Factors affecting the resonating frequency of wire?

In summary, the researcher is looking for someone to help them write a report on the physics of vibrating strings. They explain the idealized and deviation from the simple case, and then compare the experimental results. They then elaborate on the discrepancies, and suggest further experiments to clarify or illuminate the points raised.
demonicbookworm

Homework Statement

We have done the experiment about this but now we have to do a report on it. Not a basic or simple but a report with a professional standard. I did mine but its to simple. I started it again but its too short so i was wondering if someone can give me a start on the physics theory of Factors affecting the resonating frequency of wire.

We carried out the experiment using a vibration generator, which was attached to a wire. The wire from the other end was attached to a bucked of water and a magnet was placed underneath in the middile of the wire. We did the experiment using 5 different wires.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well the first thing a professional does is a literature search. Have you done any research on the physics of vibrating strings? If so be sure to properly site your sources in your paper.

As is typical in such settings there will be an simple idealized case and then there are deviation from and corrections to the simple ideal which typically you can write PhD theses on if you go far enough.

So explain the physics including simplifying assumptions. Compare the experimental results being careful to both show correspondence and point out discrepancies. Then as you have time and inclination you should elaborate on the discrepancies, how much is attributable to recording error and experimental error. What models exist which deviate from the simple ideal which could explain discrepancies. Ultimately the best science report should end with suggestions for further experiments to clarify or illuminate these points which are raised.

You do not have to reinvent the wheel so its OK to blatantly copy and refer to other people's ideas on the behavior of vibrating strings or on the experiments which observe them.
It if of course VERY NOT OK to fail reference those other people and leave the impression (even if accidentally) that those ideas are your own. But I think you'll find with a few google searches and a trip or two to the library that you'll have a hard time keeping it short, rather than at having enough to say.

Related to Factors affecting the resonating frequency of wire?

1. What is the resonating frequency of a wire?

The resonating frequency of a wire is the frequency at which it naturally vibrates and produces a standing wave when struck or plucked.

2. How is the resonating frequency of a wire affected by its length?

The resonating frequency of a wire is inversely proportional to its length. This means that as the length of the wire increases, the resonating frequency decreases and vice versa.

3. Does the type of material affect the resonating frequency of a wire?

Yes, the type of material does affect the resonating frequency of a wire. Materials with higher density and stiffness tend to have a higher resonating frequency compared to materials with lower density and stiffness.

4. How does tension affect the resonating frequency of a wire?

Tension plays a major role in determining the resonating frequency of a wire. As tension increases, the resonating frequency also increases. This is because higher tension leads to a higher stiffness and therefore a higher resonating frequency.

5. Can the thickness of a wire affect its resonating frequency?

Yes, the thickness of a wire can affect its resonating frequency. Thicker wires tend to have a lower resonating frequency compared to thinner wires. This is because thicker wires have a higher mass and are less flexible, resulting in a lower resonating frequency.