Research topic for an undergraduate regarding integrated optics

In summary: Rather than a topic, do you have any books(regarding this field or introducing related Mathematics) or materials that you recommended?
NexusN
Hello everyone,

I am an undergraduate in Elec. Engineering, and will be doing my final year project(doing a research on a topic for a year).
My interest is on optoelectronic, I want to study the future of integrated optics and the possibility of replacing ordinary circuit by optical circuit(eventually reaching all optical computing).
However, I am still a novice and know not much about the recent topics.
I only have very basic knowledge of the area, knowing a bit the fundamental of light transmission via optical fiber.

To learn more, I would like to set my Final year Project topic a research in this field, do you have any idea for that?
As I have only a year of time(sure I will continue my research after the FYP if possible), I worry I cannot go too far in the given time.
Would you mind suggesting something for the topic in view of the above?

Thank you in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
NexusN said:
Hello everyone,

I am an undergraduate in Elec. Engineering, and will be doing my final year project(doing a research on a topic for a year).
My interest is on optoelectronic, I want to study the future of integrated optics and the possibility of replacing ordinary circuit by optical circuit(eventually reaching all optical computing).
However, I am still a novice and know not much about the recent topics.
I only have very basic knowledge of the area, knowing a bit the fundamental of light transmission via optical fiber.

To learn more, I would like to set my Final year Project topic a research in this field, do you have any idea for that?
As I have only a year of time(sure I will continue my research after the FYP if possible), I worry I cannot go too far in the given time.
Would you mind suggesting something for the topic in view of the above?

Thank you in advance.

Does the project require actual experimental work to be performed? Or just research and calculations?

One area I think is very exciting and up-and-coming is plasmonic optics which is probably the "next big thing" in the field. My company has been working with some folks who are developing products based on it. It also seems to be the most likely way for Moore's Law photolithography dimensions to continue shrinking. Here's an overview article about it:

http://higgs.mines.edu/plasmon/maier-05.pdf

Doing something with this experimentally might be a challenge but you might find a way.

Last edited by a moderator:
jsgruszynski said:
Does the project require actual experimental work to be performed? Or just research and calculations?

One area I think is very exciting and up-and-coming is plasmonic optics which is probably the "next big thing" in the field. My company has been working with some folks who are developing products based on it. It also seems to be the most likely way for Moore's Law photolithography dimensions to continue shrinking. Here's an overview article about it:

http://higgs.mines.edu/plasmon/maier-05.pdf

Doing something with this experimentally might be a challenge but you might find a way.

I will require to do some experiments if possible, what I am worrying is the equipment is not up to the standard for advanced work.
Especially in this field, as far as I know, my college doesn't have much resources, so experiments would be limited and probably my focus will be on paper work.
Thank you for your idea, I will study it when I am available.

Rather than a topic, do you have any books(regarding this field or introducing related Mathematics) or materials that you recommended?
Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Research topic for an undergraduate regarding integrated optics

1. What is integrated optics?

Integrated optics is a field of study that combines optics and electronics to create miniaturized optical devices on a single chip. These devices use light to carry and process information, making them useful in areas such as telecommunications, sensors, and biomedical imaging.

2. How is integrated optics different from traditional optics?

Traditional optics involves using bulk optical components, such as lenses and mirrors, to manipulate light. Integrated optics, on the other hand, uses microfabrication techniques to create structures on a small scale, allowing for compact and efficient devices.

3. What are some common applications of integrated optics?

Integrated optics has a wide range of applications, including telecommunications (e.g. fiber optic networks), optical sensing (e.g. environmental monitoring), and biomedical imaging (e.g. endoscopy). It is also being explored for use in quantum computing and data storage.

4. What are the challenges in developing integrated optics devices?

One of the main challenges in integrated optics is achieving efficient light coupling between different components on the chip. This requires precise alignment and control of the light, as well as addressing issues such as loss and interference. Another challenge is integrating different materials, such as silicon and III-V semiconductors, which have different optical properties.

5. How can I get involved in research on integrated optics as an undergraduate?

There are several ways to get involved in research on integrated optics as an undergraduate. You can reach out to professors or research groups at your university who are working in this field and inquire about opportunities to join their team. You can also look for internships or research programs at other institutions or companies that focus on integrated optics. Additionally, you can attend conferences or workshops to learn more about the latest developments in this field and network with researchers in the field.