Resistance in emf - Faraday's Law

In summary, a rectangular wire loop with dimensions 5.00 cm by 8.00 cm and resistance of 3.00 Ω is placed in a uniform magnetic field pointing into the page. The magnitude of the magnetic field, in Tesla, varies according to the equation B(t) = 10.0 − 0.300t2. The magnitude of the magnetic flux through the loop at t = 2.50 s is 0.0325Tm^2, which differs from the initial calculation of 0.006Tm^2. The resistance value was not used in the initial calculation and its role in the formula remains unclear. For part (b), using the equation B=μ*I/
tnbstudent

Homework Statement

A rectangular wire loop measures 5.00 cm by 8.00 cm, and lies in the plane of the page. It has a resistance of 3.00 Ω. In this region, there exists a uniform magnetic field pointing into the page. Its magnitude, in Tesla, varies according to the equation B(t) = 10.0 − 0.300t2. (a) Calculate the magnitude of the magnetic flux through the loop at t = 2.50 s. (b) How much current is flowing in the loop at t = 2.50 s?

Homework Equations

ε=dF/dt (F=flux)
B=μ*B*n

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that a seemed simple... I guess I was wrong.
Since B(t)=10-0.3t^2 I took the derivative of B with respect to t
dB/dt=-0.6t
for t=2.5 seconds
B't = 1.5T
Using ε=dF/dt (F=flux)
ε=A*(dB/dt)*cosθ
ε=(0.05m)*(0.08m)*(1.5T) = .006Tm^2
But, the answer is 0.0325Tm^2
I haven't used the resistance given in the problem and I'm not quite sure where it goes.

for part b I was thinking of using
B=μ*I/2πr
but, again I haven't used resistance and I'm not sure what I would use for r (distance)??

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm completely lost on this and I'm not sure where to go next. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Related to Resistance in emf - Faraday's Law

What is resistance in emf?

Resistance in emf refers to the opposition or hindrance that a material or circuit presents to the flow of an electric current. It is measured in ohms and is influenced by factors such as the material's conductivity, length, cross-sectional area, and temperature.

What is Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law states that the induced electromotive force (emf) in a closed circuit is directly proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the circuit. In simpler terms, it explains how an electric current is induced in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field.

How does resistance affect Faraday's Law?

Resistance plays a crucial role in Faraday's Law as it determines the amount of current that can be induced in a closed circuit. The higher the resistance, the lower the induced current will be, and vice versa. This is because resistance hinders the flow of current and reduces the effectiveness of the induced emf.

What are some real-life applications of resistance in emf and Faraday's Law?

Resistance in emf and Faraday's Law have numerous real-life applications, including generators, transformers, motors, and power transmission systems. They are also used in everyday devices such as electric fans, refrigerators, and hairdryers.

How can resistance in emf and Faraday's Law be manipulated and controlled?

Resistance in emf and Faraday's Law can be manipulated and controlled by changing the material of the conductor, its length and cross-sectional area, and the strength of the magnetic field. In addition, using materials with higher conductivity and reducing the temperature can also help decrease resistance and increase the effectiveness of Faraday's Law.