How Is the Speed of Contact Point B Calculated in Rod and Block Dynamics?

In summary, the problem involves a rod AB placed against a moving block, with point A sliding at 1 m/s towards the left. The speed of point B, located at the point of contact between the rod and the block, is being asked. The solution given involves using the component of velocity along the rod, but this is incorrect as it does not take into account the perpendicular components of velocity. The correct solution involves setting up equations using the Pythagorean theorem and using a frame of reference where point A is fixed.
Saitama

Homework Statement

Rod AB is placed against a block which is moving towards right with a speed of 1m/s. If at an instant when the rod makes an angle ##60^{\circ}## with the horizontal and end A is sliding towards left with a speed of 1m/s. Then the speed of the point of contact B of the rod is?

(Ans: ##\sqrt{3}/2\,\,\text{m/s}##)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the horizontal distance from the dashed line of point A be ##x_A## and that of B be ##x_B##. Also, let the distance of B from ground be ##y##. Clearly, ##dx_A/dt=-1\,\,\text{m/s}## and ##dx_B/dt=1\,\,\text{m/s}##. From Pythagoras theorem,

$$(x_B-x_A)^2+y^2=l^2 \Rightarrow 2(x_B-x_A)\left(\frac{dx_B}{dt}-\frac{dx_A}{dt}\right)+2y\frac{dy}{dt}=0$$
where ##l## is the length of rod.
$$\Rightarrow -y\frac{dy}{dt}=2(x_B-x_A) \Rightarrow \frac{dy}{dt}=-\frac{2}{\sqrt{3}}\,\,\text{m/s}$$
where I have used ##\tan(60^{\circ})=y/(x_B-x_A)=\sqrt{3}##.

Hence, the net velocity is
$$\sqrt{1^2+\left(-\frac{2}{\sqrt{3}}\right)^2}=\sqrt{\frac{7}{3}}\,\,\text{m/s}$$

Where did I go wrong? :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• rod along block1.png
    rod along block1.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 468
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Pranav...

Your work looks alright to me .

Hey Pranav!

Can it be they wanted to know the speed of point B relative to the block?
And furthermore that in the given answer the numerator and denominator are swapped around?

Tanya Sharma said:
Hi Pranav...

Your work looks alright to me .

Hi Tanya! :)

I too feel that there is nothing wrong with my work but then I don't see what's wrong with the given solution to this problem. I have attached the solution.

I like Serena said:
Hey Pranav!

Can it be they wanted to know the speed of point B relative to the block?
And furthermore that in the given answer the numerator and denominator are swapped around?

Hi ILS! :smile:

I copied the problem word by word. I have attached the solution given and I can't follow what's going on in the solution. It looks as if they are equating the component of velocity along the rod. Please have a look. :)

Attachments

• rod and block solution.jpg
    rod and block solution.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 448
Pranav-Arora said:
Hi Tanya! :)
I too feel that there is nothing wrong with my work but then I don't see what's wrong with the given solution to this problem. I have attached the solution.

The solution is simply wrong for the reason that 1/2 m/s may be the component of velocity of tip B along the rod ,but it is surely not the velocity of the tip with respect to the block .

vB = vB,Block + vBlock

Does this makes sense ?

Tanya Sharma said:
The solution is simply wrong for the reason that 1/2 m/s may be the component of velocity of tip B along the rod ,but it is surely not the velocity of the tip with respect to the block .

vB = vB,Block + vBlock

Does this makes sense ?

Umm...why do we talk about the velocity with respect to block? :confused:

Pranav-Arora said:
Hi ILS! :smile:

I copied the problem word by word. I have attached the solution given and I can't follow what's going on in the solution. It looks as if they are equating the component of velocity along the rod. Please have a look. :)

Interesting. :wink:

With their speed along the bar, point B would become detached from the block since its horizontal speed would exceed 1 m/s.
But if that is supposed to be the case, we do not have enough information, and the problem does refer to "the point of contact B".

Anyway, I don't understand either why they would take the component of the velocity at A along the rod.
And I certainly do not understand how they added the two velocities at point B - they appeared to have applied the cosine rule the wrong way.

I'd stick with your solution.
As an alternative and a verification, you can look at a frame that moves with point A.
In that frame the horizontal speed at point B is 2 m/s and point A is fixed.
Then it follows immediately that the vertical speed at point B has to be 2/√3.

Likes 1 person
I like Serena said:
I'd stick with your solution.
As an alternative and a verification, you can look at a frame that moves with point A.
In that frame the horizontal speed at point B is 2 m/s and point A is fixed.
Then it follows immediately that the vertical speed at point B has to be 2/√3.

Yes, I tried that frame when Tanya talked about velocity with respect to block and I get the same answer. :)

But why do you say it exceeds 1m/s? I think the horizontal velocity would become less than 1 m/s that's why it detaches, right?

And the sad part is, I lost 4 marks. :(

Decompose the velocity vector into any two perpendicular directions x and y, say v=vx+vy .

Again decompose the velocity vector into another set of perpendicular direction m and n ,say v=vm+vn .

Do you think v=vx+vm ?

The problem with the solution is that they are combining components of velocity in different sets of perpendicular directions .If they wanted to use velocity of tip B along the rod then they should have combined that with the component perpendicular to the rod .

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Pranav-Arora said:
But why do you say it exceeds 1m/s? I think the horizontal velocity would become less than 1 m/s that's why it detaches, right?

And the sad part is, I lost 4 marks. :(

You're quite right. It's less than 1 m/s.
Perhaps you can get your points back if you ask for them.

Tanya Sharma said:
Decompose the velocity vector into any two perpendicular directions x and y, say v=vx+vy .

Again decompose the velocity vector into another set of perpendicular direction m and n ,say v=vm+vn .

Do you think v=vx+vm ?

The problem with the solution is that they are combining components of velocity in different sets of perpendicular directions .If they wanted to use velocity of tip B along the rod then they should have combined that with the component perpendicular to the rod .

Agreed, thanks a lot Tanya! :smile:

I like Serena said:
Perhaps you can get your points back if you ask for them.
If the results are not declared by tomorrow, I can ask them to do the corrections. :)

Tanya Sharma said:
Maybe it comes to the same thing, but I would characterise the blunder a little differently. Looks to me like they took the 0.5 m/s along the rod as a component velocity to be added to the horizontal velocity. Instead, it is a component of the resultant velocity (of the horizontal and vertical movements). If the vertical velocity is u and the overall velocity v we have v2 = u2 + 1, and resolving along the rod: u sin 60 - 1 cos 60 = 0.5.

Related to How Is the Speed of Contact Point B Calculated in Rod and Block Dynamics?

1. How does the friction between the rod and block affect the sliding motion?

The friction between the rod and block plays a major role in the sliding motion. It can either assist or hinder the motion, depending on the direction and magnitude of the force exerted on the rod. Friction can also cause the rod to rotate as it slides along the block.

2. What factors affect the speed of the rod as it slides along the block?

The speed of the rod is affected by several factors, including the angle of the block, the surface texture and material of both the rod and block, and the amount of force applied to the rod. The presence of any external forces, such as air resistance, can also impact the speed of the sliding motion.

3. Can the rod slide along the block without any friction?

In theory, yes, the rod can slide along the block without any friction. However, in practical situations, it is nearly impossible to have zero friction between two surfaces. Even a smooth surface will have some microscopic imperfections that will create friction when in contact with another surface.

4. How does the weight of the rod affect the sliding motion?

The weight of the rod can affect the sliding motion in two ways. First, a heavier rod will require more force to start and maintain its sliding motion. Second, the weight of the rod can also increase the friction between the rod and block, which can either assist or hinder the sliding motion.

5. Can the rod slide along the block indefinitely?

No, the rod cannot slide along the block indefinitely. Eventually, the sliding motion will come to a stop due to the effects of friction and other external forces. The duration of the sliding motion will depend on the factors mentioned above, such as the surface texture and amount of force applied.