skill?

Yes, books can be a valuable resource for self teaching in a variety of subjects and skills. However, it is important to also supplement with other learning methods, such as hands-on practice or seeking guidance from a mentor or teacher. Additionally, some subjects may require more specialized resources or may be better learned through different methods. It is important to consider your individual learning style and needs when choosing resources for self teaching.