Resolving Velocity Components in Constrained Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of resolving the velocity component along a rope in a given illustration. The approaches to forming kinematics constraint equations are presented, with the second approach being determined as correct due to the need for the component of velocity of the blocks along the string. The questioner also considers the possibility of resolving velocities in both directions and discusses the equalities and differences in the velocities of the block and string. Clarification is sought regarding the reasoning behind the correct approach.
decentfellow
I have been having some problem resolving the velocity component along the rope. My question will be clear if you read an illustration that I encountered which is very helpful in showing my doubt very clearly.

In the Fig. given below the block ##'A'## and ##'B'## are connected with an in-extensible string. The block ##'A'## can slide on a smooth horizontal surface.
k7UTL.png

My approaches to form the kinematics constraint equations:-

Approach 1:-

The length ##\ell## of the string connecting the two blocks ##A## and ##B## can be written as follows
$$\sqrt{{x_A}^2+h^2}+x_B+R\theta=\ell$$
On differentiating the above equation we get
$$\dfrac{x_A}{\sqrt{{x_A}^2+h^2}}\cdot\dfrac{dx_A}{dt}+\dfrac{dx_B}{dt}=0\implies \dfrac{x_A}{\sqrt{{x_A}^2+h^2}}\cdot\dfrac{dx_A}{dt}=-\dfrac{dx_B}{dt}$$
As the block ##A## moves rightward ##x_A## increases while ##x_B## decreases. So, ##\dfrac{dx_A}{dt}=v_A## and ##\dfrac{dx_B}{dt}=-v_B##. So, the kinematic constraint equation for velocity is as follows
$$\dfrac{x_A}{\sqrt{{x_A}^2+h^2}}\cdot v_A=v_B\implies v_A\cos\alpha=v_B\ \qquad\qquad\left(\because \cos\alpha=\dfrac{x_A}{\sqrt{{x_A}^2+h^2}}\right)$$

Approach 2:-

The velocity of block ##B##, ##v_B## is along the string hence there could be two possible constraints according to me as follows:-
$$v_B\sec\alpha=v_A$$
or
$$v_B\cos\alpha=v_A$$
Please do tell me as why ##v_B\sec\alpha=v_A## is correct and the other one is wrong.

I had considered that what would have happened if the velocities in both the cases (the cases being the projection of the velocity along the rope in the direction of the movement of block ##A##, and the other one being the projection of the velocity of the block ##A## along the direction of the rope) if resolved into components would affect the movement of the one, in the direction of which the velocities have been resolved.

Case 1:-

So, what I had considered in the case of the velocity along the rope being projected in the direction of the notion of the block ##A## is as follows:-

If the velocity of the rope is resolved as stated above then, in the direction of the motion of the block ##A## the projected velocity will be ##v_B\cos\alpha## and in the perpendicular direction it will be ##v_B\sin\alpha##, as the block is not allowed to move in that direction, so the ground does something(yeah, the ground does something, I am not at all sure if the ground does something in this case, so some clarification on this too) which doesn't let it move in the perpendicular direction. So, according to me this is a probable case too.

Case 2:-

In this case what I had considered was that if we resolve the velocity of the block ##A## along the rope and perpendicular to the rope we get that the velocity component along the rope comes out to be ##v_A\cos\alpha## and perpendicular to it comes out to be ##v_A\sin\alpha##. Now, the perpendicular component changes the direction of the rope and the component along the rope produces the needed velocity along the rope to make the block ##B## move upwards. So, this case is also possible.

So, what is wrong in the 1st case such that it is not the answer, but the case-2 is.

Physics news on Phys.org
decentfellow said:
Approach 1:-
The length ##\ell## of the string connecting the two blocks ##A## and ##B## can be written as follows
$$\sqrt{{x_A}^2+h^2}+x_B+R\theta=\ell$$
On differentiating the above equation we get
$$\dfrac{x_A}{\sqrt{{x_A}^2+h^2}}\cdot\dfrac{dx_A}{dt}+\dfrac{dx_B}{dt}=0\implies \dfrac{x_A}{\sqrt{{x_A}^2+h^2}}\cdot\dfrac{dx_A}{dt}=-\dfrac{dx_B}{dt}$$
As the block ##A## moves rightward ##x_A## increases while ##x_B## decreases. So, ##\dfrac{dx_A}{dt}=v_A## and ##\dfrac{dx_B}{dt}=-v_B##. So, the kinematic constraint equation for velocity is as follows
$$\dfrac{x_A}{\sqrt{{x_A}^2+h^2}}\cdot v_A=v_B\implies v_A\cos\alpha=v_B\ \qquad\qquad\left(\because \cos\alpha=\dfrac{x_A}{\sqrt{{x_A}^2+h^2}}\right)$$

Correct .
decentfellow said:
Approach 2:-

The velocity of block ##B##, ##v_B## is along the string hence there could be two possible constraints according to me as follows:-
$$v_B\sec\alpha=v_A$$
or
$$v_B\cos\alpha=v_A$$
Please do tell me as why ##v_B\sec\alpha=v_A## is correct and the other one is wrong.

Because you need component of velocity of the blocks along the string not the other way round . The component of velocity of string along the direction of motion of blocks are not equal .

decentfellow said:
I had considered that what would have happened if the velocities in both the cases (the cases being the projection of the velocity along the rope in the direction of the movement of block ##A##, and the other one being the projection of the velocity of the block ##A## along the direction of the rope) if resolved into components would affect the movement of the one, in the direction of which the velocities have been resolved.

Same reasoning as before .

Last edited:
conscience said:
Correct .
Because you need component of velocity of the blocks along the string not the other way round . The component of velocity of string along the direction of motion of blocks are not equal .

That's what I wanted to know, that why is it that the velocity of the string is equal to the velocity of the block along the string and that's why I considered two cases that I have written in my first post, and I still can't understand that why is it that "The component of velocity of string along the direction of motion of blocks are not equal".

decentfellow said:
That's what I wanted to know, that why is it that the velocity of the string is equal to the velocity of the block along the string and that's why I considered two cases that I have written in my first post, and I still can't understand that why is it that "The component of velocity of string along the direction of motion of blocks are not equal".

The motion of the right part of string (i.e from pulley to A ) is a combination of rotation around the pulley as well translation parallel to its length .

Your misconception is the belief that the opposite ends of the string must have the same velocities. They don't. Only the component of the motion parallel to the string is constrained. The ends of the string are completely free to move in the direction perpendicular to the string.

The tip of the string connected to block A has velocity equal to that of A . This velocity can be resolved into two components ##v_Acosα## along the length of the string and ##v_Asinα## . ##v_Asinα## is the velocity of the tip of the string connected to A which signifies rotation of this string around the pulley . It is not responsible for increase in length of the string . Only the component ##v_Acosα## is responsible for an increase in the length of the string . Now since the length is constant , hence rate at which the length decreases i.e ##v_B## should be equal to the rate at which length increases i.e ##v_Asinα## .

conscience said:
The motion of the right part of string (i.e from pulley to A ) is a combination of rotation around the pulley as well translation parallel to its length .

Your misconception is the belief that the opposite ends of the string must have the same velocities. They don't. Only the component of the motion parallel to the string is constrained. The ends of the string are completely free to move in the direction perpendicular to the string.

The tip of the string connected to block A has velocity equal to that of A . This velocity can be resolved into two components ##v_Acosα## along the length of the string and ##v_Asinα## . ##v_Asinα## is the velocity of the tip of the string connected to A which signifies rotation of this string around the pulley . It is not responsible for increase in length of the string . Only the component ##v_Acosα## is responsible for an increase in the length of the string . Now since the length is constant , hence rate at which the length decreases i.e ##v_B## should be equal to the rate at which length increases i.e ##v_Asinα## .

That was a fabulous explanation. Now, it has been cleared as to what was the key reason that made me take the two cases, which was exactly what you have written in your second paragraph and the solution to that in the misconception in the second paragraph. Thanks again for all your time and effort.

Likes conscience
conscience said:

What do you mean by the ends of the string are free to move perpendicularly? Aren't the ends are what is connected to the blocks

tellmesomething said:
What do you mean by the ends of the string are free to move perpendicularly? Aren't the ends are what is connected to the blocks
:welcome:

Note that this thread is almost exactly seven years old.

Related to Resolving Velocity Components in Constrained Motion

What is constrained motion?

Constrained motion refers to the movement of an object that is restricted or limited by external forces or factors, such as a constraint placed on its path or a force acting against its motion.

Why is it important to resolve velocity components in constrained motion?

Resolving velocity components allows us to break down the overall motion of an object into its individual components, which can help us better understand and analyze the motion, especially in cases of constrained motion where the movement may not be straightforward.

How do you resolve velocity components in constrained motion?

To resolve velocity components, we use vector decomposition techniques, such as using trigonometry or the Pythagorean theorem, to break down the overall velocity vector into its horizontal and vertical components. This allows us to determine the magnitude and direction of each component and how they contribute to the overall motion of the object.

What are some common examples of constrained motion?

Some common examples of constrained motion include a ball rolling down a curved ramp, a pendulum swinging back and forth, a car driving around a circular track, or a satellite orbiting around a planet.

How can resolving velocity components help in real-world applications?

Resolving velocity components is essential in many real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and sports. It can help us design and optimize structures and machines, predict and analyze the motion of objects, and improve performance in various sports, such as analyzing the trajectory of a golf ball or a basketball shot.