Resonance frequency of a wine glass experiment

In summary, the Chinese contestant was able to identify the musical tone produced by water in a wine glass and use that information to estimate the volumetric content.
Zoro

Homework Statement

My group and i need to do an experiment for school. We decided to investigate the effect of water level in a vine glass (or volume) on the resonance frequency. Basically does the resonance frequency change when you change add water to the glass. I would just like some help modelling my experiment. We plan on finding the resonance frequency by circling two wet fingers around the rim. We would record this sound and calculate the frequency using a program on a laptop. We repeat with water in the glass. Am i in the right track and what can i do to improve my experiment.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically we haven't done the experiment yet but you can see my attempt/ plan for the experiment under 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That should work.

Other things to consider: does the speed of the fingers matter? How do you describe the shape of the glass, and how do you quantify its water level?

Would i still be able to find the resonance frequency by tapping the glass and recording the sound on my phone or laptop. We do not want to invest in a microphone so is a phone or laptop fine. Which one would be better. We have a HTC M8 and Galaxy S4 btw.

And for analysis you might look at the PC oscilloscope here or the evaluation version of this one

oh wow thanks you! I needed to find a program for the data analysis

A possible extension of your experiment might be to see what effect (if any) using a fluid other than water might have on the level vs frequency relationship.

How do you think i can extend my experiment. I like the idea of trying out another fluid.

Zoro said:
How do you think i can extend my experiment. I like the idea of trying out another fluid.
Maybe you could replace the air column with a different gas. CO2 is heavier so should stay in place if there's no breeze. To have a lighter gas stay in place it may be feasible to cap the vessel with a soap bubble film, but I'm not confident.

You generate a breeze by moving your finger and hand along the rim of the wine glass. The soap bubble thing might work, but I wouldn't expect too much from it.

The purpose of rubbing a wet finger around the rim is to introduce random impulses into the glass.

On 'The Brain' last weekend (a Chinese TV talent show) they had a contestant who, by identifying the musical tone produced and relating that to the level of water, could determine the volumetric content in a wine glass. He was presented with the tone from glasses filled to different levels, and succeeded in estimating their combined contents to an accuracy of better than 3 mls.

Related to Resonance frequency of a wine glass experiment

What is the resonance frequency of a wine glass?

The resonance frequency of a wine glass is the natural frequency at which the glass vibrates when struck or exposed to sound waves. It is determined by the size, shape, and material of the glass.

Why is the resonance frequency of a wine glass important?

The resonance frequency of a wine glass is important because it can be used to create a musical tone or pitch. It is also used in scientific experiments to study the properties of sound and vibration.

How is the resonance frequency of a wine glass measured?

The resonance frequency of a wine glass can be measured using a device called a frequency meter or by analyzing the sound produced by the glass when struck with a mallet. It can also be calculated using the glass's dimensions and material properties.

What factors affect the resonance frequency of a wine glass?

The resonance frequency of a wine glass is affected by its size, shape, and material. Thicker glasses tend to have a lower resonance frequency, while thinner glasses have a higher frequency. The shape of the glass can also affect the frequency, with taller and narrower glasses producing a higher pitch.

How can the resonance frequency of a wine glass be manipulated?

The resonance frequency of a wine glass can be manipulated by changing its physical characteristics, such as its size, shape, or material. It can also be altered by adding or removing liquid from the glass, as the weight of the liquid can affect the frequency. Additionally, external forces such as temperature and humidity can also impact the resonance frequency of a glass.