Residues of Poles in Upper Half Plane for $f(z)$

• Thread starter latentcorpse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane Poles
In summary, the function f(z)=\frac{ze^{iz}}{z^4+\alpha^4} has simple poles at +/-alpha and residue at Q=\lim_{z \rightarrow Q} \frac{(z-Q)(ze^{iz})}{z^4+\alpha^4}.
latentcorpse
for the function [itex]f(z)=\frac{ze^{iz}}{z^4+\alpha^4}, \alpha>0[/itex]

what are the residues of the poles in the upper half plane

so i factorised the denominator to [itex](z^2+i \alpha^2)(z^2-i \alpha^2)[/itex]
my problems are:

(i)but then i wasn't sure how to characterise this the z^2 had me confused as to whether these were simple poles or dobule poles?

(ii)also the question said "poleS" in the upper half plane making me think there was more than 1?

(iii) i don't know how to proceed without being able to get the denominator into the form of (z-a)(z-b) or something along those lines

can anybody help me here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Keep factoring (factorizing [sic]). Hint: i=exp(i*pi/2).

i get [itex]z^2+i \alpha^2=(z+ie^{\frac{i \pi}{4}} \alpha)(z-ie^\frac{{i \pi}{4}} \alpha)=(z-\alpha)(z+\alpha)[/itex]
so poles at +/-alpha

the other term in the denominator gives poles at +/-i alpha.

so we have four simple poles and then it should be easy to get residues etc.

would there have been an easier way to factorise this that would have avoided dealing with exponentials?

latentcorpse said:
i get [itex]z^2+i \alpha^2=(z+ie^{\frac{i \pi}{4}} \alpha)(z-ie^\frac{{i \pi}{4}} \alpha)=(z-\alpha)(z+\alpha)[/itex]
Ahhh, [itex]\alpha[/itex] is NOT equal to [itex]ie^{\frac{i\pi}{4}}\alpha[/itex]. Why would you think it was?
[tex]ie^{\pi/4}= i(\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}+ i\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2})= -\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}+ i\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[/tex]

so poles at +/-alpha

the other term in the denominator gives poles at +/-i alpha.

so we have four simple poles and then it should be easy to get residues etc.

would there have been an easier way to factorise this that would have avoided dealing with exponentials?
The fourth roots of [itex]-\alpha[/itex] lie on a circle in the complex plane with radius [itex]\alpha^{1/4}[/itex] and center at 0. Since the argument of -1 is [itex]\pi[/itex] the arguments of the fourth roots of [itex]-\alpha[/itex] are [itex]\pi/4[/itex], [itex]3\pi/4[/itex], [itex]5\pi/4[/itex], and [itex]7\pi/4[/itex]. The first two of those are in the upper half plane.

my bad. i was still working with [itex]e^{\frac{i \pi}{2}}[/itex] and so just used i*i and i*(-i). a lesson in taking your time. ok so then i just evalueate the residues of simples poles as usual i.e.

now if i let [itex]Q=-\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}+i\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[/itex] then the residue at Q can be obtained by

[itex]\lim_{z \rightarrow Q} \frac{(z-Q)(ze^{iz})}{z^4+\alpha^4}[/itex] yes?

secondly,
could i also have found the poles by considering the fourth roots of [itex]-\alpha^4[/itex] and using de Moivre then like youy did above? (or would it be the fourth roots of [itex]\alpha^4[/itex] - I'm inclined to go with the first but would like to double check)

thanks.

surely multiplying by z-Q on the top is going to leave a whole bunch of crap on the denominator and its going to get very messy!

Related to Residues of Poles in Upper Half Plane for $f(z)$

1. What are residues of poles in the upper half plane for $f(z)$?

The residues of poles in the upper half plane for $f(z)$ refer to the values obtained when computing the Laurent series expansion of $f(z)$ around a pole located in the upper half plane of the complex plane. These residues are important in calculating the contour integrals of $f(z)$ over closed curves that enclose the pole.

2. How do you determine the residues of poles in the upper half plane?

To determine the residues of poles in the upper half plane, you can use the formula $Res(f,c) = \frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_C f(z) dz$, where $C$ is a closed curve enclosing the pole $c$. This integral can be evaluated using the Cauchy integral formula or by computing the Laurent series expansion of $f(z)$ around the pole.

3. What is the significance of residues of poles in the upper half plane?

The residues of poles in the upper half plane are important in complex analysis as they help in evaluating complex integrals and calculating the value of functions at singular points. They also play a crucial role in the study of meromorphic functions and the behavior of functions in the complex plane.

4. Can residues of poles in the upper half plane be negative?

Yes, residues of poles in the upper half plane can be negative. The value of the residue is determined by the order of the pole and the coefficients of the Laurent series expansion. If the coefficients are negative, then the residue will also be negative.

5. How are residues of poles in the upper half plane used in practical applications?

The residues of poles in the upper half plane have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are used in solving differential equations, evaluating complex integrals, and analyzing the behavior of systems with poles. They are also used in signal processing, control theory, and in the design of filters and other systems with complex responses.