Research Scientist or Physicist

In summary, the individual has a background in BME and a PhD in MRI. They are currently working as a Research Scientist at a hospital but are facing challenges in conducting their desired research due to political and physical constraints. As a result, they are considering applying for a medical physicist position for routine clinical duties and job security. However, it is noted that medical physicists are also expected to do research and have faculty positions, and if they are considering radiation oncology, they may need to undergo retraining. The individual is seeking feedback on the pros and cons of this potential career change.
dingdong12
I want to have some career advice from you all, let me first start with my background...

I graduated from a BME program, and finished a PhD in MRI last year. I am currently a Research Scientist at a hospital. After working for almost a year, I found myself lacking ideas in doing research. To be more precised, I couldn't do what I wanted to do due to some political issues and/or physical constraints. And I found myself are becoming less and less competitive if I wish to go for faculty post (since for every paper I wrote, I am not the first author).

Recently, I am considering applying medical physicist position elsewhere. The reason behind is that there're routine clinical duties and higher job security.

Any comments?

Physics news on Phys.org
The MRI medical physicists I know are expected to do research and have faculty positions. If you're talking about radiation oncology medical physics, you'll likely have to do some retraining to get into the field.

Yes, I am considering going into some resident training program for radiation oncology physicist.
Any pros and cons for my decisions?

Related to Research Scientist or Physicist

1. What is the difference between a research scientist and a physicist?

A research scientist is a broad term that can encompass many fields of study, while a physicist is a specific type of scientist who studies matter, energy, and the interactions between them. Physicists often work in more specialized areas such as astrophysics, nuclear physics, or quantum mechanics.

2. What does a typical day look like for a research scientist or physicist?

A typical day for a research scientist or physicist can vary greatly depending on their specific field of study and current projects. It may involve conducting experiments, analyzing data, writing reports or papers, attending meetings or conferences, and collaborating with other scientists.

3. What skills are necessary to become a successful research scientist or physicist?

Some important skills for a research scientist or physicist include critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, and strong mathematical and analytical abilities. Excellent communication and collaboration skills are also important for working with other scientists and presenting research findings.

4. What type of education is required to become a research scientist or physicist?

Most research scientists and physicists have a minimum of a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as physics, chemistry, or engineering. Many also go on to earn a master's or doctoral degree for more specialized research opportunities. Continuing education and staying up-to-date on advancements in their field is also important for success.

5. What are the career opportunities for research scientists and physicists?

Research scientists and physicists have a wide range of career opportunities, including working in academia, government research labs, private companies, and non-profit organizations. They may also pursue careers in teaching, consulting, or science communication. The demand for research scientists and physicists is expected to grow in fields such as renewable energy, healthcare, and technology.