Required Pressure for 5% Methane-95% Air Combustion to Heat to 853 K

• Thread starter mifarris
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combustion
In summary: Ptotal = PCH4 + Pdry air. In order to determine the partial pressure of methane needed, you would add the pressure of the compressed gas (100kPa) to the pressure of the ambient gas (PCH4).
mifarris

Homework Statement

I want to figure out what pressure would need to be applied onto a 5% methane 95% air mixture to heat it up to the autoignition temp of 853 K.

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with LEL (Lower Explosive Limit)?

The LEL is the leanest mixture in which it will still be flammable, which I believe for methane air the explosive limts are 5-15% so 5% would be the LEL?

Most authorities give LEL as slightly above 5%, but even if it were 5% you'd have a very hard time exploding it. Further, Burgess and Hertzberg think LEL rises with pressure. Here is a link to some of their work, albeit with spark ignition. Note they use LFL - almost the same but more specific to mine safety.
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/mining/pubs/pdfs/fompa.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much for the link. Looks like I will find some useful information in this source!

mifarris said:
Thank you very much for the link. Looks like I will find some useful information in this source!

Oops! A thousand pardons. I forgot to compare the lowering of LEL due to elevated temperature against the raising of LEL due to elevated pressure. Both are empirical formulas and I don't know their interaction (if any). Somewhere within the combustion engineering literature may be a graph showing both, but I believe it most likely your mixture WILL be explosive at that temperature.

This paper is helpful but I am trying to figure out how much pressure needs to be applied to autoignite, not how much pressure is released when it is ignited by a spark. That seems like the concept of that paper.

The problem is I am going to have to pipes coming into a T. Compressed in one and methane in the other. My intention is to only have one of them on at a time, but I wanted to make sure in case a valve failed etc, that if the two flows met at pressure, they wouldn't autoignite.

I don't get you.

At first I thought you asked about adiabatic compression where temperature rises till it is high enough for autoignition (853 K) - something like is happening in Diesel engine.

But now you state you will be mixing compressed gases. You can compress them, cool them, mix them. No heating, no autoignition.

Or am I missing something?

That is true. I just needed to numerically prove what temperature pressure relations auto ignition could happen at even though our temps would be no where close. they wanted to see it on paper, but I found what i needed in a combustion physics book but thank you so much for the input!

Here is more or less what I was looking for(attachment):

Attachments

• Methane Combustion.JPG
    Methane Combustion.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 540
Hi there..I'm newbie here.I'm doing my MSc of Laminar Combustion of methane/air mixtures. I got some problem so hope u guys can help me out.

1. If given initial condition of before ignition, with P=100kPa and [tex]\phi[/tex]= 1.2, HOW do I determine the partial pressure of methane needed?

Ptotal = PCH4 + Pdry air
100kPa = PCH4 + Pdry air rite??

correct me if I'm wrong..

Related to Required Pressure for 5% Methane-95% Air Combustion to Heat to 853 K

1. What is the required pressure for 5% methane-95% air combustion to heat to 853 K?

The required pressure for this combustion to reach 853 K will depend on various factors such as the initial temperature, volume, and composition of the mixture. However, in general, a higher pressure is needed for a lower initial temperature and larger volume of the mixture. On average, a pressure of around 10-20 atmospheres (atm) is needed for this combustion to reach 853 K.

2. How does the percentage of methane affect the required pressure for combustion?

The percentage of methane in the mixture will have a direct impact on the required pressure for combustion. This is because methane is the main combustible component in the mixture and therefore, a higher percentage of methane will require a higher pressure for the combustion to occur. For example, if the percentage of methane is increased from 5% to 10%, the required pressure may increase from 10 atm to 15 atm.

3. Can the required pressure for combustion be calculated using a formula?

Yes, the required pressure for combustion can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that pressure is directly proportional to temperature and volume. The formula for the ideal gas law is P = nRT/V, where P is pressure, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, T is temperature, and V is volume. By rearranging this formula, we can calculate the required pressure for combustion based on the other known variables.

4. Why is it important to heat the mixture to 853 K?

Heating the mixture to 853 K is important because it is the temperature at which the combustion reaction will occur and sustain itself. This is known as the ignition temperature. If the mixture is not heated to this temperature, the combustion reaction will not take place, and no energy will be produced.

5. Are there any safety considerations when determining the required pressure for this combustion?

Yes, there are several safety considerations to keep in mind when determining the required pressure for this combustion. Since high pressures are involved, it is important to ensure that all equipment and containers used for the combustion are properly designed and can withstand the pressure. Additionally, proper safety precautions should be taken to prevent any potential accidents or explosions during the combustion process.