Research study on Digital Delay/Pulse Generators

In summary: And I am not sure if you are looking for a long term use generator or just for a specific project. Thank you for your time!In summary, when choosing a DD/PG, you should look for one that is specialized for its use, has a good reputation, and is available in more brands.
Emm
Hello everyone,

I am doing a little bit of research on Digital Delay and Pulse Generators, and I would like to ask a question to anyone who works with that kind of equipment. How do you choose a DD/PG? The main criterion I guess should be it's function (DD/PG models are normally very specialized into a given application for its use), but I am looking for other choice criteria: are there more popular brands? More reliable models on a long term basis? What do you look for in a DD/PG?

Thank you in advance for your kind help.

P.S. I hope this is the right place to post this kind of question, if not please tell me and I will move it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
How accurate do you need to be? A counter and some and gates with switches
can get you a pretty digital delay.
When I need good equipment for my own use, I look on ebay.
some of it is a little older, but some of the old HP is built like a tank.

Well, I am not actually going to use one right now (in a couple of months probably), so for now I just want to know in general how you choose DD/PGs. Your answer was very interesting, thank you. I went to check ebay for the products they have, and I've noticed there are mostly HP/Agilent pulse generators and Stanford Research Systems (SRS) digital delay generators being sold there. What about other brands, do you consider them as possibilities when you want to buy a generator, or simply go for the most available product? I am thinking in particular of BNC, Avtech, Quantum Composers, TTi (Thurlby Thandar), Tektronix ... I mean there is a lot of choice. How do you make sure you will make the right one? Comparing the specs of every model is kind of laborious (talking from experience lol).

Related to Research study on Digital Delay/Pulse Generators

1. What is a Digital Delay/Pulse Generator?

A Digital Delay/Pulse Generator is a type of electronic device that is used to generate precise and adjustable pulses or delays in digital systems. It is commonly used in research studies to control and measure the timing of electronic signals.

2. How does a Digital Delay/Pulse Generator work?

A Digital Delay/Pulse Generator operates by using a digital clock to produce a series of pulses, which are then shaped and controlled by various circuitry to create a precise delay or pulse width. The output signals can be adjusted and synchronized with other electronic devices for accurate timing measurements.

3. What are the applications of Digital Delay/Pulse Generators in research studies?

Digital Delay/Pulse Generators are commonly used in research studies involving electronic systems, such as in the fields of physics, engineering, and computer science. They can be used to study and analyze the behavior of digital circuits, test and calibrate electronic devices, and measure the response time of various components.

4. What are the key features to consider when choosing a Digital Delay/Pulse Generator for a research study?

Some important features to consider when selecting a Digital Delay/Pulse Generator for a research study include the number and accuracy of the output channels, the range and resolution of the delay or pulse width, the maximum frequency and amplitude of the signals, and the ability to synchronize with other instruments.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when using a Digital Delay/Pulse Generator in a research study?

Yes, it is important to carefully read and follow the manufacturer's instructions for safe operation of the Digital Delay/Pulse Generator. It is also recommended to use appropriate protective equipment, such as gloves and safety glasses, when handling the device. Additionally, make sure to only use the device within its specified voltage and current limits to prevent damage or potential hazards.