Requirement of Automobile glasses

• Thread starter aniruddha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Automobile
In summary, the main properties required for an automobile glass are high impact resistance, compressive strength, and tensile strength. For window glasses, the most common materials used are laminated glass for windshields and toughened glass for the other windows. Acrylic is not commonly used for automobile glasses due to its susceptibility to UV damage, which can cloud the user's vision. Additionally, side windows need to be shatter-able in case of emergency, and acrylic is not suitable for this purpose. While some suppliers claim their acrylic material does not yellow or come with a warranty, it is generally more expensive compared to glass.
aniruddha
I just wanted to understand what are the main properties required for an automobile glass. I understand that for a windshield of an automobile, the material must have high impact resistance but do compressive and tensile strengths also matter that much?
For the window glasses in automobiles what properties are required?

I have generally observed that the windshield is made of laminated glass and the other glasses are generally toughened glasses.

why acrylic material sheets not used commonly in place of these glasses?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The issue with acrylic is that it tends to be susceptible to UV damage that would cloud the users vision. Have you ever seen a car with old, yellowed headlights? It's the same thing.
Acrylic can't be used for the side windows either because the side windows need to be shatter-able in case the vehicle becomes submerged.

Aside from that... I'm not too sure.

but i have seen a few suppliers of acrylic saying that their material doesn't yellow when exposed to sunlight and UV rays and some even give a warranty of 10 years.

i agree that the cars side glasses must me shatter-able so as to break open during emergency, but i suppose for other type of applications say in construction equipment they might be used. But i am not sure is acrylic costly compared to glass?

Related to Requirement of Automobile glasses

1. What are the types of glass used in automobiles?

There are two main types of glass used in automobiles: tempered and laminated. Tempered glass is used for side and rear windows, while laminated glass is used for windshields. Tempered glass is designed to shatter into small, safe pieces when broken, while laminated glass is made up of two layers with a plastic interlayer in between, providing strength and preventing shattering.

2. Why is it important to have high-quality glass in automobiles?

High-quality glass in automobiles is important for several reasons. Firstly, it provides structural integrity to the vehicle, keeping the roof from collapsing in the event of a rollover. Secondly, it helps to protect passengers in case of an accident, as it is designed to shatter safely and prevent injuries from sharp glass pieces. Lastly, it plays a crucial role in the overall aerodynamics and fuel efficiency of the vehicle.

3. How are automobile glasses tested for durability?

Automobile glasses undergo a series of tests to ensure their durability. These tests include impact resistance, which simulates a stone or object being thrown at the glass, and weathering tests, which expose the glass to extreme temperatures and weather conditions to check for any changes in strength or visibility. The glasses are also tested for optical quality and distortion to ensure clear visibility for the driver.

4. What is the difference between OEM and aftermarket automobile glasses?

OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) glasses are made by the same company that manufactured the original glass used in the vehicle. They are designed to meet the exact specifications and standards of the vehicle's manufacturer. Aftermarket glasses, on the other hand, are made by other companies and may not meet the same quality standards as OEM glasses. They are often cheaper, but may not fit or function as well as OEM glasses.

5. How can I tell if my automobile glass needs to be replaced?

If your windshield has a crack or chip that is larger than a dollar bill, it is recommended to have it replaced. Additionally, if the crack or chip is in the driver's line of sight, it can be a safety hazard and should be replaced. Other signs that your automobile glass may need to be replaced include discoloration, cloudiness, or scratches that obstruct your view. It is always best to have a professional inspect and replace your automobile glass if necessary.