Resistive Network. - nodal analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with various components and voltage and current values. The task is to calculate the magnitude of current through R5, the resistance R2, and the voltage across I1. The conversation also mentions using nodal analysis and converting to current sources, but it is suggested to use simpler methods such as KVL and Ohm's Law to determine the values step by step.
VisualStudio

Homework Statement

http://learn.lboro.ac.uk/file.php/1844/Quiz_figures/Chins_Files/Q11.jpg In the above circuit
V1=17 Volts

V2=8.5 Volts

V3=4.25 Volts

I1= 4 Amps

I2= 5 Amps

R1=4.25 Ohms

R3=6.375 Ohms

R4=1.0625 Ohms

R5=2.125 Ohms

R6=2.125 Ohms
Calculate the following:
a) Magnitude of the current through R5:

b) The resistance R2:

a) Magnitude of the voltage across I1:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really unsure on how to start this question, any starting tips would be great please, this was a tutorial set in my college class.
Q11.jpg
Q11.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you looked at where the given voltage V3 is located? :))

what do you mean by that sorry?

You're wanting guidance to answer part (a)?

I think i know how to work out Part A - I am just guessing its Voltage divided by R?
Its part b and c, that i am stuck with

VisualStudio said:
I think i know how to work out Part A - I am just guessing its Voltage divided by R?
Guessing??

Its part b and c, that i am stuck with
Can you work out how many volts across R4?
Hence, determine the current through R4 ... and so on, working your way around the circuit until you have determined all parameters needed to answer the questions.

Sorry I'm confused now. Would I need nodal analysis for this and convert all of these to current sources?

You do not have to convert anything, and you can do it step by step. There is no need for multiple unknowns at the same time. NascentOxygen showed you the first two steps.

Sorry I'm confused now. Would I need nodal analysis for this and convert all of these to current sources?
Just use KVL to determine the voltage across R4.

Then use Ohms Law, KCL and KVL to determine voltages and currents one by one. No formal analysis and no need for a matrix of simultaneous equations!

Related to Resistive Network. - nodal analysis

What is a resistive network?

A resistive network is a collection of resistors connected in a circuit. It is used to control the flow of electrical current and can be found in many electronic devices.

How is a resistive network analyzed using nodal analysis?

Nodal analysis is a method used to analyze resistive networks. It involves identifying and labeling nodes in the circuit, applying Kirchhoff's Current Law to each node, and solving for the unknown voltages at each node.

What are the advantages of using nodal analysis for resistive networks?

Nodal analysis is a powerful tool for analyzing resistive networks because it allows for the analysis of complex circuits with multiple nodes and voltage sources. It also provides a systematic approach for finding the unknown voltages in a circuit.

What are the limitations of nodal analysis for resistive networks?

One limitation of nodal analysis is that it can only be used for linear circuits, meaning that the resistors must have a constant resistance value. It is also not suitable for circuits with non-linear elements, such as diodes or transistors.

How is nodal analysis used in practical applications?

Nodal analysis is commonly used in the design and analysis of electronic circuits, such as in the development of computer chips, power supplies, and communication systems. It is also used in the simulation and testing of circuits before they are physically built.