Residue Calculus integrate Sqrt(x)ln(x)/(1+x^2)

In summary, the limit for the integral around the origin is when r=0 and R=\infty. The limit for the integral around the larger arc is when r=1 and R=\infty.
Ratpigeon

Homework Statement

Integrate from zero to infinity;

f(x)=\sqrt(x)log(x)/(x^2+1)

Homework Equations

Branch cut makes log(z)= ln|z|+i Arg(z)

Poles are at +/- i and Res(z=i) is \pi/4 e^(i \pi/4)

I'll need to close the contour; probably as an annullus in the top half of the plane with r<1, R>1

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the total integral is 2\pi i Res(z=i) since that's the only pole enclosed in the annulus; but I can't see how to show that the semicircles go to zero as the radius goes to zero/infinity
I worked out that (converting z=r' e^ix
|∫f(z) dz|<=∫|fz|dz and |f(z)|= \sqrt((r')(ln|r'|^2+x^2))/(\sqrt(r'^2 cos^2(2x)+1)^2+r'^4 sin^2(2x))
|f(z)|<=\sqrt((r')(ln|r'|^2+x^2))/(r'^2) (by taking out the +1 in the denominator
But I don't see how this has a limit at zero as r->0 and R->\infty
Help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ratpigeon said:

Homework Statement

Integrate from zero to infinity;

f(x)=\sqrt(x)log(x)/(x^2+1)

Homework Equations

Branch cut makes log(z)= ln|z|+i Arg(z)

Poles are at +/- i and Res(z=i) is \pi/4 e^(i \pi/4)

I'll need to close the contour; probably as an annullus in the top half of the plane with r<1, R>1

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the total integral is 2\pi i Res(z=i) since that's the only pole enclosed in the annulus; but I can't see how to show that the semicircles go to zero as the radius goes to zero/infinity
I worked out that (converting z=r' e^ix
|∫f(z) dz|<=∫|fz|dz and |f(z)|= \sqrt((r')(ln|r'|^2+x^2))/(\sqrt(r'^2 cos^2(2x)+1)^2+r'^4 sin^2(2x))
|f(z)|<=\sqrt((r')(ln|r'|^2+x^2))/(r'^2) (by taking out the +1 in the denominator
But I don't see how this has a limit at zero as r->0 and R->\infty
Help would be much appreciated.

First consider the indentation around the origin. If we let [itex]z=\rho e^{it}[/itex], then the integral becomes:

[tex]\lim_{\rho\to 0} \int_a^b \frac{\rho^{1/2} e^{it/2} \left(\ln(\rho)+it\right) \rho i e^{it}}{\rho^2 e^{2 i t}+1} dt[/tex]

Now, what is:

[tex]\lim_{\rho\to 0} \frac{\rho^{1/2} e^{it/2} \left(\ln(\rho)+it\right) \rho i e^{it}}{\rho^2 e^{2 i t}+1}[/tex]

Well surely the denominator goes to just one right? Scrap everything in the numerator that's not a [itex]\rho[/itex] (we could just let them equal a big number for that matter and it won't affect the limit). And so you're left with:

[tex]\lim_{\rho\to 0} \rho^{3/2} \ln(\rho)[/tex]

Now you try and do the same type of analysis with [itex]R\to\infty[/itex] for the larger arc.

Last edited:
Thanks thatreally helped. i got it out now

Related to Residue Calculus integrate Sqrt(x)ln(x)/(1+x^2)

1. What is residue calculus?

Residue calculus is a mathematical tool used in complex analysis to evaluate complex integrals. It involves using the concept of residues, which are the values of the function at the singular points, to calculate the integral.

2. What is the formula for calculating residues?

The formula for calculating the residue of a function at a singular point is Res(f,z0) = limz→z0 (z-z0)f(z).

3. How do you integrate sqrt(x)ln(x)/(1+x^2) using residue calculus?

To integrate sqrt(x)ln(x)/(1+x^2) using residue calculus, we first need to find the singular points of the function, which in this case are z=0 and z=i. Then, we use the formula Res(f,z0) = limz→z0 (z-z0)f(z) to calculate the residues at each point. Finally, we use the residue theorem to evaluate the integral.

4. What is the residue theorem?

The residue theorem states that for a function f with a finite number of singularities inside a closed contour C, the integral of f around C is equal to 2πi times the sum of the residues of f at the singular points inside C.

5. What are the applications of residue calculus?

Residue calculus has many applications in mathematics and physics. It is used to solve complex integrals, evaluate infinite series, and even calculate real integrals. It is also used in the study of differential equations and in signal processing and control systems.