Research Opportunities and Graduate School

Good luck! In summary, the speaker is a junior physics/applied math double major considering graduate school for a PhD in physics, applied physics, or nuclear engineering. They are seeking advice on different research opportunities and the potential benefits of taking a fifth year to continue their studies.
Marc.Lowe
Hi all,

I'm a junior physics/applied math double major at a state school in Wisconsin. I'm on my third year of nuclear physics research experience (freshman year wasn't physics, but it was nuclear related) and I'm looking to go to grad school for a PhD likely in physics, applied physics or nuclear engineering. I'm leaning primarily towards applied physics at this point.

My question is this, how do different research opportunities match up? That is, an REU at another school, research at a national lab, working with a prof at your school etc. My research advisor has told me that she can send me to a national lab over the summer if I have no other desires, where I would likely work on another nuclear physics project. However, I am beginning to get a little concerned as I have never experienced another field other than nuclear physics. Not that I dislike the field, I do enjoy it a lot, but I don't want to end up wishing I would've tried something else in the future. That being said, I may have the opportunity to study computational fluid dynamics with a professor from my current university. How different would these summers potentially be viewed by a graduate school? I'm trying to build the best application I can (my understanding is applied physics programs are quite competitive). Of course my own interests should play a role as well, I have heard fluids is a good place to start for plasma, which is also a field of interest for an applied physics PhD. He got his degree from Cornell and has done a good amount of fluid dynamics research in the past but not quite as much nowadays, though of course he still does to some extent.

My other question is, how is taking 5 years to earn a degree viewed by a graduate institution? I wouldn't be really reducing my course load but it would allow for more classes as well as another year of research experience. I have had some personal (family) issues in the past and struggled a little in school my first two years (sitting on a ~3.2). I'm in a significantly better state after my first REU this summer and am confident my grades will be up but I would think a 5th year would aid my application.

Any responses are much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks in advance!</code>It sounds like you are doing a great job of researching and considering your options for the future. Graduate schools will take into account the different research experiences you have had, and it is great that you are looking to gain experience in other fields as well. Taking a fifth year to continue your studies and to gain more research experience can also be beneficial, as it can show your commitment and dedication to the field. Ultimately, the best way to make your application stand out is to make sure you have a strong set of research experiences and accomplishments.

Related to Research Opportunities and Graduate School

1. What are the benefits of pursuing research opportunities during undergraduate studies?

Research opportunities during undergraduate studies allow students to gain hands-on experience in conducting research, develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and build a strong foundation for future graduate studies or careers in academia. It also provides opportunities for networking and mentorship with experienced researchers and can enhance a student's resume or graduate school application.

2. How can I find research opportunities as an undergraduate student?

One way to find research opportunities is by reaching out to professors or research labs in your field of interest and inquiring about available positions. You can also check with your university's career center or research office for any ongoing research projects or funding opportunities. Additionally, attending conferences and networking events can help you connect with potential research mentors.

3. What should I consider when choosing a graduate program for research?

When choosing a graduate program for research, it is important to consider the program's reputation and ranking, available resources and funding for research, faculty expertise and research interests, and the program's curriculum and requirements. It is also important to consider the location, culture, and overall fit of the program for your personal and professional goals.

4. What are the differences between a thesis-based and coursework-based graduate program?

A thesis-based graduate program typically involves conducting original research and writing a thesis under the supervision of a faculty advisor, while a coursework-based program focuses on completing coursework and may include a capstone project or comprehensive exam. Thesis-based programs are typically more research-intensive and may be preferred for students planning to pursue a career in academia, while coursework-based programs may be more suitable for students interested in industry or non-research-based careers.

5. How can I prepare for graduate school and a career in research?

To prepare for graduate school and a career in research, it is important to develop strong research skills, such as critical thinking, data analysis, and scientific writing. Additionally, gaining research experience through internships, volunteer positions, or undergraduate research opportunities can be beneficial. It is also important to network and build relationships with professors and researchers in your field, and to stay updated on current research and advancements in your area of interest.