Research Topic: What would you choose?

In summary, for your computer science research, you are considering topics such as computer security, networks/communication, software engineering, and hardware/architecture. However, as you are looking for something interesting and fun, you may also want to consider topics such as artificial intelligence, virtual and augmented reality, big data and data analytics, human-computer interaction, and the Internet of Things. Ultimately, the most important factor is your own interest and passion for the topic you choose.
and9
As a physics/comp sci double major, for my honors degree I have to partake in a year of directed independent research. I'm currently doing physics research in the field of cosmology, specifically the CMBR and optimizing scan strategies for asymmetric beam patterns.

For my computer science research I want to take a different direction. I'm curious to see what you guys think of the following branches / topics:

1) Computer security:
- development of malware detecting algorithms/code
- exploit discovery (finding new vulnerabilities such as buffer overflow, etc)
- cryptography

2) Networks/communication
- protocol optimization of wireless networks

3) Software Engineering
- developing Android application (anything... a game or useful software)
- ?

4) Hardware/Architecture
- rather not do anything here as I've had class with the only professor at my university who does research in this field and the person is not very pleasant.

5) ??

Anything you guys can think of that would be interesting and fun?

Physics news on Phys.org

I think all of the topics you have listed are interesting and have potential for research. However, since you are looking for something that is both interesting and fun, I would recommend considering the following topics:

1) Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning: This is a growing field with many potential applications in computer science. You could explore topics such as developing AI algorithms for data analysis, natural language processing, or computer vision. This could also tie in with your physics background if you are interested in exploring AI applications in particle physics or cosmology.

2) Virtual and Augmented Reality: With the rise of VR and AR technology, there is a lot of potential for research in this field. You could explore topics such as developing new VR/AR applications or improving the user experience through optimization and user testing.

3) Big Data and Data Analytics: This is another rapidly growing field with many potential applications. You could explore topics such as developing algorithms for processing and analyzing large datasets, or using data analytics to solve real-world problems.

4) Human-Computer Interaction: This field focuses on how people interact with technology and how to improve that interaction. You could explore topics such as user interface design, usability testing, or developing new technologies for human-computer interaction.

5) Internet of Things (IoT): This is another emerging field with many potential applications. You could explore topics such as developing new IoT devices, improving IoT security, or exploring the potential of IoT in various industries.

Ultimately, the most important factor in choosing a research topic is your own interest and passion. Consider what topics excite you the most and what you would enjoy spending a year researching and working on. Good luck with your research!

Related to Research Topic: What would you choose?

1. What is the purpose of this research topic?

The purpose of this research topic is to explore different perspectives and opinions on the topic and ultimately make a decision based on the findings.

2. How will you conduct your research?

I will conduct my research through various methods such as literature review, surveys, experiments, and interviews to gather relevant information and data.

3. What factors will you consider when making your decision?

I will consider factors such as the credibility of sources, the validity of data, and the relevance of information to the topic. I will also take into account any biases or limitations of the research.

4. What are the potential implications of your choice?

The potential implications of my choice could include both positive and negative consequences. It is important to carefully weigh all factors and consider potential outcomes before making a decision.

5. How will your research contribute to the existing knowledge on this topic?

My research will contribute to the existing knowledge on this topic by providing a comprehensive analysis and evaluation of different perspectives and presenting a well-informed decision based on the findings.