Research Opportunities for Canadian Student

In summary: Many departments have lists of current research projects that are open to undergraduates. You can also look for job postings on websites like Indeed or the Chronicle of Higher Education.
NATURE.M
Hey,

I am currently looking for potential 2015 summer research opportunities. And as the title suggests I am a 2nd year Canadian undergraduate physics and computer science student, hence places like NASA are not possible since such opportunities require US citizenship. I know its earlier, and most job postings are available in January for summer opportunities, but I'd like to plan ahead. Ideally, I'd like to get a position that relates somewhat to applied science (where that can be something related to scientific computing, something experimental, or something more applied). Interests include; applied plasma physics, accelerator science, optics, thermal science, fluid mechanics (but I would generally be satisfied with anything given its not purely theoretical). At this point, TRUIMF, and possibly opportunities within my university are the only places I have. Any other possible suggestions, or places (labs or research facilities) I can check out (within Canada or outside, but that allows Canadian students to apply) that offers summer research positions to undergraduate students.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
There are many research opportunities for physics undergrads in Canada. You are correct in that most applications will be open between January to March.

The biggest opportunities are through NSERC USRA's (A Canadian version of the REU) that are awarded through each Canadian Universities' Physics Departments (the ones that have physics departments). These awards are very prestigious and fund you (the undergrad) to do summer research at the host University (it doesn't have to be YOUR university, a significant amount of USRA's go to Canadian students from other universities). The research topic is up to you and the host university. I highly recommend looking into this program around January, or if you are eager, ask your department head about it. You will have to apply separately to each University you are interested in. I was awarded one such award, feel free to ask me any further questions about the application process.

TRIUMF, as you mentioned, hires many undergrads. When I was employed there, there were ~40 undergraduates all working on different research topics. The applications will open late January to early February, these positions are also highly competitive.

Each university will also have many other programs that involve doing research as an undergraduate. The best way to learn about these is to visit the University's department website and look for a 'research opportunities' link. Most positions are open to all physics students (from any school). If you have trouble finding information, email the department, they will surely have information from last year available.

Also, if there is a specific professor that you wish to work with (in your school, or another in Canada), don't be shy, ask them if there are any opportunities for an undergraduate to do work with their group. Once you start looking, you will be surprised by how many diverse opportunities are out there for you.

Can undergrads actually do research in second year? I mean by that time you only know Calc 2, and just some general physics? Is it possible to give me some examples of what you actually do there? I would imagine they make you do the lesser jobs, that don't have much to do with the actual physics?
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but if you can actually do research job as second year, it would make me very excited.

joneiljack said:
Can undergrads actually do research in second year? I mean by that time you only know Calc 2, and just some general physics? Is it possible to give me some examples of what you actually do there? I would imagine they make you do the lesser jobs, that don't have much to do with the actual physics?
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but if you can actually do research job as second year, it would make me very excited.

A lot depends on the opportunities available at the time. It's rare that a student has the capacity and the means to lead a research project, but experimental work can involve repetative measurements, simple number-crunching type analysis and/or basic programming. Even high school students can participate in research under the right circumstances.

If you're interested, start asking around at your school for opportunities.

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out and expressing your interest in summer research opportunities. I understand the importance of planning ahead and seeking out potential opportunities in your field of interest.

I would recommend checking with universities and research institutions in Canada, as well as government agencies such as the National Research Council of Canada. These organizations often have summer research programs specifically for undergraduate students. Additionally, you can also look into international programs that accept Canadian students, such as the International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience (IAESTE).

In terms of your specific interests, I would suggest reaching out to professors or researchers in your field to inquire about potential research projects or collaborations. They may also be able to connect you with other opportunities or point you in the right direction.

I wish you the best of luck in your search for a summer research position and encourage you to continue pursuing your interests in applied science. Keep an eye out for upcoming job postings and don't hesitate to reach out to potential mentors or advisors for guidance and support.

Best regards,

Related to Research Opportunities for Canadian Student

1. What types of research opportunities are available for Canadian students?

There are various types of research opportunities available for Canadian students, including summer research programs, internships, co-op placements, and volunteer positions. These opportunities can be found in a wide range of fields, such as science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.

2. How can I find research opportunities as a Canadian student?

There are several ways to find research opportunities as a Canadian student. You can search for them on university or college websites, attend career fairs and networking events, reach out to professors or researchers directly, or use online platforms that connect students with research opportunities.

3. Do I need previous research experience to apply for these opportunities?

No, previous research experience is not always required to apply for research opportunities as a Canadian student. Many programs and positions are designed for students who are new to research and provide training and mentorship to help them develop their skills.

4. Are there any funding opportunities for Canadian students pursuing research opportunities?

Yes, there are various funding opportunities available for Canadian students pursuing research opportunities. These may include scholarships, grants, or stipends provided by universities, government agencies, or private organizations. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities as early as possible.

5. Can international students also apply for research opportunities in Canada?

Yes, international students can also apply for research opportunities in Canada. However, they may be subject to different eligibility criteria and application processes compared to Canadian students. It is important to check with the specific program or position for their requirements for international applicants.