Resistance - fluid resistance to ball motion

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem of a ball falling from rest in a fluid with resistance. The ball has a mass of 3 kg and is subjected to a fluid resistance of magnitude FR = kv, where k = 6 kg/s. The goal is to find the time it takes for the ball's acceleration to decrease to a value of 9 m/s2. To solve this, a differential equation was needed, and the solution involved finding v as a function of time. The final solution was v=(m*e^[(-kt/m)(kC/m)]-g)/-k.
basketball5rya
Resistance -- fluid resistance to ball motion

A ball of mass m = 3 kg is falling from an initial height y = 3 m in an area where the acceleration due to gravity can be approximated as g = 10 m/s2. As it falls the ball is subjected to a fluid resistance of magnitude FR = kv where k = 6 kg/s. How many seconds will it take for the acceleration of the ball to decrease to a value a = 9 m/s2? Type the numerical value only, not the unit. Round off your answer to 3 decimal place.

The Attempt at a Solution

I did FR=kv
FR=mg
3(10)=30
30=6v
v=5m/s

I don't know if this step is right...
v=v0+at
v=at
5=9t
5/9=t

PART B: I have no clue on this one.

Consider the problem of an object falling from rest in a fluid where the resistance is FR = kv. How many time constants will it take for the object to reach a velocity that represents 72% of its terminal velocity? The time constant is the ratio m/k where m is the mass of the falling object and k is the coefficient of the resistance force. Round off your answer to 1 decimal place.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
basketball5rya said:
A ball of mass m = 3 kg is falling from an initial height y = 3 m in an area where the acceleration due to gravity can be approximated as g = 10 m/s2. As it falls the ball is subjected to a fluid resistance of magnitude FR = kv where k = 6 kg/s. How many seconds will it take for the acceleration of the ball to decrease to a value a = 9 m/s2? Type the numerical value only, not the unit. Round off your answer to 3 decimal place.

The Attempt at a Solution

I did FR=kv
FR=mg
3(10)=30
30=6v
v=5m/s

I don't know if this step is right...
v=v0+at
v=at
5=9t
5/9=t

PART B: I have no clue on this one.

Consider the problem of an object falling from rest in a fluid where the resistance is FR = kv. How many time constants will it take for the object to reach a velocity that represents 72% of its terminal velocity? The time constant is the ratio m/k where m is the mass of the falling object and k is the coefficient of the resistance force. Round off your answer to 1 decimal place.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

No, that's not going well. In the first attempt you solved for the terminal velocity, which is not what you want. What you did from there is also wrong those equations only apply to motion at uniform acceleration. The way to do it is considerably more complicated. You need to get a differential equation for dv/dt and solve it. Have seen or done anything like that?

I have in calculus but not in physics before. Was your first reply correct? The F=mg-FR=mg-kv? If so, I got v=1/2 m/s.
F=mg-kv
ma=mg-kv
3(9)=3(10)-6v
-3=-6v
1/2=v

I guess I need a full on explanation on what's going on in this problem :/ sorry

basketball5rya said:
I have in calculus but not in physics before. Was your first reply correct? The F=mg-FR=mg-kv? If so, I got v=1/2 m/s.
F=mg-kv
ma=mg-kv
3(9)=3(10)-6v
-3=-6v
1/2=v

I guess I need a full on explanation on what's going on in this problem :/ sorry

If you've done it in calculus, you should be able to pull it off in physics. F=ma means F=m*dv/dt, right? Since a=dv/dt. And yes, F=mg-kv. It's the difference between the gravitational force and the resistive force. So m*dv/dt=mg-kv. Try and solve that differential equation for v as a function of time v(t). You can't just put a=9. a depends on time, a(t)=10 at t=0 and a(t)=9 only at the time you are looking for. Remember differential equations?

Alright I went ahead and tried to differentiate equation.

m*dv/dt=mg-kv
dv/dt=g-(kv/m)
dv=(g-(kv/m))*dt
dt=(1/(g-(kv/m))*dv
Let:
u=g-(kv/m)
du=(-k/m)dv
dv=(-m/k)du
(-m/k)du/u=dt
(1/u)du=dt(-k/m)
ln(u)=(-k/m)t+C
e^ln(u)=e^[(-kt/m)(kC/m)]
g-(kv/m)=e^[(-kt/m)(kC/m)]
v=(m*e^[(-kt/m)(kC/m)]-g)/-k

Is this right? I'm not very confident it is but I gave it my best shot.

Related to Resistance - fluid resistance to ball motion

1. What is fluid resistance?

Fluid resistance refers to the force that opposes the motion of an object through a fluid, such as air or water. This force is caused by the interaction between the fluid and the object's surface.

2. How does fluid resistance affect ball motion?

Fluid resistance can significantly impact the motion of a ball by slowing it down or changing its direction. This is because as the ball moves through the fluid, the fluid particles exert a force on it in the opposite direction, known as drag force.

3. What factors affect fluid resistance?

The factors that affect fluid resistance include the speed of the object, the density and viscosity of the fluid, and the shape and surface properties of the object.

4. How can we measure fluid resistance?

Fluid resistance can be measured using various methods such as wind tunnels, flow meters, and pressure sensors. These tools allow us to quantify the drag force exerted on an object and determine the fluid resistance.

5. Can fluid resistance be reduced?

Yes, fluid resistance can be reduced by changing the shape of the object, making its surface smoother, or altering the fluid's density or viscosity. This is why many sports equipment, such as golf balls and swimsuits, are designed to minimize fluid resistance and improve performance.