EE Research Topics? (Undegraduate)

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of undergraduate research topics in the field of electrical engineering (EE). The speaker is a second/third year student who has applied for a research award and is seeking advice on possible research areas. They mention being asked about their interests by professors and not being sure of their specific area of interest. They ask for suggestions on major areas of study for EE and specific research topic ideas, as well as experiences from others who have worked or conducted research in related fields.
jegues
EE Research Topics? (Undegraduate)

Hello all!

I've just recently applied for undergraduate student research award, and if I do end up winning I will have to discuss with one or several professors my interests and the possibilities of them having a spot for me within one of their labs.

The problem is that I'm still just a 2nd/3rd year EE student and I'm not entirely sure what my area of interest is specifically.

I keep getting asked the same question over and over by my proffesors, what my "interests" are. I have a tough time answering their question because I haven't had the opportunity to really explore any of the fields in which I could/would be conducting research.

Could someone toss out a few of the major areas of study for EE's and perhaps a brief description?

Also, any specific ideas for a research topic would also be greatly appreciated.

Any advice/comments/suggestions that could potentially clear things up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

EDIT: I had just done a quick google at my uni's website and managed the find the areas of research in which the department currently participates: applied electromagnetics; atmospheric optics; biomedical engineering; biophotonics; communications engineering; computer architecture and software systems; microelectronics; power apparatus and systems; signal processing; systems engineering and telecommunications.

Does anyone have any experiences working/doing research in any of these fields they would like to share?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Bump, I'd love to hear from some of the EE's I know we have on this forum ;)

Related to EE Research Topics? (Undegraduate)

1. What types of research topics are typically covered in undergraduate EE courses?

Undergraduate EE courses cover a wide range of research topics, including but not limited to electromagnetics, digital signal processing, microelectronics, power systems, and control systems. These topics are closely related to the fundamental principles of electrical engineering and are essential for understanding advanced concepts in the field.

2. How do I choose a research topic for my undergraduate EE project?

Choosing a research topic for your undergraduate EE project can be a daunting task. It is important to first identify your areas of interest and then narrow down your options based on the available resources and expertise of your faculty. You can also consult with your professors or peers for guidance and suggestions.

3. Can I work on a research topic that is not directly related to my coursework?

Absolutely! In fact, it is encouraged to explore topics outside of your coursework to expand your knowledge and skills. However, it is important to ensure that you have a strong understanding of the fundamentals before delving into more advanced topics.

4. How can I conduct effective research for my EE project?

To conduct effective research for your EE project, it is important to start by clearly defining your research question or problem statement. Then, gather relevant resources such as textbooks, journal articles, and online databases. It is also helpful to establish a timeline and seek guidance from your professors or research mentors.

5. Can I collaborate with other students on an EE research project?

Collaborating with other students on an EE research project can be a great learning experience. It allows for the exchange of ideas and skills, and can also lead to more impactful and innovative research. However, it is important to have clear communication and establish roles and responsibilities to ensure a successful collaboration.